Options

[A Song of Ice and Fire, Books and Books+Show] Touch this thread and all shall be spoilt

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    But there is a large degree of difference in power between Tywin and Tyrion. Tyrion takes over King's Landing and then Twyin shows up and takes it back and etc etc etc. Tyrion has to work within the system, not try and destroy it and get himself killed. Least not until you say whore one too many times and he's slated to die anyway.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Invisible wrote: »

Scanning down I like all of the choices pretty much. Although I have to agree that Thoros is a wierd choice. I guess it goes along the lines that they are casting the best choice and not the choice appropriate to description.

Tormund is the best choice of the list there. I think they nailed that one. He is suffiently scruffy already and just looks like him from my mind. Cant wait to see if they give the character sufficient screen time to show just how awesome a character he is.

I also like the choice for Blackfish and Beric.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I don't know why but I always thought Thoros looked like Louis CK

• Options
    quantumcat42quantumcat42 Registered User regular
    I saw him as a cross between Louis CK and the Alchemist from the Venture Bros.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    If anyone looks like Louis CK, it's The Red Viper

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Previously, on Marital Telepathy:
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Sigh.

So my wife and I usually know what the other is thinking. This makes it exceptionally hard to give her presents, but it also makes it super-difficult to spare her from spoilers (i.e., lie) when discussing things like books and TV--I usually consume things well in advance.

She's just finished the first book and is about to start the second. We had a little fun with some Youtube clips, the Downfall/Ned, so on...and then she turns to me and says:

"So. Ned's dead."

"Pretty much."

"Not coming back?"

"I think it's pretty final, yeah."

"What are they going to do in the next one, kill Catelyn?"

. o O ( Oh, crap! ...oh, wait!)

"Hah! No."

. o O ( trolololol )

Now the missus is into Book 3. Last night, she mentions to me:

"So, I think Gendry is Robert's son."

I'm a little confused by this, as it's pretty obvious by that point that he is, but then I realize his name might not have been brought up in Book 1, so I mention that it was set up previously and already known. Then, she hits me with (I know, I know):
    "Oh? And also? I think Jon is Lyanna's son."

"Huh. Why do you think that?" (I said this with my 'that is completely new and interesting information' voice.)

And then she goes into some of the things from the first book. It was like having an audiobook of Tower of the Hand.

Then I said, "So who's the father?" (I said this with my 'I am completely uninformed about this' voice.)
    "I don't know yet."

Almooooooost!

I was impressed because when I read through the series the first time (X years ago, only three books out), I didn't actually _think_ about any of those things. It was probably because I was on a trip at the time and raiding the library, but I pretty much blew through it all and took everything at face value--yeah, Jon is Ned's, sure, Cersei did it all, why the hell not, oh crap book 3, so on. It wasn't until we got the books ourselves that I read it carefully enough to 'get' the events. She's going through it more slowly but absorbing it much better than I am.

Can't wait to see how she takes the later events.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I suppose I imagined Thoros as more like Friar Tuck.

But I am happy with all the casting.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Tryin stops fighting people's notion of his as a monster and starts using it.

He's not one though

• Options
    One thing that's going to be weird is the lannisters are a spent force. Kevan was the last capable one of age. Jaimes absent Lancelot went funding and tyrions a fugitive. Cersei seems pretty much broken too

I think next book the tyrells are going to seize the Regency and start using tommen as a pawn.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I don't know why but I always thought Thoros looked like Louis CK

All the Myrish characters are Indian (as in, the subcontinent) to me.

It's really odd to me that Thoros is apparently like the whitest motherfucker in Essos.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Based on her last chapter, I wouldn't counter Cersei out just yet. Sure, she's broken as an overt power, but she could easily grow into another queen of thorns.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    One thing that's going to be weird is the lannisters are a spent force. Kevan was the last capable one of age. Jaimes absent Lancelot went funding and tyrions a fugitive. Cersei seems pretty much broken too

I think next book the tyrells are going to seize the Regency and start using tommen as a pawn.

Yeah, the Tyrells have manged to sideline the Lannisters through some plotting and some luck with other people going after them/their own incompetence. And the Martells are now entering the game too. I expect the Vale to start getting involved soon enough as well.

It's funny that alot of the previous powers have been swept aside now.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Oh shit Brutus from Rome is Edmure.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had heard the casting but totally hadn't connected who that was.

