As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Memberlist Improvements

SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
This'll be way down on your list of priorities but I thought I might suggest a few improvements to the memberlist.

Now that there are several thousand members it might be useful if there was some way of refining the list.

For starters, if you sort alphabetically - or by any category for that matter - you still have to rake through pages and pages to get to the right letter. Imagine, for example, that I wanted to see a list of members whose names start with M. Now I know if I sort alphabetically, that the M's will probably be somewhere near the middle of the list. So I sort alphabetically and then I need to somehow jump to the center. I can use the page advance numbers down at the bottom but for a list of 300-odd pages I can only advance three pages at a time, which means it'll take a long time to get to the middle of the list. And I don't even know if that is even where the M's will be - if there are a disproportionately large number of members whose names start with letters in the first half of the alphabet then the M's might actually be much nearer the end of the list - 3/4 of the way through, say.

So, the good old A-Z indexing to jump to the first name of each letter of the alphabet would be useful for starters. You could also make indexes that let you, for example, list by join date and then jump to the first member who joined after 1st May 2003 or whatever.

It would also be useful to have filter keywords for each category, so, for example, if you list by location, you could enter New York as a filter and it would just list all the members who claim to be located in New York. You could also use this to filter for everybody who joined on a specific year or month for example or as a wild card for all users whose name contain Pix or whatever.

Being able to list all Mods and deputies and Admins whether online or off at a glance might be useful too. I know you can check the Mods for each forum fairly easily, but a catch-all list of mods in the memberlist would seem sensible in terms of functionality.

Szechuanosaurus on

• Options
    Johnny SmashJohnny Smash Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2004
    You can change the number in the address bar to jump further into the list, so you don't have to go three pages at a time. I think each page is 50 higher than the last, in the number. (edit: the number doesn't show up right on the memberlist page, you have to click a page number. then the number will be at the end of the address)

You can also search for posts by a certain user, which'll work unless you're looking for a user that hasn't posted recently.

It's a good idea, just telling you some alternate things you can do

Johnny Smash on
    cFhq9lX.jpg
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    The memberlist is one of those things I have needed to fix for a long time. Unfortunatly I have way to much on my plate right now. If I find an easy MOD to use, I might install it, but if I have to hand code things, it might be a while.

Älphämönkëy on