As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blue Screen of [chat]

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    because, er, the show might deviate from the books...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    because actually overuse of spoiler tags is just as bad

for example, people started posting so much inane shit about me3 in spoilers that cass started reading them as though they werent spoilers then got actually spoiled

classing what just occurred as a spoiler is just lol
    If you want to read about Mass Effect 3 sans spoiler tags, do it in the ME3 thread. This is the chat thread.

And that's Cass' fault, not the people doing the spoiler-tagging. If you care about spoilers, don't read shit that gets posted in spoiler tags.
    Bullshit, if everything is fucking spoiled then clicking spoiler tags becomes not a big deal. It fucks people over.
    If you want to talk about something sans spoiler tags, make a thread about it. Random shit about recent media should be spoiler-tagged in the chat thread, erring on the side of caution.

It's a miracle that I somehow avoided being spoiled about anything regarding ME3 that was in spoiler tags. It really wasn't that difficult, it was just a matter of not fucking reading them.

And I admitted I was wrong on that wolf thing, because I'd never seen the box. But I appreciate the fact that you keep bringing it up, because it removes from me any desire to treat you like anything other than a petulant brat, and makes it much easier to completely write off your opinions regarding spoilers. So, thank you for that.

Hahaha you need therapy bro

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    the asset reuse makes me a little suspicious that there wasnt serious external pressure on them to get the game out asap

vsove on the forums is a bioware employee and he said they knew how bad it was

they werent unaware

i have never got an adequate explanation of what form this pressure took and whence it came, but it was quite clearly there - even the composer, inon zur, noted that the soundtrack had to be a "rush job"

@surrealitycheck

I read an explanation about this somewhere, and fucked if I can remember where, but it was from a source that seemed convincing at the time - but the person was saying that EA marketing believed that fantasy was riding a temporary bubble of popularity brought on by Harry Potter and World of Warcraft and they had a limited window of opportunity to cash in on that.

What I personally think is that DA was in development for so long and cost so much that there was just a lot of pressure to amortize some of those expenses against another installment asap.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    overspoilering totally diminishes the power of spoilers and renders them less and less serious, making people more likely to click on them and get spoiled

you do have to strike a balance to ensure OPTIMUM UNSPOILEDNESS

personally i don't give a fuck because i've seen everything

i've seen it all

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Wait till you find out what happens to Saint Peter in the sequel

talk about obvious symbolism

I heard that they made it into some kind of "official" fan-fiction that's been syndicated for years now

I just can't understand what the appeal could be

I dunno St. John the Evangelist is a pretty engaging narrator

Except they're on Part 16 of this kind of Benedict side-story? I don't know how that guy got sixteen parts while that Peter dude only got one

l0l noob. One is a legacy character while the other isn't. Duh.

I was about to complain about the woefully out-dated views on sex that the original text presented and the spin-offs continued, but I suppose you'll argue that those are legacy values.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Self control is all I'm saying yo.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It's a pretty safe bet that if you are talking about game of thrones, and your sentence starts off with "in the books" what follows should probably be placed in spoilertags at least for the sake of the people watching the TV show. I mean, because why start off a sentence that way unless you are specific referencing something that is outside of the scope of where the show currently is?

In my defense Inqui, what I said was kept intentionally vague and well within the scope of the one complete season of the show.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    hi 5 em

no clothes

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Man, it is really hard to make italian sausage not greasy.

I probably drained 2 cups worth of grease and juice out of the pan over the hour I cooked them, and they STILL had a bit o' grease in them.

Eh, the draining made them loads better for me, and the pepper stir fry, caramelized onions and whole milk mozzarella completed the plating.

I am still at a ~2400 calorie deficit for the day when I add in my exercise, and this is my 5th meal.

Good god.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    overspoilering totally diminishes the power of spoilers and renders them less and less serious, making people more likely to click on them and get spoiled

you do have to strike a balance to ensure OPTIMUM UNSPOILEDNESS

personally i don't give a fuck because i've seen everything

i've seen it all

Yeah, but then don't we have to get into what constitutes a spoiler?What is a spoiler for one person may not be a spoiler for another. Hence over-spoiling to be safe.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    sarksus lets sleep together you flirty slut

he wears a full body condom and you have to rip it open to get to the meat

Not worth the effort

It burned off the 800 calorie steak you ate earlier that night didn't it.

you're a terrible dessert

I thought you'd be better at opening dessert packaging.

D:

so mean

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I really wish I could maek poast without getting sucked into existing chat drama about things.

Dr. Arch posted something that I believed was a spoiler, I told him so, he edited the post. Should be case closed.

But now there is all this yelling.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I would love it if a policy of "spoil reasonable stuff" was possible, but it's just not.

People start posting reasonable stuff out of spoilers, and then people start posting slightly more spoilery stuff, and slightly more, etc., until people just fucking post the ending to ME3, and justify it with "but so-and-so posted not-quite-the-ending!"

So, it's way more effective to just crack down on it earlier, the people who care about spoilers don't read them, and the people who don't care about them do. If you care about spoilers and you're reading spoiler-tagged stuff... well, then, I don't really know what to tell you. Be smarter?

• Options
    I really wish I could maek poast without getting sucked into existing chat drama about things.

Dr. Arch posted something that I believed was a spoiler, I told him so, he edited the post. Should be case closed.