I can see it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Stannis would be a harsh king, but a just one.

He may not be the best king, but definitely one Westeros deserves. Better him than a Targaryen.

Also, how old is Ramsay supposed to be?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Let's get James Purefoy as Mance and this can be a little Rome reunion.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular

If prophecies are true and matter, Tommen probably needs to die pretty soon. Come to think of it, killing Tommen off because the Tyrells are managing to control him and I could totally see a "lolirony" moment where a Lannister, Cersei or Lancel, causes it through general stupidity.

House Lannister does seem to specialize in screwing things up like that.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think that it's funny if Cersei hadn't been such a colossal moron she could have easily steered things well into the Lannister's favor

• Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    I was impressed because when I read through the series the first time (X years ago, only three books out), I didn't actually _think_ about any of those things. It was probably because I was on a trip at the time and raiding the library, but I pretty much blew through it all and took everything at face value--yeah, Jon is Ned's, sure, Cersei did it all, why the hell not, oh crap book 3, so on. It wasn't until we got the books ourselves that I read it carefully enough to 'get' the events. She's going through it more slowly but absorbing it much better than I am.

I've only read the series the once, and it was after watching the first season of the show, so I blew through all five books as fast as possible just because I wanted to know what happens. As a result, I missed a lot of nuance like you're talking about here. I really need to do another run through so that I can absorb everything more carefully, especially since GRRM doesn't hold your hand and make everything explicitly clear.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I think that it's funny if Cersei hadn't been such a colossal moron she could have easily steered things well into the Lannister's favor

People vastly overplay Cersei's stupidity. She was completely correct to be terrified of the Tyrells and do her best to distance them from power; they did kill Joffrey.

Her two biggest mistakes were pissing off Kevan and drastically misunderstanding the disposition of the High Septon.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    There are lot of little things like the Larry, Curly and Moe stand-ins that I never would have got without the Internet.

• Options
    I've pretty much replaced book-cersei with tv-cersei in my mind now, because tv-cersei is much more clearly driven by her emotional fuckupedness, rather than being particularly stupid.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

People vastly overplay Cersei's stupidity. She was completely correct to be terrified of the Tyrells and do her best to distance them from power; they did kill Joffrey.

Her two biggest mistakes were pissing off Kevan and drastically misunderstanding the disposition of the High Septon.

The problem is that she's not just reasonably cautious about dangerous people, she's terrified out of her mind at all times because of the prophecy she received as a girl. Everything she does is driven by completely unchecked emotional impulses, with little to no thought given to repercussions. In the later books it's bordering on insanity.

Zek on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    She's always been that way though. It's just that until we get into her head, we really don't get the extent of it. But it's obvious in earlier books she's not near as clever as she often seems or thinks she is.

• Options
    Yeah, she happens to be right about the Tyrells, but not for any good reason. When you're convinced that everyone is always conspiring against you, sometimes you're gonna be right.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Yeah, she happens to be right about the Tyrells, but not for any good reason. When you're convinced that everyone is always conspiring against you, sometimes you're gonna be right.

True or not her plot to frame Margery was utterly stupid and hinged on the Kettlebacks, the dumbest goddamn knights in the kingdom.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

True or not her plot to frame Margery was utterly stupid and hinged on the Kettlebacks, the dumbest goddamn knights in the kingdom.

Yeah. The sad thing is that it would have worked if she hadn't had killed the previous High Septon.

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    Honestly, one of the missteps I felt like George RR Martin made was by going with the whole fortune teller angle. I really don't like when people throw that kind of thing in. I didn't like it in Harry Potter either, but it seemed to make a bit more sense in context there. I'm hoping, to some degree, that the whole fortune thing was a pile of shit, and Cersei realizes that right at the end to her great displeasure. That would be an interesting subversion of the trope.
    She's always been that way though. It's just that until we get into her head, we really don't get the extent of it. But it's obvious in earlier books she's not near as clever as she often seems or thinks she is.

She's playing checkers in the chess world of Baelish.

But there is a large degree of difference in power between Tywin and Tyrion. Tyrion takes over King's Landing and then Twyin shows up and takes it back and etc etc etc. Tyrion has to work within the system, not try and destroy it and get himself killed. Least not until you say whore one too many times and he's slated to die anyway.

