Options

Let's talk seriously about Sony.

• Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    you get what you pay for with the hardware.

That right there is the problem.
    It's an opinion a lot of people don't hold.

I'd agree, functionally the PS3 and the 360 are more or less identical to the public at large.

My point was that the PS3 DOES have superior hardware. Whether or not the games indicate this at this time doesn't mean otherwise.

Having superior hardware doesn't mean anything if the games look to be on par with a console that costs $200 less.

This is true right now, it doesn't mean it will be true when the next wave of games come out.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    It's too expensive. At least for me. I can't warrant $600 on a console that doesn't come with a game. At least when I brought home my Wii, I could play Wii Sports.
    If we're airing Sony grievances and Sony-grievance grievances ... the system starts at $500. There's very little* that precludes the $500 system from being a completely functional PS3, which can't be said about the craptacular Xbox 360 Core.

*Only difference I've figured is a lack of PS3-PSP connectivity, which affects a ridiculously small portion of the populace.

There's a lot of difference between the 2 units. 20GB vs 60GB HDD and no wifi vs wifi-capable. Maybe my house is just goofy, but if Sony is trying to make the PS3 a living room appliance and price it at $500/$600, they have to realize they're not all going in tiny college apartments. I want my house to look nice, and ethernet cord running from my living room and down a flight of steps isn't going to cut it. It's 2007. If you console can go online, and especially if it's a front-page feature, give the fucker wifi access by default (also a complaint at the 360).

I was also going to list no HDMI vs HDMI-capable, but Wiki informs me that the 20GB model now has an HDMI port. Good move on Sony's part there.

I'm not sure if the extra 40GB and wifi capability is worth $100, but with downloadable content becoming mainstream and Sony's lack of background-download, I'd want the bigger drive, too. I don't turn on my console to watch it download (also a complaint I have about my Wii - I should be allowed to download OoT while playing TP).
    I'm pretty sure some people have come out and said the hard drive is user-replacable. I can't confirm it, but even without that, "wi-fi/no wi-fi" is a much different choice to make than "hard drive/no hard drive," and only one affects the offline gameplay experience, which the bulk of gamers are still using.

It is kind of ironic that, against all of its higher-tech bretheren, the Wii is the only one with wi-fi standard on the base model. :)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cups42 wrote: »
    I personally think the PS3 Will be this generations Gamecube. It will be 3rd in sales and have some nice games, but won't get near the Xbox360 or Wii.

And let's be fair, Gamecube made profit.

Yes it did. it was a decent system but it wasan't in the same breath as the PS2 and Xbox. Sony isin't in as much trouble as people think they are. But I think if Sony damages the Playstation name, they are in big trouble. It would be the same as if nintendo sunk the Game Boy brand.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    * Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
    * Call of Duty 3
    * Def Jam: Icon
    * Enchanted Arms
    * F.E.A.R.
    * Fight Night Round 3
    * Formula One Championship Edition
    * Full Auto 2: Battlelines
    * Genji: Days of the Blade
    * Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    * Mobile Suit Gundam: Target In Sight
    * MotorStorm
    * NBA 2K7
    * NBA Street: Homecourt
    * Need For Speed Carbon
    * NHL 2K7
    * Resistance: Fall of Man
    * Ridge Racer 7
    * Sonic The Hedgehog
    * Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
    * Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
    * Tony Hawk's Project 8
    * The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    * The Godfather: The Don's Edition
    * Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
    * Virtua Fighter 5
    * Virtua Tennis 3
    * World Snooker Championship 2007

That is not an insane list of games. It has more ports than the Wii launch.

Thats enough games for someone to come out with a healthy gaming experience lined up. Every console launch is going to have "ports" and sports titles. Its the best way to pad out a system.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rage wrote: »
    I can't speak for the majority, but I am part of the 'X-gen gamer with disposable income'demographic, so take my opinon as you will.

