As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Jack Spicer was incredible. One of the great American poets.

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/19744

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Yeeeeeeesh. It would be in the best interests of the government to settle with him.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    poetry

really eddy

really?

he doesnt even cite his sources

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Sticking knives ups what???

YOU FREAKIN' READ RIGHT.

My legs closed instantaneously when I finished that story.

Delta of Venus is like...on a whack ass level of erotica.

What a surprise that someone who wants to write about sex to make other people horny has issues to deal with.

Apparently those were written on commission as well? Think about the person who requested those!

Free market capitalism will decide what's appropriate and what's not!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Yeeeeeeesh. It would be in the best interests of the government to settle with him.

Not to mention line up some suitable human sacrifices

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i love the bag of meth

they were like fuck it lets just toss some meth in there to keep his spirits up

That's the part that makes me giggle the most. Especially when they make note of their "usual high standards"... Just leaving meth chilling in holding cells (why would it ever be in a HOLDING CELL in the first place) Forgetting you locked people up.... apparantly not even giving the building a walk through for 4 whole days....

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    That Adam Jensen playing Deus EX video is awesome.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I used to be really into the Beats but then I realized Henry Miller did everything better and was probably cooler to hang even though he was an asshole.

I will fight you

Kerouac was an alcoholic with an ear for jazz.

Burroughs scares me. That is all.

Corso was a moron, but wrote a few decent poems.

Ginsberg is probably the most talented of the group, but, having read his complete works, is really inconsistent.

Henry Miller spent most of his life writing the same book (as did Kerouac), but he only got better. You ever read Big Sur, or some of Ginsberg's later stuff? Rubbish.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Jack Spicer is amazing. He has some cool theories about poetry, too. Like, that it is received from martians.

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Sticking knives ups what???

YOU FREAKIN' READ RIGHT.

My legs closed instantaneously when I finished that story.

Delta of Venus is like...on a whack ass level of erotica.

What a surprise that someone who wants to write about sex to make other people horny has issues to deal with.

Who, Anais Nin or me? Cause I don't want to write about sex and I think not wanting knives up my hoo-haa is not an issue I need to deal with. I think that's an acceptable "issue".

Uhhh why would you think I'm talking about you.

Of course I'm talking about Anais Nin.

Your sentence confused me >: o

and yeah, I mean the chick fucked her dad. I try not to judge but....dude that's your dad.

It's hard to believe that shit comes naturally for some people.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    burroughs actually came up a scientific context recently

he was cured of his opiate addiction by the use of apomorphine by dr j.y. dent and was then convinced that the drug companies and DE GUVERMINT had suppressed the treatment because apomorphine wasnt patentable

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I thought up a punchline: "It's all fun and games until someone loses an Aye."

Now I need to think up a political joke regarding legislation on carnivals.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I think the ad is supposed to vaguely reference yoda in the "power to you" tagline.

Why the fuck they wouldn't use the word "force" somehow though makes no fucking sense.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Not to mention line up some suitable human sacrifices

That to. Someone should lose their job.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    i love the bag of meth

That's the part that makes me giggle the most. Especially when they make note of their "usual high standards"... Just leaving meth chilling in holding cells (why would it ever be in a HOLDING CELL in the first place) Forgetting you locked people up.... apparantly not even giving the building a walk through for 4 whole days....

The worst part is that this is a thing that happens.

Not the meth. That's a new level of bizarre.

But forgetting about people in solitary? Yeah, it happens.

he was cured of his opiate addiction by the use of apomorphine by dr j.y. dent and was then convinced that the drug companies and DE GUVERMINT had suppressed the treatment because apomorphine wasnt patentable

Interesting.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I used to be really into the Beats but then I realized Henry Miller did everything better and was probably cooler to hang even though he was an asshole.

I will fight you

Ginsberg is probably the most talented of the group, but, having read his complete works, is really inconsistent.

Henry Miller spent most of his life writing the same book (as did Kerouac), but he only got better. You ever read Big Sur, or some of Ginsberg's later stuff? Rubbish.

What about O'Hara? Ferlenghetti? Creeley?

You have terrible opinions, and Kerouac would sadface at being lumped in with poets. :-)

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    i love the bag of meth

Interesting.

He will not have to work anymore. At least for a little while.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i love the bag of meth

Holy shit.

Leave an alarm on your phone for Christ's sake.

Winky on
  • Options

I will fight you

You have terrible opinions, and Kerouac would sadface at being lumped in with poets. :-)

None of those three are Beats.

Frank O'Hara is a New York School poet.

Ferlinghetti rejected the term. Maybe he is, I guess.

Robert Creeley was part of the Black Mountain School of poets.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    tier lists are a blight

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    This is my grandma's favorite commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbPqjZw1pvE&feature=related

Makes her laugh every time.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Apparently there is no way to determine from Virgin's website when my contract is up for renewal.

I have old bills in my inbox from October 2010, and they sent me paper bills before that, so I must be due a new phone soonish if not already.

Hmmm.

