As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The SE++ Listening Party Thread. Now Playing: Fox and the Bird - Floating Feather

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Susanne Sundfør - Take One

Yeah, this is the stuff. I love the idea of recording an entire album in one single take, and it's executed almost flawlessly. Her voice is lovely, as is her piano/guitar playing, and I knew I was in for a treat from the very first track - I love when musicians take very simple instrumentation, especially instruments typically considered """boring""" (is that enough quotations to show what I think of that claim?) - in this case just a single piano/keyboard - and combined with the vocals use it to make an upbeat, poppy tune. But I enjoyed the more mellow stuff a lot, too, including the entirely-instrumental tracks. The piano melodies were very nice, and though there was some impressive technical stuff in there (with her voice too! goddamn!) it was never used to show off, just aid the song.

Just, yeah, really really dug this.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Okay, after much deciding, here's my recommendation.

HatfulofHollow84.jpg

The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

It's a compilation of all of The Smiths early material recorded in 1983, and it's incredible. The album contains some of my favorite pop music, ever.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, can't go wrong with The Smiths.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Love the bass work on this album. Love it. It's so punchy and just right in the groove.

EDIT:

Some of this stuff sounds a lot like Jeff Buckley, but with more punk influence.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So, just got done with my first real smiths listening experience. After I got over memories (admittedly good ones) of a yearly 80's dance during undergrad, I found myself getting more and more into the lyrics, if not always his voice. Without active attention, I find it kind of boring and droney, but the lyrical content makes attention worth it.

I'm doing Susanne Sundfor right now, and have a good first impression, so long as she does not go on absolutely pointless vocal runs I think we will be fast friends.

Doomtree exceeded all expectations, Bangarang being the only song I had heard of theirs before, but I will file them along with Das Racist for vaguely silly/irreverent hip hop to feel good to.

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I always love Morrissey's voice, especially on The Queen is Dead, it's sounds so smooth and natural to me.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    Ugh, Susanne, we were doing SO well, and then you had to go crazy on "Day of the Titans". Please, all vocalists ever, we understand you are talented. Stop doing that thing. This is not free jazz. Other than that, a wonderful, bright sounding album that marries its vocals and piano well. I get a very Regina Spektor vibe from it, in a good way. Sparse instrumentation that features and supports the vocals.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

So it's odd that I've never really checked out the Smiths all that much. Several of my favourite artists/bands cite them and Morrissey as huge influences, and I've enjoyed their songs when I hear them, but I think listening to this made me figure it out: for some reason, The Smiths don't excite me, even though when I sit down and listen to their music I find it very pleasant. Lyrically I don't have a strong emotional connection to it (even though I tend to gravitate toward songs that deal with issues of homosexuality), and musically it's kept somewhat restrained in a way that works for the songs, but doesn't necessarily grab an detached listener. There's something about this music that is very appealing in a warm, comfortable way that could very easily be assimilated into my music collection, I just wouldn't particularly think to go looking for it, if that makes sense. And saying that sounds like I enjoyed it less than I did - I really liked it! A lot! It's just, I guess it's something that seems more suited to being something that comes on than something I put on.

I really love This Charming Man though. I mean, there were several songs I liked a lot but now I can't remember very well, which I think is kind of my ultimate point. Not that it's forgettable, just that it doesn't leave an impact on me specifically for whatever reason. But I definitely enjoyed it a great deal and am starring it on Spotify in hopes it crops up occasionally.

Edit: Forgot to add that I love his voice.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    @Oghulk, you've got the last selection for the week. What's it gonna be?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Just to let you know @Oghulk, I'm not trying to be a douche, but you posted once in this thread to sign up and haven't commented on anyone's albums. If you don't post some impressions along with your selection by noon (central time), I'm going to go ahead and skip ahead to @cabsy, who has posted at least once besides her signup.

Cabsy, go ahead and give us your selection if Oghulk hasn't posted by then.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just to let you know @Oghulk, I'm not trying to be a douche, but you posted once in this thread to sign up and haven't commented on anyone's albums. If you don't post some impressions along with your selection by noon (central time), I'm going to go ahead and skip ahead to @cabsy, who has posted at least once besides his signup.