I have no desire to own a PS3 for two simple reasons:

- The cost is not justified by the product
    - I don't trust the company

Two very different points of reasoning, but both lead me to the same conclusion.

By and large, spending a grand on a console + optional equipment and games isn't a big deal, but I don't care about Blu-Ray, there are no titles that interest me, and frankly, I think the goliath unit itself is fucking ugly (i know I know...aesthetics are a poor point of reasoning, but still...).

Couple that with an inherent dissatisifaciton and distrust of Sony (re: rootkits, "viral" PSP marketing, Lik-Sang RIP...), and my disposable income is happily spent elsewhere.

Speaking as a Gen-Y lad with a decent job I've found my opinions to swing to the opposite pole of yours.

1. I've got an HDTV. HD is what I want to see on my screen. Whether it's HD Television, HD Discs or HD gaming - I like HD. For me, Blu-ray + Gaming system + Internet Connected Media console = great value for the dollar.

2. I don't give a toss about the company. I don't buy fair trade coffee, I don't give to World Vision and I could care less about rootkits (hello, I'm a Mac).

Two very different points that lead me to the same conclusion: The PS3 is a solid purchase for me.

Considering I work in an office full of folks like me, it stands to reason I'm not alone.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Couple that with an inherent dissatisifaciton and distrust of Sony (re: rootkits, "viral" PSP marketing, Lik-Sang RIP...), and my disposable income is happily spent elsewhere.

My reason for getting a PS3 is the opposite, I trust Sony. You see, when I look back at the games I've actually been enjoying for the past ten years, the vast majority of the great experiences with games I've had happened on a Sony console.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They should have either launched earlier and dropped Blu-Ray (or made it an optional add-on like MS did with HD-DVD) or launched later when they had more system-selling content lined up (both disc-based and online). Free demos are great, but aside from Flow, what's available on PS3 online?

No. Optional add-on when you MAKE THE FORMAT isn't very smart. They included it for both games and movies (and to win a format war). So far, it's working for the format war, and the developers are enjoying the extra space.

Also, I'm sure if you did a bit more research, you'd see the fundamental difference between Live Arcade and PSN. As in Tekken:DR, Lemmings, and more to come...most notably, Jaffe's game, Warhawk and a few others.

I just see the Sony hate as a financial situation or 'just because', nothing more really. Being #1 for so long usually breeds animosity, and isn't restricted to video games.
    I'd agree, functionally the PS3 and the 360 are more or less identical to the public at large.

Needs better marketing, I agree.
    To be honest, I found your "insane" launch lineup underwhelming and dull.
    Not that this is anything unusual, mind you.

That's ok. Most people look at:

Resistance: Fall of Manâ„¢ - SCEE - Disc
    MotorStormâ„¢ - SCEE - Disc
    Genjiâ„¢: Days of the Blade - SCEE - Disc
    FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION - SCEE - Disc
    Ridge Racerâ„¢ 7 - SCEE - Disc
    Tekken®: Dark Resurrection - SCEE - Network
    Lemmingsâ„¢ - SCEE - Network
    Go! Sudoku - SCEE - Network
    Go! Puzzle - SCEE - Network
    Blast Factorâ„¢ - SCEE - Network
    flOwâ„¢ - SCEE - Network
    Super Rub’a'Dub - SCEE - Network
    Call of Duty 3 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision UK Ltd - Disc
    Tony Hawk’s Project 8 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc
    Gundam – Target in Sight - Namco Bandai Games - Disc
    Full Auto™ 2: Battle Lines - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc
    Sonic the Hedgehog™ - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc
    Virtua Fighter™ 5 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc
    Virtua Tennis™ 3 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc
    World Snooker Championship 2007 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc
    NBA 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc
    NHL 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc
    Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWll - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
    Enchanted Arms - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
    Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
    The Elder Scrolls lV: Oblivion - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
    Def Jam: Icon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
    Fight Night Round 3 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
    NBA Street 4 Homecourt 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
    Need for Speed Carbon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
    The Godfather: The Don’s Edition - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
    Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
    F.E.A.R. Vivendi - Universal Games Intl SA - Disc
    Gripshift - Sony Online Entertainment - Network

And see fun. You are "unique".

