As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghost Recon: AW 2 is out this week

BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
and nobody seems to be talking about it.

after playing the single and multiplayer demos to death, i cannot wait to pick this up on wednesday. the gameplay is smoother (fully controlable drone, mule, switching to squad mates for an added perspective on the battlefield). the graphics are WAY better, which is crazy. and the multiplayer sounds like a mix between graw 1 and rainbow six vegas.

check out www.xboxyde.com to see 20 minutes from the beginning of the game in 2 parts: the tutorial, and the first mission.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
BaronVonSnakPak on

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Weird. I just got an XBOX360, and this was the first game I grabbed off MarketPlace. It took some getting used to, and me running Campaign instead of Team-Deathmatch to get into it. . .but man it was fun.

The games a little bright for me at times, and woe is you if you happen to be zoomed in when that first transport truck is detonated (my FPS dropped to nothing and stayed that way for about a minute) - but everything else about the game is fun as heck.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    i am so psyched for this game i am buying it as soon as i have the cash

bongi on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm waiting for my copy to make it to the Blockbuster I work at on weekends.

(I can't wait to quit while my brother joins them so I can work in my field and still get the discounts.)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    graw is still my favourite 360 game

even post-gears

bongi on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I really liked GRAW.

But you know, I can only play so many Ghost Recon games. They really overproduced this series on the consoles.

I bet I'm the only one who thinks that.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I didnt even know it was a series until everyone raved about it when I said I was getting a 360. Im guessing GRAW was such a "leap" in quality, that it was a reboot of the franchise (as far as MP is concerned).

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    I really liked GRAW.

But you know, I can only play so many Ghost Recon games. They really overproduced this series on the consoles.

No, I agree. I've gotten sick of Ubisoft releasing a new game in each Tom Clancy franchise every year. I'd really rather they put them in the cooker for a year or so more and come out with different stuff, true sequels.

bruin on
  • Options
    QuelrethQuelreth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wish it controlled more tightly (See Vegas), but I'm probably going to buy it before too long, if I can justify spending the money. I never played any of the Ghost Recon games besides demos, and this seems like a good enough one to start with.

Quelreth on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man the game hit shelves today and we didn't have a single poast on it. I just got home from work and finally got to throw it in. I love it. It is most definatly more of the same, but better. A lot better. They have polished the shit out of it. Maybe I am a whore for GRAW but I am totally up for a yearly release of this if they add this much to it.

corin7 on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GRAW is still my favorite 360 game, I should definitely go check this out.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i thought graw was the same as the other ghost recons only prettier when i first started playing it

then all those action movie scenarios happened

Ranced on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just a random fyi, I'm almost positive I saw an add for Fry's in the local paper (Palo Alto) that GRAW2 would be on sale for $35 this week (after release, obviously)

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The cool thing is this game takes place where I live.

Sol on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I got it today at a Gamestop. It turns out everybody but my job had the game. >_>

I'm loving single player. The part where the C.O. says "Welcome to Juarez," and you go there and look at all the mess and the music kicks in, was EPIC. I hope you get to see the Great Wall of Texas later on.

Now that I think about it, this whole game pays much closer attention to the music. In areas with dead silence, you'll hear a quick ambiant bit of music each time you kill a bad guy.

My Spanish is better than the Loyalist troops' Spanish. That's all I have to say about that.

I'm disappointed with multiplayer because it still doesn't use cover. Then again, I probably just suck.

Vision enhancement is incredibly annoying. Why is everything white?

Cantido on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited March 2007
    I've got this incoming through GameFly and I'm undoubtedly highly anticpating its arrival.... I WANT IT NOW!! ARGH. I wish I wasn't working all day :(

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm dissapointed with MP because it controls like balls. Why can't I adjust my stick sensitivity? Why does everyone sprint along at about 20mph? Why can't it be as good as Vegas? and what the hell is a third-peron view doing in a tactical shooter?!

SP is still awesome though, while it lasts.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    I really liked GRAW.

They have been churning out the Tom Clancy games it seems but at the same time I tend to buy most of the Tom Clancy games cause they are my type of shooter. If they were pricing this as more of an expansion pack pricing it wouldn't be so bad but according to futureshop.ca it'll sell for $54 with $15 instant savings, which adds up to a full priced game to me. Really this is just an expansion to the first game, same engine and all right?

djklay on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought GRAW was actually kind of shoddy, but I only played the co-op.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    major_tom wrote:
    I'm dissapointed with MP because it controls like balls. Why can't I adjust my stick sensitivity? Why does everyone sprint along at about 20mph? Why can't it be as good as Vegas? and what the hell is a third-peron view doing in a tactical shooter?!

