Options

[chat]!

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It makes me sad that single sword is almost never a legitimate style of fighting in PnP RPGs or videogames. It's always either dual wielding, sword and board, or a two hander, always.

Never just good old single sword. /nerd

I was under the impression that style of fighting was never actually used except in either formalized settings (duels, sports) or in conjunction with firearms.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    And I've noticed that you've always tried to keep a mental distinction between arguments that are only pragmatically true for our confluence of circumstances versus arguments that are broadly applicable across different historical/cultural contexts.

<3

take me now!

I've started to use the word "tactical" in a philosophical sense because of you.

Just FYI

You make me feel good about life :)

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    PAX REGISTRATION IS OPEN GO GO GO

--

Or not because it's still not working. FFFFFFF

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It makes me sad that single sword is almost never a legitimate style of fighting in PnP RPGs or videogames. It's always either dual wielding, sword and board, or a two hander, always.

I was under the impression that style of fighting was never actually used except in either formalized settings (duels, sports) or in conjunction with firearms.

It was used in both rapier and small sword, at least. Though rapier was often paired with an off-hand dagger. To my knowledge small swords were used exclusively by themselves, one handed. There may be other European styles (saber perhaps?) that were single but I haven't done the research. And I know very little technical stuff about non-Western styles.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Damn it, skippy talking about gunsmithing reminded me about the existence of the custom fighters forum and their build threads.

Then an hour later I realise that I've read 40 pages of a 172 page thread, most of which have been about titanium nitride coated bolts.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    desc wrote: »
    So I ordered Battleship Galaxies (honestly I want the hex maps and plastic ships for Colonial Battlefleet as much as the Battleship game itself) and Sentinels of the Multiverse which is a co op superhero card game.

I almost ordered Race for the Galaxy but I'm not sure about the "multiplayer solitaire" I hear so often -- I am really hot on anything with a sPACe fleet / 4x vibe right now but I doubt RtfG is going to be the game I want it to be.

I wonder how that co op LOTR card game is. Hmm.

I have played tons of Race for the Galaxy if you have any questions.

The very short version is: "multiplayer solitare" is the baby-talk of RttG. You can play it that way and most people start out doing it that way when they are learning. You will lose - and lose hard - every single time to someone who is actually playing off the other players and not just doing their own solitare thing.

It is a super deep game with tons of replayability and a very long learning curve. There is always more to figure out.

edit: oh and yeah it's not at all a 4x game.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    So I ordered Battleship Galaxies (honestly I want the hex maps and plastic ships for Colonial Battlefleet as much as the Battleship game itself) and Sentinels of the Multiverse which is a co op superhero card game.

I almost ordered Race for the Galaxy but I'm not sure about the "multiplayer solitaire" I hear so often -- I am really hot on anything with a sPACe fleet / 4x vibe right now but I doubt RtfG is going to be the game I want it to be.

i played race for the galaxy at a board game night

it was cool

• Options
    After playing with the most recent expansion for Race for the Galaxy I can't imagine playing without it.

I mean, I could care less about the prestige thing but, that game desperately needed that once per game search power.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Hey want to hear the bubblegum pop that I freak the fuck out to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic&amp;ob=av3e

Seriously: this is what I listen to when I spaz out in front of full-length mirror and sing into my hairbrush.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    You can mitigate this quite a bit with occasional respecs.

I'm super conflicted about respecs. On the one hand, I hate being condemned forever to be less effective than I could. But, on the other hand, I feel like it really disrupts the campaign when I go from being a frost mage of the northern wastes with a fully fleshed out history to being a random fire-punk because the burning feats are way better.

It's genre specific for me. It's harder in fantasy then say science fiction. If I'm playing a cyborg in a spaceships campaign then hey, I go back under the knife, get my left arm chopped off, replaced with chrome while my former chrome arm is replaced with a vat grown replacement. Or for Supers you just retcon it.

To do it in fantasy always seems to require it to be a major plot event.

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    Damn it, skippy talking about gunsmithing reminded me about the existence of the custom fighters forum and their build threads.

Then an hour later I realise that I've read 40 pages of a 172 page thread, most of which have been about titanium nitride coated bolts.

haha

i have been watching this gunsmithing show for like 2 hours

• Options
    I am sad that there will be no PAX for me this year but, oh well, logistics.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    GGSV0.jpg

Its a combo of
    33396_725076523677_602696_40942084_1259153_n.jpg
    37417_727332367947_602696_41036303_3157421_n.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Registered for PAX, whoo.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    You make me feel good about life :)

d'awwwwwww!

You're welcome!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Or if you really want to change characters, then heroic character death is always an option. As a GM I was always willing to accommodate players if they decided they wanted to change characters completely.

• Options
    After playing with the most recent expansion for Race for the Galaxy I can't imagine playing without it.