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only next-gen console I own is a 360, but I personally think the PS3 will be the champ again. I wish I could tell you why I thought this, but I think that the 360 came too soon. You can tell because most of the 1st gen of games looked like (and pretty much were) souped up XBOX games. I think and a year or 2 from now, the technological differences between the PS3 and the 360 will be much, much more apparent than they are now. Sure Gears of War looks amazing (I own it and love it, so it's an opinion I hold), but I think that sooner than you realize the PS3's graphics will shoot ahead of the 360's. And really, that's what this gen is about. It's about the graphics (another debate entirely, which doesn't include Nintendo).

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How many of the games on that list are available on other systems, though? Strike them off - it doesn't make them a reason to own a PS3 if they're available elsewhere.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    [That's ok. Most people look at:

(lots of ports)

What? Um... try again. You can do better than that.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Thats a pretty sizeable group of titles, especially if a person doesn't already have an XBOX, or hasnt played certain games on the XBOX.

And as someone said upchat - if you can drop 500+ on an XBOX360 - you can drop 500-600+ on a PS3. Cost really shouldnt be a factor here.

ED! on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

My point was that the PS3 DOES have superior hardware. Whether or not the games indicate this at this time doesn't mean otherwise.

And that superior hardware will turn into a handicap if blu-ray doesn't make it.

What do you mean? If blu-ray doesn't make it as a format that movie studios continue to use that doesn't mean that games will stop being printed on those discs. Blu-ray will always be the method of distributing PS3 games and it will always hold more content than DVD.
    But it will mean that the PS3 is no longer a valid medai player, thus making it less value for money.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    I can't speak for the majority, but I am part of the 'X-gen gamer with disposable income'demographic, so take my opinon as you will.

I have no desire to own a PS3 for two simple reasons:

- The cost is not justified by the product

Two very different points of reasoning, but both lead me to the same conclusion.

By and large, spending a grand on a console + optional equipment and games isn't a big deal, but I don't care about Blu-Ray, there are no titles that interest me, and frankly, I think the goliath unit itself is fucking ugly (i know I know...aesthetics are a poor point of reasoning, but still...).

Speaking as a Gen-Y lad with a decent job I've found my opinions to swing to the opposite pole of yours.

1. I've got an HDTV. HD is what I want to see on my screen. Whether it's HD Television, HD Discs or HD gaming - I like HD. For me, Blu-ray + Gaming system + Internet Connected Media console = great value for the dollar.

2. I don't give a toss about the company. I don't buy fair trade coffee, I don't give to World Vision and I could care less about rootkits (hello, I'm a Mac).

Two very different points that lead me to the same conclusion: The PS3 is a solid purchase for me.

Considering I work in an office full of folks like me, it stands to reason I'm not alone.
    Thus it can be concluded that two similar people can come to different conclusions. This is known as "opinion."

I'm not calling you out or anything. I just find it strange how cutthroat people get when they insist that their viewpoints are gospel truth and that no one else in a similar position could ever come to a different conclusion.

This generation has fanboys turning the consoles into fucking sports teams, and it's getting old rather quickly. I'd rather talk about the games themselves, but almost every single game thread devolves into a System Wars-ish clusterfuck, regardless of the game in question.
    El Viento wrote:
    My reason for getting a PS3 is the opposite, I trust Sony. You see, when I look back at the games I've actually been enjoying for the past ten years, the vast majority of the great experiences with games I've had happened on a Sony console.
    You know as well as I do that relying on previous generations' big franchises to predict future generations is a risky proposition. Or haven't you seen what happened to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    And that superior hardware will turn into a handicap if blu-ray doesn't make it.