SP is still awesome though, while it lasts.
    I think in the first GRAW you could play in first person? I prefer third anyway.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SirToons wrote: »

The co-op segments were handled by the same team that did all the MP stuff. The SP and MP in GRAW are completely different. The SP, indisputably, rocks (as long as you're looking for a more-or-less straight shooter with slight tactical elements, rather than the GR of old).

The MP feels ramshackle and shoddy IMO. Bad graphics and even worse controls. But I am a picky bugger (and i've been spoilt by R6:Vegas, which controls and plays beautifully in MP).

major_tom on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    major_tom wrote: »
    SirToons wrote: »

The co-op segments were handled by the same team that did all the MP stuff. The SP and MP in GRAW are completely different. The SP, indisputably, rocks (as long as you're looking for a more-or-less straight shooter with slight tactical elements, rather than the GR of old).

The MP feels ramshackle and shoddy IMO. Bad graphics and even worse controls. But I am a picky bugger (and i've been spoilt by R6:Vegas, which controls and plays beautifully in MP).

That explains a lot. They should get around to killing them and making their own multiplayer.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i like the multiplayer

it's the closest thing to the original games and i like the contrast from the main campaign

i don't want it to be like vegas, it's a recon game

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Err...Ghost Recon is a Recon game. I find recon being very important in Single Player.

Cantido on
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope the people who are saying GRAW's multi should be like R6V's mean that it shouldn't be so different from the SP campaign and not that it should actually play like R6V.

I hope.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sol wrote: »

Juarez or El Paso?

Cause I live in El Paso, and I was just about to say the same thing. I'm curious to see how they accurately they captured both cities.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    epburnepburn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »

Juarez or El Paso?

Cause I live in El Paso, and I was just about to say the same thing. I'm curious to see how they accurately they captured both cities.

I saw an EP Times story claiming that it was pretty accurate. Apparently they were doing some event at Ft. Bliss Thursday night. (I don't live in El Paso)

epburn on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am getting this for my birthday in April

I too have played the multiplayer demo to death

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really enjoy the multiplayer.

As I am so broke, I still play the demo.

I do recall they allow you to change your aiming speed, and I know for sure you can switch from third person to first person in the settings (however the host can restrict it to one view if he desires)

I find online the most fun with 2 minute respawn drones, no launchers, and no ID tags. So many whinners and team kills without any ID, but after about 30 minutes the room will be full of those who enjoy and can get use to it. It requires so much more team work.

I had two great experiences in multiplayer so far. One match I was shot down upstairs in the warehouse looking building, but I wasn't dead. My two team mates were covering me shooting across the building, killed one, then one guy revived me while the other layed down heavy fire on the remaining enemy in the room.

The second experience I was playing a sniper and was outside of the fence on the left side. I had the silenced sniper rifle with five shots. The captain ran out into the open and I shot him in the chest, taking him down but not killing him. His two team members ran over for support, and one starts reviving. I took a shot at him right in the head and killed him instantly. The other guy quickly ran to a tree and slowly stuck his head out, and I popped him instantly. I stood up, ran over to the captain who was still laying there, and shot him close up with the pistol.

Sanders on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Ghosts are neither Ghost-like or partaking of reconnaisance activities.

I'm personally waiting for Graw 3 when they will make a true sequel - Ubi always makes things in cycles of awesome and not so awesome - first is awesome, second is the first but slightly different, third is brilliance. See Splinter Cell and the older GR games and Prince of Persia.

Iriah on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I occasionally try to play the GRAW2 demo to see if I like it yet because everyone else seems to love everything GRAW, but it's, well, poop.

The biggest gripe I have is that the controls are too loose. Movement feels too loose, even though it's the best of the game's control-related problems. I touch the stick, and I do a little camera bobbing bounce a moment after I manipulate the controls, which feels odd. The aiming feels too loose as well. The crosshair feels floaty. Like it feels like it wants to be very free-floating like Lost Planet, but isn't being allowed to be, so it instead attaches its movement to the movement of the camera, but still lags behind it. This feels especially strange when using a scope.

Even firing your weapon manages to suffer some of the same problems. I pull the right trigger and it takes a second for some bullets to come sputtering out. Irritating, and the disconnect due to the sluggish controls just ruins the feel of the game.

