As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of Thrones 2nd ed. - Game 1 - My kingdom for a barrel

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    IT LIVES!

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    sorry folks i died for a while.

upgrade the footman. thats why i said 'footman to knight'

• Options
    ill also be sending my orders along later tonight.

• Options
    You died, I brainfarted.

Just a couple of zombies and farting here.

• Options
    Sorry I'm trying to sort out messages.

I could have sworn I had most orders in, but I'm not finding them. Messages so old they were deleted???

@38thDoe @jakobagger @sartori (is he still the Tyrell player?)

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Can you post a map showing muster?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I actually can't even remember if I sent them or not, but it might not be a bad idea re-doing them with an updated map anyway. We can use all types of orders this turn, right?

Oh and I believe Styyx took over Tyrell.

• Options
    Yeah let's redo them. I can't find anyone but Martel's in my messages.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Orders in.

• Options
    Okay I think we just need @Styyx and Lannister to send orders now.

• Options
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Turn 8 - Action Phase
    boardturn8justboard.jpg

Perform raid orders one at a time starting with @jakobagger and proceeding in Iron Throne order.

• Options
    Actually, @38thDoe is first with the raven.

• Options
    You're right! It hasn't been long since I played this at all!

Stark to decide to peek at the top Wildling card or change an order (with one you still have available in reserve).

• Options
    I planned on doing the second one. Map is content filtered though, so will have to wait a bit. I'm terrible.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Orders available to you are:

Raid
    Raid *
    Defense+1 x 2
    Defense+2*
    March -1

You are allowed to swap a special order with another special order, but there can be only 3 on the board at the end.

• Options
    I'll flip winterfell to defense +2

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited January 2013
    @jakobagger to start the raiding

MrBody on
  • Options
    all my raids can obviously do nothing

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Tyrell doesn't HAVE to raid Blackwater...just a reminder :(

MrBody on
  • Options
    I'll remove the raid in Ironman's Bay to wait and see.

• Options
  • Options
    StyyxStyyx Registered User regular
    Not raiding blackwater

• Options
    Narrow sea raids Mountains of Moon support

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Back to @jackobagger as the only one with any valid raid orders left.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Stark has a raid in Cracklaw Point too.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: Β»
    Narrow sea raids Mountains of Moon support
    Raid the Blackwater.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    oops

• Options
    I'm removing my raids. Peace in our time!

• Options
    Good game by the way Greyjoy. I can't believe it's finally going to come to a close.

• Options
    Turn 8 - Action Phase
    boardturn8justboard.jpg

@jakobagger for the win

• Options
    Attack the Reach from Searoad Marches. Greyjoy 2 vs. Tyrell 3

I think that should be a guaranteed victory with Balon.

Long live the Anti Andal Alliance! The North shall rise again!

• Options
    Well there you have it.

• Options
    Went with Tyrell because I wanted to have Stark in second place at least (no draws in this game), to reward the peace we kept throughout the game. Of course I would have taken Winterfell or Moat Cailin had that been the only way to win but with Stark's help I could keep up my consistent strategy of griefing Styyx, even in his second life (sorry Styyx). And with the tie breaker of power tokens I thin Stark ekes out second place over Martell (since they're tied for strongholds and supply.)

At one point I had ambitions of going all out for Highgarden, but screwing up orders and having to defend myself against a two-pronged all out assault made it hard. Would have been glorious though. Would also have been great, and possibly easier if I'd kept to coastal castles, but once you've taken Harrenhal the curse of the land war is upon you.

Nice to see it's possible to win with Greyjoy without betraying both Stark and Lannister. Ebony and ivory...

Thanks for the game guys, and for actually taking the time to wrap up this last turn even though it was more or less decided already.

• Options
    There is no second place in game of thrones in my opinion. That way it discourages kingmaking.

After playing the dances with dragons expansion, I actually find myself preferring that over this version. It makes for a lot more interesting interactions between the houses.

• Options
    Styyx wrote: Β»
    There is no second place in game of thrones in my opinion. That way it discourages kingmaking.

After playing the dances with dragons expansion, I actually find myself preferring that over this version. It makes for a lot more interesting interactions between the houses.

Well sure, actually winning is what counts. It was just nice being able to do it without any backstabbing of my ally, when I for once had one (when I play in real life there aren't many deals apart from very situational opportunistic bargains in a given turn.

