As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Sandman: [Phalla] Country: Day 7: Mafia & Destruction Victory!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    I totally should have pushed harder and earlier on Taya, though. Such a bogus role.

Nope I am confirmed vanilla.

Let it be known that I never said that haha.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I totally should have pushed harder and earlier on Taya, though. Such a bogus role.

Let it be known that I never said that haha.

I knew you didn't and I knew I wasn't confirmed. I just needed to not be the most suspicious.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

Nirya was this close to letting you into the circle, until I said "Whoa, having no powers do not mean she is confirmed"

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    My favorite thing was messaging Farangu after I died to thank him, and Farangu replied with this:
    You're quite welcome. You probably should have kept living, but Death is playing the SK game quite nicely.

Too bad she isn't one.

And to be honest, my whole goal with announcing myself was to die, just so that kime would be confirmed and everyone would funnel him info.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Yep, that busdriver completely fucked over my mind. I get why Akimbo did it, but it hosed me for two days.

• Options
    Also, I died in this and the Main on the same day. I had a rough couple of days in Phallaland.

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    My favorite thing was messaging Farangu after I died to thank him, and Farangu replied with this:
    You're quite welcome. You probably should have kept living, but Death is playing the SK game quite nicely.

Too bad she isn't one.

And to be honest, my whole goal with announcing myself was to die, just so that kime would be confirmed and everyone would funnel him info.

By the time you died, Death was the only one left with anything valuable. And only like two other people cared enough to talk to me....

Steam profile
  • Options

Too bad she isn't one.

By the time you died, Death was the only one left with anything valuable. And only like two other people cared enough to talk to me....

I was hoping to die earlier, actually.

Yeah, I know. Probably the night you revealed. But things didn't work as planned haha.

Steam profile
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    This was a fun phalla to follow

good game you all

• Options
    Yeah, Nirya survived a day longer than intended, due to hilarious circumstances.

• Options

Too bad she isn't one.

I was hoping to die earlier, actually.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Frustrating to roleplay/have fun and have people go "oh hey you're acting funny STEER A WAGON ONTO HIMMMMMMMMMMMM"

I enjoyed your roleplay.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Frustrating to roleplay/have fun and have people go "oh hey you're acting funny STEER A WAGON ONTO HIMMMMMMMMMMMM"

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    mafia was scared of me?

hm

I will take that as a moral victory
    I know they weren't scared at all and it was just a bandwagon, but don't take this away from me

ObiFett on
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Not sure whether to condemn the village or congratulate the mafia. Though Langly flew totally under my radar. GG.

Why is it everyone else who played poorly? You were technically inactive until I called you on it. If it wasn't for your voting patterns on the day before I died, I would have still been pushing for your death. And it would have been justified.

"You're so dumb. I'm not mafia just because I'm inactive."

"It's hard to kill mafia when they hide amongst the inactive players."

As an inactive, even if you aren't mafia, you're certainly making their job easier.
    1) I'm a member of the village. Remember?
    2) There's nothing inconsistent about saying "I'm not mafia just because I was inactive over a weekend".
    3) Crusading against the inactive is a time-honored tradition rooted in idiocy.

Go look back at this game. Which mafia members were inactive? Taya? Nope. Langly? Nope!

We would have been better served marching down the bandwagon on Obifett:

Day 1
    ObiFett: 8 (Taya, The Anonymous, Langly, Nirya, Matev, I needed a name to post., Figgy, Assuran)

They handed us victory in the voting record, just like the mafia always does. We were just too blind to see it.

But there was never any reason to look there? Like, anyone with any votes that day was village, the mafia could just do whatever. Sorta seems like a "hindsight is 20/20" situation

Steam profile
  • Options
    I usually try to be active in games no matter my role but lately I've been losing my desire to analyze posts and to argue with people. In this game I didn't know the source material and even if I did, I just didn't have much to say.

Maybe I need a phalla break.

• Options
    kime's correct on that one.

The two wagons that day were Obi and INANTP, neither being mafia. Mafia did whatever the hell they wanted.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I usually try to be active in games no matter my role but lately I've been losing my desire to analyze posts and to argue with people. In this game I didn't know the source material and even if I did, I just didn't have much to say.

Maybe I need a phalla break.

Nothing wrong with that. I took a solid 8-9 months off this board.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Baidol wrote: »

The two wagons that day were Obi and INANTP, neither being mafia. Mafia did whatever the hell they wanted.

But you guys didnt know INANTP wasn't mafia till the end.

I don't know why INANTP wasn't voted out day two just to be sure there wasn't any info to be gleaned from day one voting.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

I don't know why INANTP wasn't voted out day two just to be sure there wasn't any info to be gleaned from day one voting.

Because we need information. Everyone voting for one guy provides no info.

If you really want to kill the second-place winner, you do it with the vig.

• Options
    And I didn't think INANTP was mafia. I never did. Too often we kill the Day 1 vote survivor just because. 9 times out of 10, we're just killing off another villager.

• Options

This happens a lot and it's pointless.

There's nothing strange or suspicious about coming in second place. People are second place every day and they are no more or less likely to be mafia than anyone. You may argue that the mafia would try to push someone ahead to save their teammate, but more often than not the second place guy is just a regular person who got lucky.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Even if we had voted him off, we'd have learned he was villager, and thus not done anything.