I mean, I could care less about the prestige thing but, that game desperately needed that once per game search power.

I like that expansion too yeah. Though I think it is kind of an "experts only" thing. Everything it adds really rewards players who already have mastered the content in the previous expansions. The points spread between a new player and an experienced one gets really big with that expansion (experienced player is going to be like 70+ to the 20-30 for a newb)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

I like that expansion too yeah. Though I think it is kind of an "experts only" thing. Everything it adds really rewards players who already have mastered the content in the previous expansions. The points spread between a new player and an experienced one gets really big with that expansion (experienced player is going to be like 70+ to the 20-30 for a newb)

Yeah that's true. If you are new you won't really know what to be searching for or why, so if you are new straight base game is definitely the way to go. But man, as a more experienced player not having an entire military gameplan unravel just because I couldn't get the plus military development at the right time is a god send.

I've never once got a chance to actually play with the conquering planet expansion stuff. Every time people go "oh it's too complicated."

I WANNA TRY IT

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Oh fuck you prototype 2
    Your ad lies the first five minutes now me and Alex mercer are buds?

Also Lols at the resident evil: afterlife ending

Didn't know umbrella
    Allowed their brainwashed operatives to wear tongue rings durin missions.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    oh and desc, it's not space-themed but the 2010 version of Civilization (the board game) is really good 4x game. The expansion is really interesting as well.

It's especially nice in that it works well with 2 players as well as 3 and 4. Not many games work at both 2 and more. And it's not a marathon game in terms of time. A 2 player game is about 90 minutes.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    FkZLf.jpg

• Options
    Race has more theme than Dominion, but less than Chaos in the Old World, let's say.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

The very short version is: "multiplayer solitare" is the baby-talk of RttG. You can play it that way and most people start out doing it that way when they are learning. You will lose - and lose hard - every single time to someone who is actually playing off the other players and not just doing their own solitare thing.

It is a super deep game with tons of replayability and a very long learning curve. There is always more to figure out.

Does it feel theme-y?

I'm an American with American needs

• Options
    edited April 2012

Yeah that's true. If you are new you won't really know what to be searching for or why, so if you are new straight base game is definitely the way to go. But man, as a more experienced player not having an entire military gameplan unravel just because I couldn't get the plus military development at the right time is a god send.

I've never once got a chance to actually play with the conquering planet expansion stuff. Every time people go "oh it's too complicated."

I WANNA TRY IT

one thing that might help with the conquering rules is to just not use any of the counters they give you for tracking military. You don't need em. Everything about the current state of your empire is public and can be calculated at any time. No need for counters and boards and such when you can just look at someones cards and see they have 6 military or whatever.

its not as complicated as it first appears.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Seriously considering going to a Reddit meetup.

• Options

Does it feel theme-y?

I'm an American with American needs

it has excellent artwork. But its also very abstract. You don't really generate a narrative as you play.

There is a java version out there with AI if you google it.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    FkZLf.jpg

I am not able to process this image

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Man, the Obama administration came out against CISPA. Now the Republicans will make sure it gets passed for sure!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    FkZLf.jpg

I am not able to process this image
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6REP8cLZA

• Options
    oh and desc, it's not space-themed but the 2010 version of Civilization (the board game) is really good 4x game. The expansion is really interesting as well.

It's especially nice in that it works well with 2 players as well as 3 and 4. Not many games work at both 2 and more. And it's not a marathon game in terms of time. A 2 player game is about 90 minutes.

Hmm!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

It was used in both rapier and small sword, at least. Though rapier was often paired with an off-hand dagger. To my knowledge small swords were used exclusively by themselves, one handed. There may be other European styles (saber perhaps?) that were single but I haven't done the research. And I know very little technical stuff about non-Western styles.

Almost any cavalry weapon is going to be used one-handed

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Survey Says?

*Ding*

Yes that is in the top 5 last things people say before disappearing suspiciously

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Man, these Skaven models are pretty great. Love the Warlord.

Got plans for these rat ogres. Mad scientist plans. Insert cackle here.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    slashnet offered me mib_cntbag as a random handle :c

• Options
    Men in black cuntbag?

• Options

Hmm!

it also has pretty bits:

pic844769_md.jpg

They did a good job of keeping the four different methods of victory (military, science, economic, culture) competetive. In the base game you can argue that economic has a slight advantage and culture a disadvantage but it's pretty small (Romans can rock culture for example). And the expansion beefed up culture quite a bit.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Oh my god I just visualized C&C: A rethemed for a space fleet

Or Westeros, with flagships taking the place of leaders

Oh man

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »

Survey Says?

*Ding*

Yes that is in the top 5 last things people say before disappearing suspiciously

Yeah there probably would be a great amount of date rapists there.

• Options
    MONEYS NOT AN OBJECT

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Money is speech

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.