I invite you to look at the latest charts. If anything, HD-DVD is on the outs. Past that, Blu-ray gives developers the chance to make bigger/better games. This is not true of traditional DVD media.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    [That's ok. Most people look at:

(lots of ports)

What? Um... try again. You can do better than that.

Got there before me.

Most games in that list are either 1) apparantly nothing special or 2) ports. This leaves, as far as I can see, Virtua Fighter 5, which I have little interest in.

I invite you to look at the latest charts. If anything, HD-DVD is on the outs. Past that, Blu-ray gives developers the chance to make bigger/better games. This is not true of traditional DVD media.

Oddly enough, figures I see say the exact opposite, and HD-DVD also has the advantage you ascribe.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not a big fan of Sony's recent antics

The PS2 was a great console but the PS3 just doesn't appeal to me at all

I'll stick with the Wii and probably a 360 sometime down the line

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    El Viento wrote: »

One should not simply assume that a console will be worthwile based on its predecessor's merits.

edit: damn, I got beat.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ED! wrote: »

Thats a pretty sizeable group of titles, especially if a person doesn't already have an XBOX, or hasnt played certain games on the XBOX.

And as someone said upchat - if you can drop 500+ on an XBOX360 - you can drop 500-600+ on a PS3. Cost really shouldnt be a factor here.

"Shouldn't" doesn't matter for anything. If there are no compelling reasons to spend $100-200 dollars more on something, then they won't do it.

Lemming on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'm finding this to be an odd line of reasoning. Yes, if you can afford a 360 + games, you can probably afford another couple of hundred for a PS3, but why would you?

Sony hasn't really given us a compelling reason to spend the extra money.

japan on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Having superior hardware doesn't mean anything if the games look to be on par with a console that costs $200 less.

Have you seen Lair recently?

Because it looks better than everything on the 360 including Gears.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Debating the launch titles is pretty silly. The Wii had a pretty good lineup, in large part due to the free Wii Sports. I can admit Zelda helped a lot despite my dislike for it. But go back through the other launches-what has had a really standout, all around lineup of titles (not just 1 megahit like Halo)? Dreamcast. Seems that having a good launch is detrimental-better to string consumers along than to overwhelm them at the start.

I really think people just don't like Sony due to the PR about them, and rightfully so. But instead of taking opportunities to bash companies, just stop paying attention to them :P

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I don't understand this line of thinking. Paying $200 more is acceptable because you're spending $400 anyway?

I think a lot of people (myself included) won't spend anything more than 400-500 on a game console just based on principle alone. I can afford it, it's just entirely too much. Especially when there's a competing box that is $200 cheaper with basically no difference in the quality of the games (thus far, at least).

edit: pinciple/principal.. d'oh

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

How many movies are being sold on HD media vs. DVD? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious, and I don't have a decent reference to hand.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thats not what I mean. Bitching about the PS3's price point, when someone will turn around and spend 400 plus tax on an XBOX360, 50 on XBLive and maybe another 40 on a proper headset seems a tad odd. . .if the PS3 had the same number of titles out for it that the XBOX currently does - I would have bought that instead of the XBOX in a second.
    I think a lot of people (myself included) won't spend anything more than 400-500 on a game console just based on principal alone.

Id really like to see some of these people, and what their reactions were to the Core versus Premium pricing structure when the 360 was first launched.

ED! on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys, we can bullshit all about System Capabilities, Price, Hardware Etc. But in the end, It's all about the games . X360 Has the game that makes a lot of people go WOW, I want that game (Gears of War). However I haven't seen that killer game for PS3

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thats not what I mean. Bitching about the PS3's price point, when someone will turn around and spend 400 plus tax on an XBOX360, 50 on XBLive and maybe another 40 on a proper headset seems a tad odd. . .if the PS3 had the same number of titles out for it that the XBOX currently does - I would have bought that instead of the XBOX in a second.
    That's a mighty big if.