Cabsy's a her

edit: ah hell, if Cabsy goes today, that means I've got to come up with something by tuesday

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Just to let you know @Oghulk, I'm not trying to be a douche, but you posted once in this thread to sign up and haven't commented on anyone's albums. If you don't post some impressions along with your selection by noon (central time), I'm going to go ahead and skip ahead to @cabsy, who has posted at least once besides his signup.

Cabsy's a her

edit: ah hell, if Cabsy goes today, that means I've got to come up with something by tuesday

I don't know why you would scandalously change my post like that! Of course I know cabsy's a her! :P

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Just to let you know @Oghulk, I'm not trying to be a douche, but you posted once in this thread to sign up and haven't commented on anyone's albums. If you don't post some impressions along with your selection by noon (central time), I'm going to go ahead and skip ahead to @cabsy, who has posted at least once besides her signup.

Oh yeah, sorry about that, I've been really busy this week and was at school today, and I understand so go ahead and skip me for now.

Once I get around to it I'll start commenting on the albums.

• Options
    Looks like we're not going to hear from @Cabsy either! So if you have an album, go right ahead, @Oghulk

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Well, alright!

I guess I'll start off with Dumbfoundead, an upcoming rap/hip-hop artist who released his debut album, DFD (which will be today's album) back on November 1, 2011 alongside friend and long-time collaborator on works DJ Zo. He also frequently collaborates with artists Breezy Lovejoy, Wax,

17215.jpg

The tracks are as follows:
    Town -- 3:50
    Killers -- 2:50
    Cool and Calm -- 2:49
    Green -- 3:03
    Run Home -- 3:47
    Cell Phone (featuring Breezy Lovejoy) -- 4:27
    Brb (featuring Andrew Garcia) -- 3:00
    Bitch (featuring Breezy Lovejoy) -- 3:23
    Son of a Gun (featuring Matik) -- 4:20
    Studio Apartment -- 3:51
    No More Sunny Days (featuring Breezy Lovejoy) -- 2:03
    Tour Up (featuring Wax) -- 3:22
    Are We There Yet -- 3:43

His music is rap with multiple hip-hop elements and, while he does talk about women and smoking weed a lot, has some really interesting poetic pieces (No More Sunny Days comes to mind right off the bat).

While DFD is his debut album, he's released multiple EPs over the past few years, all for free off his site (just google Dumbfoundead and you'll catch it really quick).

Make sure to check out Are We There Yet. It's one of my all-time favorite songs and has some fantastic lines that delve into his personal past.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Ahhh I haven't been able to check the forums since early Friday morning so I missed my early chance! I'm still on for Monday, right?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Well since I haven't heard otherwise I guess I'm going to assume it's still alright for me to put out a suggestion?

Oghulk - Shit I love this album. Absolutely something I'd listen to regularly in the car, nice mix of lyrics and nice beats. I do have a hard time with Bitch but the lyrics are a little too angry breakup mixed with misogyny for me. I do like everything else!

25s7jx1.jpg

I'm going to go ahead with suggesting N.E.R.D. - Nothing for my selection, even though we just had some hiphop and I know it'll garner some criticism of being 'phat beats' which is exactly what most of it is. N.E.R.D. is great about mostly being some really nice dance beats usually mixed with funk elements and while I don't think anybody will say it was like a religious experience hopefully you guys will like it!

cabsy on
  • Options
    cabsy wrote: »
    Well since I haven't heard otherwise I guess I'm going to assume it's still alright for me to put out a suggestion?

Oghulk - Shit I love this album. Absolutely something I'd listen to regularly in the car, nice mix of lyrics and nice beats. I do have a hard time with Bitch but the lyrics are a little too angry breakup mixed with misogyny for me. I do like everything else!

I'm going to go ahead with suggesting N.E.R.D. - Nothing for my selection, even though we just had some hiphop and I know it'll garner some criticism of being 'phat beats' which is exactly what most of it is. N.E.R.D. is great about mostly being some really nice dance beats usually mixed with funk elements and while I don't think anybody will say it was like a religious experience hopefully you guys will like it!

Yeah, some of his stuff can get a little misogynistic, but for the most part it's entirely solid.