• Options

I will fight you

I suppose you're right - I hear "the beats" and I think "postmoderns" but that's lazy on my part.

• Options
    feral have you not heard about apomorphine treatment for alcoholism?

dent claimed 60-70% 5 year abstinence based on one roughly one-week treatment

and more interestingly, it didnt work by aversion...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I will fight you

I suppose you're right - I hear "the beats" and I think "postmoderns" but that's lazy on my part.

If it's postmodernism we're talking about, I'm a fan. Whatever it means.

Samuel Beckett is a lot of fun. Lyn Hejinian, also cool.

Ron Silliman can fuck off.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Frank O'Hara is great, but he wasn't a Beat at all. Obviously influenced by them, but he basically constructed the entire first wave new york school from that semi-ironic personism manifesto

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Alright, got it all set up: http://epichug.tumblr.com/

I thought it was an amusing/unique enough theme that could lead to some interesting shared stuff.

So again, we got a Tumblr thread? I want to start adding anyone here who takes part in this new shitty fad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT2hcjkHLqQ

This is getting added, thanks a bunch.

I'm glad I went through with this. Looking at the first page submissions is enough to get me smiling.

• Options
    I should give On the Road to my daugher and watch her mind explode. She'd love that book so much.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    i love the bag of meth

Holy shit.

Leave an alarm on your phone for Christ's sake.

http://rt.com/usa/news/solitary-county-slevin-mexico-921/

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Not-charged-transient-spends-3-months-in-jail-1265990.php

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2009/oct/28/us-odd-forgotten-jail-102809/?ap

etc etc etc

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    Frank O'Hara is great, but he wasn't a Beat at all. Obviously influenced by them, but he basically constructed the entire first wave new york school from that semi-ironic personism manifesto

Yep. Just for chat, I'll post one of his lesser known poems, about his friend John Ashbery, whom he had nicknamed Ashes.

Ashes on Saturday Afternoon

The banal machines are exposing themselves
    on nearby hillocks of arrested color: why
    if we are the anthropologists canopé
    should this upset the autumn afternoon?

It is because you are silent. Speak, if
    speech is not embarrassed by your attention
    to the scenery! in languages more livid than
    vomit on Sunday after wafer and prayer.

What is the poet for, if not to scream
    himself into a hernia of admiration for all
    paradoxical integuments: the kiss, the
    bomb, cathedrals and the zeppelin anchored

to the hill of dreams? Oh be not silent
    on this distressing holiday whose week
    has been a chute of sand down which no
    factories or castles tumbled: only my

petulant two-fisted heart. You, dear poet,
    who addressed yourself to flowers, Electra,
    and photographs on less painful occasions,
    must save me from the void's eternal noise.

• Options

How can you like Hejinian and not Silliman?!? Silliman and Bernstein basically birthed Hejinian's style.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    this is quite a good account of burroughs relationship with apomorphine and his attempts to get it used more widely, although it omits a lot of relevant information

http://realitystudio.org/bibliographic-bunker/apo-33/speed-apomorphine-mimeo-and-the-cut-up/

although later on it descends into plain bullshit so ignore the obvious literary analysis shit

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    feral have you not heard about apomorphine treatment for alcoholism?

dent claimed 60-70% 5 year abstinence based on one roughly one-week treatment

and more interestingly, it didnt work by aversion...

I have, I just didn't know that Burroughs was on it.

Naltrexone doesn't work by aversion either.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Elldren wrote: »
    tier lists are a blight

Submit a competing paper in a peer-reviewed videogame journal if you think that!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Ugh hated On The Road

it was a masturbatory piece of hero worship of an antisocial lunatic

• Options

How can you like Hejinian and not Silliman?!? Silliman and Bernstein basically birthed Hejinian's style.

Ron Silliman is boring. Have you ever read the Age of Huts? It's clear he is using an equation to write, but the way he processes language is not as interesting to me.

I've only read Girly Man by Charles Bernstein.

Although, I think he's in some old issues of Telephone magazine that Maureen Owen gave to me.

• Options

Yep. Just for chat, I'll post one of his lesser known poems, about his friend John Ashbery, whom he had nicknamed Ashes.

The last line is like the last blow of a hammer on the nail he's pounding. So satisfying.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    theyre utterly unrelated though

naltrexone just inhibits highs while you take it, putatively apomorphine corrects dopaminergic dysfunction permanently(though fuck knows how)

and also worth noting that apomorphine was traditionally used as an aversive agent (and indeed still is), so the confusion is incredibly common - indeed the man who treated burroughs was convinced it was an aversion treatment for most of the time he used it until the end of his life

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    My poetry gland must be broken.

• Options

The last line is like the last blow of a hammer on the nail he's pounding. So satisfying.

I know! This is one of my favorite O'Hara poems. He's clearly writing it in imitation of Ashbery, in my opinion. Too bad like no one ever talks about it. It was written around 1952, I think.

O'Hara's collected works are a mess. They don't go in any particular order, which means lots of awful shit is next to lots of brilliant shit.

This discussion has been closed.