You're also equating Xbox Live Gold with the PS Network, which is a whole other can of beans.

Lunker on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How long did it take before Gears of War hit the 360? One year after the console launched? Ah yes.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys, we can bullshit all about System Capabilities, Price, Hardware Etc. But in the end, It's all about the games . X360 Has the game that makes a lot of people go WOW, I want that game (Gears of War). However I haven't seen that killer game for PS3
    Well the 360 has had a year head start, but looking forward the ps3's library looks a lot more appealing to me.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That is a disadvantage of being a year late. Games of that caliber ARE coming to the PS3.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    DewtheKingAJDDewtheKingAJD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just curious, is everyone complaining about the PS3 price in this thread a Wii owner? Asking because it seems as if these people would jump on a $250 console as fast as possible. Plus, I'll have to remember this discussion when the next Xbox is released and just hope that it is $600+ so I can have a private chuckle.

DewtheKingAJD on
    banner.jpg

PSN ID : DewtheKing

Playing: The Red Star, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Resistance: Fall of Manâ„¢ - SCEE - Disc
    MotorStormâ„¢ - SCEE - Disc
    Genjiâ„¢: Days of the Blade - SCEE - Disc
    FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION - SCEE - Disc
    Ridge Racerâ„¢ 7 - SCEE - Disc
    Tekken®: Dark Resurrection - SCEE - Network
    Lemmingsâ„¢ - SCEE - Network - can be played elsewhere
    Go! Sudoku - SCEE - Network - can be played elsewhere FOR FREE
    Go! Puzzle - SCEE - Network
    Blast Factorâ„¢ - SCEE - Network
    flOwâ„¢ - SCEE - Network - can be played elsewhere FOR FREE with sane controls
    Super Rub’a'Dub - SCEE - Network
    Call of Duty 3 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc - port
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision UK Ltd - Disc - port
    Tony Hawk’s Project 8 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc - port
    Gundam – Target in Sight - Namco Bandai Games - Disc
    Full Auto™ 2: Battle Lines - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc
    Sonic the Hedgehog™ - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc port and crap
    Virtua Fighter™ 5 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc
    Virtua Tennis™ 3 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc
    World Snooker Championship 2007 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc
    NBA 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc
    NHL 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc
    Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWll - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc - port
    Enchanted Arms - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc - port
    Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc - port
    The Elder Scrolls lV: Oblivion - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc - port (and they're not enjoying the extra space; they're hating the load times and put all the data on the disc twice to compensate
    Def Jam: Icon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc - port
    Fight Night Round 3 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc - port
    NBA Street 4 Homecourt 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc - port
    Need for Speed Carbon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc - port
    The Godfather: The Don’s Edition - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc - port (unless this is different from the PS2/XBOX/PC/360 versions)
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc - port
    Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
    F.E.A.R. Vivendi - Universal Games Intl SA - Disc - port
    Gripshift - Sony Online Entertainment - Network

And see little that can't be had elsewhere.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Just curious, is everyone complaining about the PS3 price in this thread a Wii owner?

Nope.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    El Viento wrote:
    You know as well as I do that relying on previous generations' big franchises to predict future generations is a risky proposition. Or haven't you seen what happened to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest?

No, see, I deliberately didn't go to specifics as franchises or even singling out particular games. Just fun experiences. Sony consoles gave me more fun experiences than any other, and objectively approaching this as a consumer I can expect the PS3 to give me some more great entertainment.

I'm not saying anything about the competition, just why my thinking as a consumer meant buying a PS3 was a no-brainer for me. I don't put so much stock in franchises or whatever, I do however that the PS3 will deliver in fun times for me.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just curious, is everyone complaining about the PS3 price in this thread a Wii owner? Asking because it seems as if these people would jump on a $250 console as fast as possible. Plus, I'll have to remember this discussion when the next Xbox is released and just hope that it is $600+ so I can have a private chuckle.