As was discussed not too long ago in the main, you don't kill the second place person on the basis of them being second place in the hopes it will maybe lend some info. Because of situations like this, where it wouldn't

Edit: could have just saved myself the posting what with everyone else rebutting this hahaha.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Honestly, I thought I would be more suspicious if I hadn't voted Obi cause of the previous game. Didn't do that much good in the end (Except making INANTP look suspicious to a few people)

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Normally second place is clearly just second place and I agree.

But this time there were some late day shenanigans which could have used a closer look, imo.

While its true INANTP was village this time, there were no other leads to go on day two anyways. Seems like it could have been useful to rule out him being mafia by vigging or voting him out.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Normally second place is clearly just second place and I agree.

But this time there were some late day shenanigans which could have used a closer look, imo.

While its true INANTP was village this time, there were no other leads to go on day two anyways. Seems like it could have been useful to rule out him being mafia by vigging or voting him out.

Except that we never wasted time on it later and he turned out to be village. Maybe in general you're right. Sometimes. But not here

Steam profile
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also, what did he tell you each day? That his failure to roleblock anyone was just bad luck?

I gave him an itemized list of roleblock hits, of people I knew had no powers and therefore were not aware they had been targeted

Langly on
  • Options
    I would like to say, thank god we won because I felt (and you can see this if you read the proboards) horrible for switching the guard day one and losing matev. It killed me, so I am glad we won for him because he had a cool role and I fucked it up for him.

Kime should definnitely not be blamed for believing a roleblocker was village, as it is often only attributed to mafia roles, and he was actually really thoughtful to not give in to that urge. If I was a village roleblocker, I would have done roughly the same thing. I would have been pretty important in finding the mafia vig (if it wasn't myself), and it would have been difficult to prove to a network that I wasn't evil. It would just be better to try and silently find the evil vig and wait it out.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Aw, Langly, stop it, you're gonna make me start feeling feelings or something going on like that.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    If I feel good about any action this game, it was calling a kill on simulacrum day two out of a gut feeling. Getting the extra vig was crucial to us winning.

Also @farangu I haven't gone and looked back, but I thought that dream was getting a kill every night, he only missed one night?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    No, Dream had 3 abilities (vig, roleblock, guard) and had to pick one to use everynight, but couldn't choose the same ability twice in a row. He also couldn't guard himself.

He went Vig-Guard-Vig.

Assuran on
  • Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting @Farangu! I had a blast. I was so sure that my comment about neutrals was what got my killed, glad to see I was "seered." I learned a lesson that info we keep on the mafia boards usually isn't common knowledge. Grats to my mafia brothers and sisters!

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    Also, I've been a vig twice now and have killed a mafia day 1 both times.

The flipside is that I was a major cause of the village defeat both times I've been a vig.

I still stand by the fact I did the right thing in Munkus' game.

• Options
    One day I want to be a vig. This was my first time as a network head, though, so that was cool.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    @Bedlam I am sorry! I felt bad when we killed you.
    I

FUCKING

CALLED IT!

Usually when we soft network I contact you and say whats up and you're all "Hi Bedlam this is my power lets work together and be best friends!" and this game you didnt even claim a cover role. I told Cyth you were suspicious and he said he'd look into it but I wasnt sure you were mafia until after I died. I also should have never said "please dont kill me" but I was having a bad day and I really hate how much Ive been getting day 1'd lately (lets go back to killing Bedlam day 3-5 kthx)

That said I was never anything but vanilla so Langly assuming guard on the proboards is kind of funny. Also my role PM said I was Delerium's dog so I made it my personal quest to find Delerium even though it nothing to do with powers or win conditions.

And roleplaying a talking dog was just too much fun. I wish I had said more about it in main instead of keeping all the fun stuff in PMs.

• Options
    Oh I never said "mafia" in that PM conversation. I sure was thinking it though.

• Options
    And yet another reason to never ever trust Langly :P

• Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    I told you guys about langly...I warned you...

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Man when Langly went for Reg Rysk a second time but called it a shot in the dark after his fairly clear justification the first time around, my eyes narrowed

When he pegged INANTP but still suspected Reg as being mafia I was pretty sure he was red

At that point where we couldn't afford a miss, hitting his actual suspicion would have made more sense; hitting INANTP was either an attempt to cover for Reg actually being mafia or just a weird inconsistency. I can't see a mafioso calling out their own more than once and only early on, so it had to be a farce.

Also you are all jerkbutts. Next game imma post one youtube poop and one bandwagon vote a day :|

Nullzone on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    So much doubt, but I am vindicated in sweet sweet victory.

Also: lucky as hell nobody ever targetted me. That ability was SCARY as shit.

...scary good? or scary bad?

A little of both.

I kept envisioning this scenario where I was busdrivered and targeted for a kill where the busdriver was stopped but the kill wasn't.

Leaving it up to random chance I had to be ambiguous after I revealed or else they would have said "Oh, well that's worth checking out"

I never got targeted at all as far as I can tell, but by the time we got to day 6 I had a 52% chance to avoid any kills...leaving it up to probability makes it scary. Could have been 94% chance on day 12 and I still would be nervous about that 6% chance.