And Green is some damn fine driving music, I tell you what

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Yay this thread, I was getting worried.

Looks like I've got some catching up to do.

Das Racist - Relax: I love Das Racist. I like Shut Up Dude, and Sit Down, Man more though. Relax for the most part felt like more of the same. More of the same excellent fun, but still.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea: This is definitely going on my list of things to listen to again. Jeff Mangum's voice seems like it would be a bit of an acquired taste, but if I can get used to Colin Meloy's voice and enjoy The Decemberists in spite of it, I can handle Mangum. I don't know if the fuzziness was deliberate or if they really were making do with crappy recording equipment, but it's kind of distracting.

Susanne Sundfør - Take One: This has been the album I've taken to most immediately, and the first one I felt I should make my wife listen to. There was something about her voice that sounded familiar, but I couldn't figure out who she reminded me of until today, when I decided on my album.

The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow: The Smiths were a band that I knew I should listen to, but never got around to it, or knew where to start. So thanks for this! I really enjoyed it, and I fully realize how backwards this is but they remind me of Los Campesinos! in terms of tone and lyrics - they've both got a tendency towards almost uncomfortably personal.

Dumbfoundead - DFD: I've only been listening to hip hop for a few years so I'm really not good at articulating what I like about stuff like this. But I did enjoy this for the most part. He's got a likeable voice/flow, some fun wordplay which are my favourite things (see above love of Das Racist), though the misogyny Cabsy mentioned made me wince.

more to come

• Options
    Dumbfoundead: going along with the crowd on this one and immediately turned off by the same track everyone else is, but the beats were good and I can see myself using it in a mix if I'm ever DJing a wedding reception or something. Not really the kind of thing I listen to for personal music edification for the most part, and same with N.E.R.D., but I did like the funk elements quite a bit. I'm going to listen to the latter again later this week and see if any track in particular sticks out to me!

• Options
    @QuantumTurk - Your turn!

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Oh man, love me some N.E.R.D.

• Options
    I feel kind of bad singling Dumbfoundead out for misogynistic lyrics when it seems to be a problem with most of the genre. Even Childish Gambino (who I love) still makes me wince at times.

• Options
    I feel kind of bad singling Dumbfoundead out for misogynistic lyrics when it seems to be a problem with most of the genre. Even Childish Gambino (who I love) still makes me wince at times.

Yeah, and it's not made better by knowing that at least some of it is joking/playing to a crowd. That sort of thing just makes me uncomfortable unless it's blatant parody, like Tenacious D or Ween.

• Options
    Ok, we have done a lot of hip-hop lately, so today I am giving you a choose your own adventure double feature.
    If you are tired of Hip-hop of all flavors, even though I swear mine is different, proceed to option B. Otherwise, join me for Option A

Option A: Astronautalis: This is Our Science
    One of my favorite albums, blends seriously well considered lyrics with punchy delivery, and just a tinge of roughness voice to carry it through. Things to watch for include allegory, allusion, and just generally well constructed, thematic songs. If the lead guy of Atmosphere were better read, he could have done this. The other albums are spottier, but still good, and if you can find a live freestyle recording they tend to be cool because he takes a few topics from audience suggestion to work into it. I remember one where he did Pixies, rascal scooters, and burritos, among a few other things. Makes it even more impressive to me to have to work some disparate elements together. Also he has a rap about the battle of Trenton. I mean come on.

Option B: Yes yes, you are sick of hip-hop/ it just really is not your thing. In that case, you need to chill out, and grab Andrew Bird: Weather Systems. Yes it's kinda outdated, shut up. Sit in your tweed coat with the arm patches as you read some classic lit and try not to shed a tear listening to "Lull".

(If option B is not on spotify let me know, I am at work and can't check, I'm sure This is Our Science is though)

• Options
    LilliLilli Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh man, I just now saw this thread. This looks really cool.

!checkthisout

Lilli on
  • Options
    Updated the selection. Added @Lilli!

@QuantumTurk, I just put Astronautalis as your pick. Again, hip hop isn't traditionally my cup of tea, but after all of this hip hop in a row I am sort of getting a better grasp of the genre, especially after this selection. Even though it's something I wouldn't really play for people and say, "This is what I'm totally into," I can appreciate the effort it takes to make this kind of art.