Tywin asks Tyrion why he didn't truly take hold of the situation. It's true that Tywin is head of the house, but the Lannister forces that are at King's Landing know that Tyrion is acting under Tywin's authority. If they didn't want to risk the ire of Tywin, their loyalty laid with Tyrion. I grant that taking the Keep over might have been risky, but as far as I can tell, the alternative of Joffrey going about at will is far more dubious.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Prophecies seem to be a real thing in the world of ice and fire. They're not always clear, though. Cersei's prophecy said that she'll be killed by her little brother/younger sibling and she assumes that it'll be Tyrion because he's a monstrous horrible dwarf, but it could just as well be Jaime or even Daenerys who does her in.

• Options
    Or some of the big prophecies seem less in danger of not coming true, and more that they're liable to be fulfilled 4 times over.

Predicting gloom in Westeros isn't exactly betting against the house.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Exactly, also while the Tyrells did kill Joffery he was a colossal prick. One of the failings of the Lannisters as a ruling family is the complete lack of ability to identify and foster those who would excel. By all accounts Tyrion is the son that Tywin wanted as a ruler but he couldnt get over the fact he was an imp and "killed" his wife. Cersei tried too hard to protect her son who was a terrible terrible individual in everything. And Jamie didnt grow up until he had his hand chopped off.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    You know what this thread needs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pmTlMEKGrs

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    TV Cersei seems to be a bit more aware of Joffrey's terrible nature than book Cersei. TV Cersei seems more aware of it and concerned, and actively trying to still affect him, while book Cersei thinks his nature is fine but is afraid of being marginalized. It's pretty weird either way.

I hope Tommen and Sam meet up to party with sweets and kittens at some point.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    To be fair book Joff is a little more innocent in his depravity. He's much more of a bully experimenting with his limits and finding out nobody will stop him, it's not quite such a conscious evilness. Like beating on Sansa because he's sexually fixating on Sansa, but he's not quite aware of himself yet to simpy say, have her sent to his chambers.

Which makes sense really, since TV Joff is a few years older.

• Options
    ÄlterÄlter Registered User regular
    Maybe I am a bit late to the party here, but whats the situation/ruleset with Dany's whole "I can't be burned" thing? Is it something that the Targaryens inherit? (Probably not as her brother didn't seem to immune to the whole molten gold thing)

So (Jon Snow spoilers/theories ahead albeit common ones)
    Is that a nail in the coffin for the Lyanna + Rhaegar = Jon Snow theory? Jon has been victim to burns a couple of times already at this point in the story.

That's the sound of my shoes.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    She's the mother of dragons. Fire immunity is a miracle bestowed upon her. Jon Snow is still Lyanna's and Rhaegar's child.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    They aren't necessarily immune, just resistant. They have, so far as is known, a) heat resistance and b) precognition running in their families, but it isn't 100%.

If you go by the 'it's magic' theory, then who knows--maybe the traits wane and wax with the general flow of magical juice. If you go by the 'it's genetics' theory, that would be a way to explain the custom of intermarriage to improve the chances.

<wonky science below>
    For a standard sex-linked inherited trait, you have the parents Aerys and Rhaelle as brother and sister. Let's say Aerys has it (Xy) and Rhaelle is a carrier (Xx) (which implies a reversed situation for their parents--xy and at least Xx). In this way, you can have a situation where all the children are at least carriers. The daughter always gets Aerys's X, and gets another from Rhaelle (XX). Viserys could have picked up his mother's normal x (xy) and his father's crazy-as-bleep from whatever other genetics are occurring. Rhaegar's precognition could also come from this, or some other trait.

As far as Jon is concerned, if Rhaegar had it (Xy) there's zero chance that Jon would, since Lyanna is most likely normal (xx) and Rhaegar only gives the y--this is similar to color-blindness, where if your father has it and your mother does not carry, you will never have it but your sisters will all at least be carriers. So it doesn't really 'prove' anything. The odds change if the trait is a 'normal' one.

(Of course, heck, maybe Viserys _was_ immune and the gold just suffocated him. \o/)

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Regardless of anything, it's not even consistent for Dany. She burns her hands near the end of Dance with Dragons while having her hair burned off without repercussions. It's odd.

shadowane on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    It may only activate if the heat is severe enough to kill. Being surrounded by a funeral pyre? Yeah, it's kicking in. Picking up some hot stone from a fireplace? not so much.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    But she loves having hott, hott baths

Baths no Andal could survive!

f2ojmwh3geue.png