As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii or PS3?

histronichistronic Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, before this turns into a PS3 vs. Wii war, I just want to give some context. I've had a Wii since they first came out, but it broke about 4 months ago (won't read discs). I have some great party games for it but I just moved to a new city because I just graduated and started a career job, so I don't really know too many people out here to play with. Therefore I'm mostly looking to get a good single player experience out of whatever I buy, which up until now I was pretty set on getting a PS3, but since Xenoblade Chronicles and the new Zelda came out I'm mostly stuck. Another thing that deters me from getting another Wii is that the new Wii U should be coming out by the end of the year. Are there really great single player games for the PS3 like Xenoblade or Zelda or Mario that I should be considering?

tl;dr
Wii broke 4 months ago, not sure if I should get a new one or get a PS3.

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
PSN: rlinkmanl
histronic on

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I also had a Wii, ended up selling it and getting a PS3. Then and now, the PS3 has more to offer, both in terms of single player and online play. There are a ton of great PS3 exclusive games that you can get for cheap that are worth playing, as well a lots of cheap multi-platform games you may have missed out on or only got to play the Wii version of.

Also, if you want gimmicky motion controls for games, you can always get the Move. I'm not saying every game for the Wii was gimmicky, just that for a lot of games the motion control was unnecessary and more of a pain than an aid.

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Double post.

badpoet on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    There are tons of great games for the PS3, though Xenoblade, Zelda and Mario are not among them. That said, I would get a PS3 simply because the PS3 has a significantly longer life ahead of it than the Wii. The Wii will be phased out in a year for the WiiU, while the PS3 has at least two, maybe more, years left in it.

In terms of games you might enjoy:
    LittleBigPlanet (one and two), scratch that platformer itch with a really innovative platformer.
    3D Dot Game Heroes, really good Zelda parody that breaks the fourth wall and pokes fun at itself
    Uncharted, nice story driven action/adventure series with an Indiana Jones feel
    inFAMOUS (1 or 2), GTA-style open world, but with a dude who has super powers

In addition, with a PS3, you get access to a ton of PSOne Classics, which are old PSOne games put on the PSN. Yes Final Fantasy VII is among them.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I have to say, I've felt really let down by my Wii over the years. It's been downgraded to Netflix Box for a while. Xenoblade might get it upgraded to actual game system for a while, but I don't see it staying there for long.

Anyway, realistically, you've had a wii for a while, probably played a lot of what it has to offer. Getting another Wii at this point basically means the last couple big games - you mention Skyward Sword and Xenoblade, I haven't really seen anything else on the radar - and then probably getting retired for good. Really interesting games, but the cost is pretty high to get a system just for those.
    A PS3, though, you've got years of backlog, a lot of which is available cheap. You could probably churn through trade ins and keep going until the Wii U gets a price drop.

If you don't have a 360 already, I'd suggest Mass Effect. If the PS3 version of ME2 has the Genesis DLC (20 minute run through of the major events and any decisions that carry over that plays when you start a new game) I'm of the opinion that you can safely skip ME1's clunky equipment system and pick up ME2. You'll be at a minor loss when people talk like you know how many testicles an average Krogan has, but it's not really of consequence and the game usually gives you a "refresher" dialog option any time it references the first game.
    They have six.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Xenoblade and Skyward Sword are the two games that brought my Wii out of mothballs, but I am like you Hevach. I have all the "big hits" I care about on the Wii, and it's not a very big library.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    With the WiiU on the horizon, I wouldn't expect to see many more "AAA" titles for the Wii. Rumors are circulating about a PS4 being released within the next few years, but are always denied. Even if a new Playstation came out tomorrow, the PS3 already has a huge library of great single player games. Darksiders is almost always described as a cross of Zelda and Metroid. It's a great game in its own right, and has a sequel coming out later this year.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Do you plan on getting WiiU either way? If so, get a PS3 now. But snag a copy of Xenoblade in case it's too hard to find later on.

• Options
    Do you plan on getting WiiU either way? If so, get a PS3 now. But snag a copy of Xenoblade in case it's too hard to find later on.

Do this. We have no idea how limited the Xenoblade production run is, and it is absolutely worth picking up, even if just to sit on a shelf until you have a machine to play. It's such a good game, that even being graphically inferior, it's going to be timeless.

• Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanks a lot everyone, you're responses were exactly what I needed to hear to help me. Soon as my tax return comes I'll get a PS3. Any game recommendations other than those already listed?

Edit: And thanks for the suggestion of picking up Xenoblade now in case it is hard to find. I've heard so many great things about it and I really want to play it at some point.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    if youre going for single player experiences, do yourself a favor and get a gamefly membership. For ~$19/month you get to try out the entire catalogue of games.

Or just get skyrim, bc once you do that, you may as well glue your console's disc drive shut for a few months :lol:

• Options
    Yeah, I'd say Uncharted, Skyrim, Gran Turismo 5 (if you're into racing games it's great), Mass Effect 2, and Infamous should tide you over for awhile.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    it is worth considering that you might be able to pick up a Wii pretty cheap after the Wii-U comes out, if stores are looking to get them shifted so they're not taking up storage space.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid. Get everything Metal Gear Solid. And Valkyria Chronicles.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Uncharted 1-3, Assassin's Creed 1,2,Revelations , LittleBigPlanet 1,2 , Infamous 1-2, Batman: Arkham Asylum/City, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, Lego Batman (my personal favorite Lego game).

Going to the Playstation Network games, Pixeljunk games are all great, Journey, Dead Nation.

Really depends on what you want to do and like. I personally like the action/adventure/platformer type.

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    You need pick up Uncharted 2.

That is all I have to contribute to this thread.

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    If you want a Zelda-like I'd recommend Darksiders. Should be cheap as the sequel is coming soon. I'd also pick up Borderlands GotY if you don't already have it for PC. The Ratchet & Clank games are great (I haven't tried All 4 One yet, but all of the others are solid pick-ups). You can also spend a ton of time on Burnout Paradise and its various DLC packs (the only packs I'd avoid are the party one and the cops & robbers one). I'm also a fan of most else that's been listed, but this is new stuff and you already read what's up there.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    dnnsdnns ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If you want to play Skyward Sword, but still want a PS3, the Dolphin emulator is a good way to have your cake and eat it, too. All you need is a decent PC, wiimote, and sensor bar (or two candles or whatever), in addition to the game disc. Skyward Sword has very good compatibility with the emulator.

http://dolphin-emulator.com/

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    dnns wrote: »
    If you want to play Skyward Sword, but still want a PS3, the Dolphin emulator is a good way to have your cake and eat it, too. All you need is a decent PC, wiimote, and sensor bar (or two candles or whatever), in addition to the game disc. Skyward Sword has very good compatibility with the emulator.

http://dolphin-emulator.com/
    You have to have one put of a specific set of DVD drives for that to work, FYI. That said, you should just get a PS3 now and maybe a Wii U later on at this point even if Zelda and Mario are the best anything ever to you.

• Options
    dnnsdnns ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    You have to have one put of a specific set of DVD drives for that to work, FYI. That said, you should just get a PS3 now and maybe a Wii U later on at this point even if Zelda and Mario are the best anything ever to you.

That's true. Even if you don't have one, a DVD drive from the compatibility list will cost you something like $15 from Newegg or Amazon.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Also, you can buy a 320GB PS3 bundled with Uncharted 3, plus an extra dual shock 3 controller bundled with Uncharted 1 and 2. You'll get three games more or less for free.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png