In a political war game with more than two sides there will always be some kingmaking, I think.

In this case, Baratheon also helped by constantly pressuring Stark in the Narrow Sea which meant Stark didn't have his back free to start an all out attack on me to stop my victory.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Greyjoy has reached 7 castles and is the victor!

The Iron Throne has been purchased with iron. Westeros is whole once more, with no more scarring wars until the next one.

GoT-house-greyjoy.jpg

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It was a long road with at least two zombie resurrections, but we finally managed to finish the game!

THOUGHTS

At first I tried leaving Stark alone because I wanted him to put pressure on Greyjoy. But once I saw he was going to keep pushing down the right side and not touch Greyjoy I figured might as well kick him out of the Narrow Sea.

That last turn...I can only assume was Stark intentionally wanting to end the game. Greyjoy was guaranteed the win if the tracks stayed the same and during that Clash of Kings Stark had more power than everyone else combined, enough to put himself in first position on all three tracks. I guess all the spare power went to the retirement fund.

THE GAME ITSELF

Played a physical copy of this a while ago. The outcome there was very similar. Greyjoy and Stark pledged BFFs 4life and Greyjoy won (by turn 4 or something crazy like that). I think it's safe to say if one player completely crushes his neighbor and the other neighbor doesn't move against him, then the crusher has won. This seems like one of those games where everyone has to know their "role".

Playing a physical copy without a list of house cards in front of you is also completely unworkable O_O

I'm still not sure about balance. I have no clue what Lannister is supposed to do against Greyjoy, other then hope that no musters or clashes of kings come up so that he can keep special consolidating. I've read all the Lannister rush strategies against Greyjoy and they all assume that no musters ever come up. There is no contingency plan.

Balon is bonkers. I remember the first edition had him at strength 0, which makes a lot more sense. The fact that they get strength 2 Balon and a 3 and a 4 strength card is crazy. Throw in the starting fiefdom sword and there's no way Lannister has a chance if a muster ever comes up.

BUT...I figure they threw in those Greyjoy cards to compete against Stark, who has the best long term cards. Just keep playing Ned and Roose over and over (that's why I kept Patchface'ing Roose). So Stark gets both the best cards and the best position. The only player who can really take him is a Greyjoy with no neighbors to worry about (check) and a Stark extending a two front war (check).

Lannister...pee u those cards stink. By far the weakest. Every card is just some moderate bonus if you win, but no special abilities that actually win you the battle in the first place (and even the special abilities aren't that great: Cersei vs Queen of Thornes?). I can't believe they boosted Greyjoy's cards to stand against Stark but left Lannister with those cards to stand against Greyjoy. Stark probably should get the weakest cards to balance their best position. Lannister gets stuck with the worst cards AND position. Even if they somehow managed to rush Pyke I don't see how they can mop up and consolidate fast enough before neighbors fall on him with superior cards.

Baratheon/Martel/Tyrell all seem pretty balanced (though Tyrell has slightly better cards). Those stalemate navy standoffs can get crazy. King's Landing isn't as great as it appears. You rarely want to consolidate power over mustering there. I would have rather had a barrel and a crown like the other strongholds instead of two crowns.

The Narrow Sea is a little TOO good. I think they could shrink its borders a little bit so it doesn't touch Crackclaw and even Moat Calin (Stark's fleet can support Moat Calin chokepoint but not Greyjoy, furthering the need for Greyjoy to have crazy cards). I think they could even move the port at White Harbor over to the Shivering Sea; it's far too easy for Stark to hold The Narrow Sea with the port there.

Supporting the Blackwatch is for suckers :p

MrBody on
  • Options
    @MrBody Thank you so much for hosting this game. I know how much work it is to run a PbP game.

Even though I read the rules, I kind of thought the game would be slower paced, with more of a focus on grabbing the neutral territories. Anyways, I didn't feel comfortable moving against Greyjoy since when I moved on unit out of place Baratheon was all over me. That second clash of kings really took the wind out of my sales. Greyjoy had more troops than me, and Baratheon had better cards+dagger+higher on the track. I felt really hemmed in. So, at the end of the game, I knew I wasn't going to win, I chose to support Greyjoy over Baratheon since if you have to kingmake, you go with the one who kept their promise.

I think Stark felt most like Diplomacy Russia to me. You are bigger but you really need to keep up two fronts.

38thDoE on steam