I do like the album cover, actually. And I like how the CD is sort of a cross between rock and rap; for people who dip their toes into both streams, I can see this as something they could really sink their teeth into.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I don't usually pay attention to this thread, but Astronautalis is fucking amazing. I saw him open for Citizen Cope...or maybe Tegan and Sara. I forget...

Pomegranate is my favorite CD of his.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Re: This is Our Science

This is p. good indie stuff. I'm not going to spend my iTunes birthday gift cards on the whole album, but I can see how some people would really like it.

I enjoyed Secrets on Our Lips, The River, The Woods, Measure the Globe the most.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options

Oh yeah I didn't mean to imply that Dumbfoundead was the worst offender or anything, it's just that's the only song of his where it really broke it for me in terms of listenability.

• Options
    Astronautilus is excellent and one of the few live gigs I've seen

• Options
    edited May 2012
    My turn!

I actually created a thread about this album a year and a half or so ago, but it was a crueler time for music threads, and it was locked within the first page or two. My album is...

Hadestown, by Anaïs Mitchell (and friends)
    As far as concept albums go, this one is out there - the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice retold as a folk opera set in the Great Depression. While Anaïs Mitchell's name is above the title, it's an all-star cast including Justin Vernon of Bon Iver (Orpheus), Ani DiFranco (Persephone), Greg Brown (Hades), and Tanya, Petra, and Rachel Haden (The Fates). Mitchell herself sings the part of Eurydice.

I included a Grooveshark link because Spotify is bigoted against Canadians, but if someone wants to give me a spotify link I can edit it in.

edit: In my old OP which I quoted above, I missed one of the cast - Ben Knox Miller of The Low Anthem sang the part of Hermes.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Also, listening with headphones is highly recommended, especially for the Hayden triplets' "When The Chips Are Down".

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Hadestown is amazing. I love everyone's voices. Greg brown as Hades, that Bon Iver dude as the hero and Anais Michell, (whom honestly had never heard of before this) as Eurydice.

Sorry about not really commenting on the other albums. I been thinking about it but I wanna add something more substantial "This is cool!" or "This is really my style but I dig it"., Maybe I'll do a couple relisten and go back and comment on them.

• Options
    LilliLilli Registered User regular
    Wow, Hadestown is absolutely amazing. I'm not normally one for folk music, I've only dabbled in it in passing, but this just came together in a wonderful way. The entire cast does an excellent job, but Greg Brown is probably my favorite. He just makes such a fantastic Hades. I feel kind of bad saying it, but Anais Mitchell is probably my least favorite part of this album. She still does a good job, and the writing for all of the songs is great, but something about her voice just sets it apart from the rest of the cast but not in a good way. Still the whole thing is superb and everyone should at least give it one full play through.

• Options
    I love the orpheus myth, so this is absolutely sensational to me on a number of levels. I have sworn to train my voice like Greg Brown's now. I'm at the same octave. Gotta get that growl.

• Options
    two of my friends hate mitchell's voice, especially on track 1

what the FUCK

• Options
    Oh man Hadestown is absolutely rocking. I love all of it but I'm a big fan of storytelling albums where the music is also enjoyable divorced from the story - I'm also a fan of Randy Newman's Faust for that reason! I have to say I think Mitchell's voice is good for the part though sometimes it's almost TOO sweet to be believable for me, like on the last song - but otherwise it isn't too sticky sweet and it fits in well. I wish I had another two dozen songs like When The Chips Are Down to put into my regular rotation.

• Options
    I like Mitchell's voice the least of them, but I think that's because she's playing the part of Eurydice so well, and as such is frustrating. I want to blame her for everything, but can't because I doubt I'd be much stronger.

A friend I introduced to this album said that Greg Brown sounded like a Disney villain, but he said it like it was a bad thing, which makes no sense to me.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    @cabsy Try Nilsson's The Point! which would be my album choice if I were playing along and picking an album. It's a story AND really really great music. If you're into stuff like Nilsson.

EyQGd.jpg