Multiplayer doesn't suffer from the firing delay, so it's a little better, but all other control problems still apply. It is a little amusing, though, since your character always has his weapon shouldered and his eyes looking down the sights. Even when he's sprinting at 80 miles per hour around the map (barely an exaggeration).

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    I occasionally try to play the GRAW2 demo to see if I like it yet because everyone else seems to love everything GRAW, but it's, well, poop.

The biggest gripe I have is that the controls are too loose. Movement feels too loose, even though it's the best of the game's control-related problems. I touch the stick, and I do a little camera bobbing bounce a moment after you manipulate the controls, which feels odd. The aiming feels too loose as well. The crosshair feels floaty. Like it feels like it wants to be very free-floating like Lost Planet, but isn't being allowed to be, so it instead attaches its movement to the movement of the camera, but still lags behind it. This feels especially strange when using a scope.

Even firing your weapon manages to suffer some of the same problems. I pull the right trigger and it takes for some bullets to come sputtering out. Irritating, and the disconnect due to the sluggish controls just ruins the feel of the game.

Multiplayer doesn't suffer from the firing delay, so it's a little better, but all other control problems still apply. It is a little amusing, though, since your character always has his weapon shouldered and his eyes looking down the sights. Even when he's sprinting at 80 miles per hour around the map (barely an exaggeration).
    You pretty much summed up my problems with the SP of Ghost Recon 1 perfectly.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

The biggest gripe I have is that the controls are too loose. Movement feels too loose, even though it's the best of the game's control-related problems. I touch the stick, and I do a little camera bobbing bounce a moment after you manipulate the controls, which feels odd. The aiming feels too loose as well. The crosshair feels floaty. Like it feels like it wants to be very free-floating like Lost Planet, but isn't being allowed to be, so it instead attaches its movement to the movement of the camera, but still lags behind it. This feels especially strange when using a scope.

Even firing your weapon manages to suffer some of the same problems. I pull the right trigger and it takes a second for some bullets to come sputtering out. Irritating, and the disconnect due to the sluggish controls just ruins the feel of the game.

Yeah, that pretty much nails it. Especially the part about the running speed.

I mean, these guys are hard core. They can keep up a full sprint while carrying LMGs, grenades, laden with body armour and keep their weapons shouldered and sighted at all times.

major_tom on
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Juarez or El Paso?

El Paso, Lower Valley...yeah that's what I wanna check out, I heard ASARCO comes out but that's it.

Sol on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    Err...Ghost Recon is a Recon game. I find recon being very important in Single Player.

yea, i had a badly worded sentence

i meant i'd rather ghost recon games stay the same because they are completely different from the type of shooter vegas is

Ranced on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Like someone else said, the controls are way too loose. The game also has some major freezing problems, and it's not my disk because I switched it out. It's very annoying to have the game freeze basically every 10 minutes and lose all my progress because I didn't reach the next savepoint. Speaking of that, the friendly AI is still pretty much worthless; I watched one gunbattle my guys had with enemies out in the open and it took them about 20 seconds to kill one. At least the teammates in the original GR were able to help out and get some kills.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ive beaten the single player game and played at least 10 hours of multi already and I've not had a single freeze. Could be a problem with your Xbox? I had to download an update as soon as I put the game in my box, did you get that?

Also I find the AI MUCH better in this one, they no longer do stupid things and get themselves killed, they call out enemy positions really well and take commands better. However they do take time to kill most baddies, and they really do need to be commanded into good positions to be useful, but then if they just shot everyone straight off, it wouldnt be much fun :p

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's not my Xbox, all my other games play perfectly fine, and I did download an update. The game is just buggy. The AI SHOULD just be able to shoot everyone straight off, or at least be able to hit them most of the time, just like the squadmates in Rainbow Six Vegas. Right now, they feel useless, like they;re just htere to try to keep a piece of the old tactical element the original GR had.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jast wrote: »
    It's not my Xbox, all my other games play perfectly fine, and I did download an update. The game is just buggy.

uh

it can be your 360

my old system only froze for lost planet and ran everything just fine

2 weeks later i got the 3 red lights

a lot of people have similar problems with single games

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    epburn wrote: »

Juarez or El Paso?

I saw an EP Times story claiming that it was pretty accurate. Apparently they were doing some event at Ft. Bliss Thursday night. (I don't live in El Paso)

You guys have HILLS. I wish Orlando had hills. We're below sea level here.

Cantido on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just picked this up and it seems very good, i was wondering is there some kind of PA clan on the go since it has a real clan system this time around?

If not we should totally get one going.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__