I'm not yelling this is my outside voice!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I would love it if a policy of "spoil reasonable stuff" was possible, but it's just not.

People start posting reasonable stuff out of spoilers, and then people start posting slightly more spoilery stuff, and slightly more, etc., until people just fucking post the ending to ME3, and justify it with "but so-and-so posted not-quite-the-ending!"

So, it's way more effective to just crack down on it earlier, the people who care about spoilers don't read them, and the people who don't care about them do. If you care about spoilers and you're reading spoiler-tagged stuff... well, then, I don't really know what to tell you. Be smarter?

Than, you've spent so much time fighting Republicans, you've picked up their arguments! Slippery Slope!
    :D

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    It's a pretty safe bet that if you are talking about game of thrones, and your sentence starts off with "in the books" what follows should probably be placed in spoilertags at least for the sake of the people watching the TV show. I mean, because why start off a sentence that way unless you are specific referencing something that is outside of the scope of where the show currently is?
    In my defense Inqui, what I said was kept intentionally vague and well within the scope of the one complete season of the show.
    You should be spoiler-tagging stuff from season one of the show, too, though. At least, in the chat thread.

Do what you want in the Game of Thrones TV thread; I don't care, because I don't look in there if I don't want to be spoiled.

• Options
    ive seen some shit man

back in spoiler-nam

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Eh, it definitely had some serious spoilery implications and I personally don't really agree that it fell under the scope of the one complete season of the show. But, you edited it so no big deal.

• Options

Than, you've spent so much time fighting Republicans, you've picked up their arguments! Slippery Slope!
    Except that this isn't just made-up bullshit, this is what actually happens. I have fucking watched it happen.

• Options
    People can't be trusted so this is more about big brother than anything.

• Options
    my solution is gruesomely murder everyone who has consumed media that i have not yet consumed

• Options
    In Than's defense, what he is describing is basically a 1:1 retelling of what happened in the chat thread when Deus Ex Human Revolution came out.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Except that this isn't just made-up bullshit, this is what actually happens. I have fucking watched it happen.

Sssssssslippery Sssssssssssslope.

If it was obvious before now, I'm keeding.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ive seen some shit man

back in spoiler-nam

PTSD = Post Traumatic Spoiler Disorder

• Options

You can't actually politely ask someone to spoiler-tag something without being jumped on and told that the only reason you'd want them to do that is because of cops and farmers and because this one time that you admitted you were wrong, you asked someone to spoiler-tag something inappropriately.

That's just how this place works. And then people wonder why you're a dick about it, when, in actuality, they're the dicks about it, you're just fucking defending yourself.

Get used to it.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    so who would like to talk about something interesting

i'd start us off, but i don't know anything interesting

Tell me about the magical land of Disagea Elendil-kun!

uguuuu~

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    So, there's a font based on a little sister's handwriting for Japanese. That, is pretty wrong. >.<

工事中
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    sarksus lets sleep together you flirty slut

he wears a full body condom and you have to rip it open to get to the meat

Not worth the effort

It burned off the 800 calorie steak you ate earlier that night didn't it.

you're a terrible dessert

I thought you'd be better at opening dessert packaging.

D:

so mean

I ain't abide the abolition of my reputation.

• Options
    I'd rather everything be spoiled than nothing be spoiled.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

hookers and blow

• Options
    there's a slippery slope both ways

make people spoiler more often, and spoilers will lose their deterrent power and people will get spoiled more often.

let people spoiler less often and they will start letting things slip and people will get spoiled more often

a perpetual see-sawing between safety and spoiledness

we must maintain a balance at all costs

ETERNAL VIGILANCE IS THE PRICE OF UNSPOILEDNESS

• Options
    In Than's defense, what he is describing is basically a 1:1 retelling of what happened in the chat thread when Deus Ex Human Revolution came out.
    It happened with Mass Effect 2 multiple times.

• Options
    there's a slippery slope both ways

make people spoiler more often, and spoilers will lose their deterrent power and people will get spoiled more often.

let people spoiler less often and they will start letting things slip and people will get spoiled more often

a perpetual see-sawing between safety and spoiledness

we must maintain a balance at all costs

ETERNAL VIGILANCE IS THE PRICE OF UNSPOILEDNESS

_40966996_moody.jpg

CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

You can't actually politely ask someone to spoiler-tag something without being jumped on and told that the only reason you'd want them to do that is because of cops and farmers and because this one time that you admitted you were wrong, you asked someone to spoiler-tag something inappropriately.

That's just how this place works. And then people wonder why you're a dick about it, when, in actuality, they're the dicks about it, you're just fucking defending yourself.

Get used to it.

Than is completely correct about this.

And if anything spoiler rules should be slightly stricter for chat since you don't have the option of avoiding a thread based on topic.

But it is precicely in chat that some people persist in spoiling shit then throwing their little hissy fits about how people are so unreasonable about spoilers.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Sometimes there some bullshit.

Usually I'm like "nah, no thanks."

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I always make sure to add "REAL SPOILER HERE SERIOUSLY FOR REALS GUYS" before I use a spoiler for its intended purpose. And most of the time I'll double spoiler.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    how about some nice music

everyone loves music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jy09Ud7H6A&amp;feature=relmfu

• Options
    Well crap. I got baby oil all over my parents' bed.

This discussion has been closed.