*facepalm*

Criticising Sony =/= Nintendo fanboyism.

Give it up already.

Also, when the 360 was announced at $400 there was a shitstorm of criticism on this board. So don't think the griping is unique to Sony.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    edit: Re: Price. The compelling reasons are games. If 360 has MGS4 or a suitable replacement thereof, I'll get it. Otherwise I'll get a PS3 for it. It's similar to choosing between a ps2 and Xbox for me-I wanted an action beat 'em up, and it was a choice between Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. Both good games, good platforms, but the PS2 had other offerings I was also interested in, while the Xbox didn't, so I went with DMC. The exact same thing applies here-look at the titles you're likely to get per system, buy the system with the most amount of titles you think you'll enjoy. Again, for me, nothing is appealing on the Wii. It could be $25 instead of $250 and I wouldn't get it, because I'm simply not interested. Maybe I will be later, and purchase it.

Focusing on launches just seems silly-launches are consumers trying to guess at which system will have the most games they like. It's like odds in Vegas :P

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    DewtheKingAJDDewtheKingAJD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

*facepalm*

Criticising Sony =/= Nintendo fanboyism.

Give it up already.

Also, when the 360 was announced at $400 there was a shitstorm of criticism on this board. So don't think the griping is unique to Sony.

What I said has nothing to do about fanboyism, if you read it correctly, you SHOULD have seen it was about price.

DewtheKingAJD on
    banner.jpg

PSN ID : DewtheKing

Playing: The Red Star, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You see, I beat this (GoW) over two weekends and got bored of multiplayer in about a week, and yet I'm getting a real kick out of Resistance. I'm probably in the minority but 'meh'.

Test Drive Unlimited on the other hand, I played almost solidly for about two months so swings & roundabouts.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Willeth wrote: »
    Most games in that list are either 1) apparantly nothing special

Never played Resistance I'll wager. And free GT:HD. There are a lot of ports there, and a few of them have enhancements, Oblivion off the top of my head. This doesn't lessen the line-up for someone who wants a PS3.

Personally, I wanted to own a PS3 because the majority of games that I play are made by Capcom, Konami and Sony's 1st/2nd party. And those didn't go anywhere from last gen. I also wanted an HD movie player. Only one system has all those.

For me, buying a 360 would cost the same (or more, minus a few of the benefits, like audio, hard drive, wireless which is why I'm waiting to see if they make one that isn't so faulty or introduce the rumored new SKU).

So let me pose a question here: flash forward two years, PS3 is widely available, a 20 gb version is out for $399, and there a few games out like MGS4, FF13, and the plethora from their own studios. Do you buy one?

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I personally think the PS3 Will be this generations Gamecube. It will be 3rd in sales and have some nice games, but won't get near the Xbox360 or Wii.

And let's be fair, Gamecube made profit.

Yes it did. it was a decent system but it wasan't in the same breath as the PS2 and Xbox.

It wasn't in the same breath as the PS2.

It was roughly equal to the Xbox. It amazes me how Xbox and Gamecube can have similar levels of sales and yet the Xbox is touted as a success while the Gamecube is considered a failure.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been of the opinion that when someone (or a company) berates me, screws me over, lies to me, sells me faulty equipment, needlessly attacks and/or destroys people who are helping them (including their customers), and pulls the ol' bait and switch, I have a tendency to not give those offending people my money.

Sony has offended me too many times in the past year, and with their history of hardware problems, I will not be funding their jackassery.

Call me kooky, but I feel that buying a $600 Sony system right now would be like buying $20 RIAA cds. I'd be feeding the beast, and I feel that beast needs to die.

I'll enjoy getting a PS3 in a couple of years and catching up to see what I've missed, when it's priced a bit more sensibly, but only after Sony's brought down a notch or two. All the other handhelds and consoles offer more AAA gaming than I can possibly play, so I can wait for as long as it takes.

slurpeepoop on
This discussion has been closed.