As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking to get a standing desk

Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
As the title says, I'm looking for a good standing/adjustable height desk for my computer, but I'm having trouble finding exactly what I'm looking for. I want something that's actually desk sized (as opposed to the stand up workstations that barely fit a monitor/keyboard). I want it to be adjustable between a standing and sitting height. And, of course, I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible. So far, the closest thing I've found is the GeekDesk. That one has just about everything I want, but I'm trying to find something a bit cheaper, if possible.

A non-electric version of the GeekDesk (assuming it was actually priced a bit cheaper) would be perfect. I've actually found a mechanical desk frame that uses a crank at www.tablelegworld.com, but desktops on that site are expensive enough to bump the price close to the GeekDesk anyway. If I could find desktops cheaper elsewhere, that would probably work, but my searching hasn't turned much up.

Anyone have any suggestions? If there are other good standing desk models out there that I've missed, feel free to suggest those as well.

Vi Monks on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    You could always just put a desktop from Ikea on that crank base. They have a customizable desk line, so they sell just desktops under the Vika model name. You should be able to find a good sized one for under $70 or $80 (possibly significantly less depending on the size you want and material). And you can always upgrade to a nicer top later if you decide to.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Ars Technica wrote an article about this very thing back in September. You should give it a look and you can read about the ones they used!

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    Milk is another height adjustable desk you could take a look at - has some other neat features as well.

Milk

• Options
    @Daenris

Those IKEA desk tops were exactly what I was looking for. Should have known to check there first. How do you attach a desk top anyway?

@godmode

Thanks for the article. Very helpful. Lead me to this Biomorph, which looks pretty nice. I might consider that one.

@Wezoin

Damn you for making me want a Milk desk before I realized that they cost $4000! :P Still, very nice looking, and I'd love to get one, but it's way out of my price range.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    I dont really have a link or vendor for you bc my solution is custom... but look for a used base fora drafting table. I have an electric one that moves from sitting to standing height with the push of a button. I installed an ikea butcher block counter top on it, and i love my desk now.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    They have Milk desks here at work for the FFTE's that want them, and yes, they are stupid expensive.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    @illig

Thanks for the suggestion, but after a bit of browsing, I couldn't really find one that suited me.

I actually decided to go with the GeekDesk frame and a desk top from Ikea. I think it will work out very well, and the price wasn't too bad either. Thanks to everyone who helped.

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    I built one out of pre-threaded iron tubing and a solid oak butcher top I found at the hardware store (similar idea as this) . All it takes is a pipe wrench, drill and a screw driver. It isn't adjustable but mine cost about $100 in material, all of which was new. If you wanted to adjust the height you'd have to swap out your upright tubes. The pipe I think ran me about $30 and the rest was put into the pre-finished hardwood top.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Forbe! wrote: »
    I built one out of pre-threaded iron tubing and a solid oak butcher top I found at the hardware store (similar idea as this) . All it takes is a pipe wrench, drill and a screw driver. It isn't adjustable but mine cost about $100 in material, all of which was new. If you wanted to adjust the height you'd have to swap out your upright tubes. The pipe I think ran me about $30 and the rest was put into the pre-finished hardwood top.

I thought about something like that, but I really want it to be adjustable on the fly, i.e. without having to take everything off first -- which, unless I'm misunderstanding, you'd have to do for your desk.

• Options
    You've made me realize I want an electric adjustable desk now Vi. So much more healthy, given the amount of time I spend on a computer.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You've made me realize I want an electric adjustable desk now Vi. So much more healthy, given the amount of time I spend on a computer.

That's exactly why I'm getting mine. I work from home, and both my job and my hobbies keep me in front of the computer for many hours out of the day, and being able to shift between standing and sitting whenever I want is kind of a big deal.

• Options
    Yeah, the guys at work with one use the crap out of it. One guy stands up probably 90% of the time. He has one of those gel pads you put in front of your sink so your back doesn't hurt after doing dishes. He loves it.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yeah, the guys at work with one use the crap out of it. One guy stands up probably 90% of the time. He has one of those gel pads you put in front of your sink so your back doesn't hurt after doing dishes. He loves it.

I ordered one of those pads too. Been saving for this whole setup for a while now. I'm quite excited.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, you have me in the mood to do the same thing. Right now I am furnishing a new place, since I am a bachelor again...but once I get done with basic "please don't let this look like a college dorm" work on the rest of the house, I think I'll save for one as well.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan. Whenever you're looking to buy one, feel free to PM me, and I can let you know how the GeekDesk is working out, if you're interested.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    @Forbe! How did you affix the conduit/plumbing to the desktop?