As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Company of Heroes] scratching Helmut's new paint job (Mediterranean Front confirmed)

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    The new factions look super sexy. Very tempted to bite the bullet.

The german faction finally gets tank traps and buildable bunkers. Thank god.

I'll wait for a sale though.

EDIT: they did allow the ability to search for custom games though. You can't name them. So we are still steps behind CoH1.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    A shift in policy may be under way for Commanders and DLC for Company of Heroes 2.

Several "Premium" commanders were available in the Alpha. You couldn't buy them as it was an Alpha. Instead they would drop as a "post game reward" after you played a match. They were part of the new "War Spoils" system that Relic has made where you get items after battles. Pretty basic stuff.

I had assumed that they would be available for purchase for those who didn't want to wait for the commander to drop.

A relic employee stated otherwise recently though:
    Items won in War Spoils are not timed. We are currently not selling any Commanders for the new WFAs.

It's pretty interesting. These commanders are drop only and thus have to be earned through gameplay only.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Having a good time with the new German faction: The mobile MG42 (Kubelwagen) is fun to play with (insta-suppression!) It might get nerfed down the line though.
    Also, a fun TychoTip®
    Relic.png

I haven't found a good use for the Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher, its aim is horrible; while the Infantry Support Gun can be devastating.

Prisca on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Nice to see some positive discussion in this thread. I was expecting...something else, but hey who cares about that.

Loving the game as it is now. Was in the WFA alpha / beta test and had a ton of fun with the new factions.

Great cast as always Tycho. *thumbs up*

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    This game's like ten bucks on the Steam Sale right now. This includes all of those pay to win commanders! I might actually pick some of these up for 75 cents...

I also published this guide thing for playing US on a fansite. It's all of my long-windedness now it one convenient location!

The expansion's a blast! I've not had this much fun playing 1v1s. 1v1s are still exhausting and some of my vent crew seems to have cooled on the game/got busy.

Testing my strategies for these guides takes it out of me though...

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    anyone unlock any cool victory strikes. I got the rail road artillery..... admittedly everything else just seem a little less spectacular compared to it.

the changes they made are interesting. It's much more vehicle and combat heavy in the mid game.

• Options
    edited June 2014

Great casts! I've missed your sporadic casting style.

I noticed some inaccuracies but I didn't really track them so I forgot most of them.
    • You say that the Vet 3 vehicle crews are an armored company thing but the reality is that crews just have the worlds shallowest experience levels. Like, killing one dude levels them up a vet. So if the vehicle they are in does anything meaningful before they get out then they've pretty much hit vet 3 automatically. The Armored Company thing allows you to give them Thompsons for 90 munitions which turns them into a fragile but sort of scary close-quarters troop.
    • There's no Jumbo Sherman in the game. I think you were thinking of the Sherman "Easy Eight" but that's just a fancier Sherman. No heavy armor for US ever.
    • The Major thing is a retreat point. It's like the Captain from the British. Lets you retreat back to him or the base HQ: whichever it closer.

Oh! My Oberkommando West build guide is up. Stare into it and it will stare back.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Well, they're certainly patching things quite a bit. I think this is the second since launch? Wonder if they've got rid of the SS logo from winter volksgrenadiers while they were at it. Edit: Seems that they did.

I like how they've possibly done away with paid commanders by having them as random 'loot' after matches though, even if they badly need to up the drop rate from "virtually never".

altid on
  • Options
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So this game is finally good now?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    It's about how it has always been.

• Options
    There's the pessimism we know and love.

I feel the game has improved significantly since launch, but I am in the minority.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    There's the pessimism we know and love.

Yeah, I was starting to think something had gone terribly right and there'd be nothing to bitch about.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I'm all for constructive criticism but I've also reached a point where I don't want to waste my time bitching about games anymore.

It's pretty simple for me, either the game is good enough that I'm having fun and I play it, or it isn't and I don't. At this point, CoH2 is fun times IMO so I'm happy.

• Options
    edited June 2014

Burning with those questions.

- The crosshair over the Jagdpanzer is the Command Tank's Aura. It has a huge aura radius so it was getting the Jagdpanzer when it was coming onto the map. The increased mobility might have saved its life!
    - The Blessing of Zeus over the Captain is the Vet 3 ability which is "Out of Combat Perma-Sprint". All officers who get vet 3 will sprint if they are not fighting. So it is really the blessing of Hermes the Messenger god but Relic fucked up their greek mythology.
    - Sherman Radio Net is a vet ... 1? Vet2 power for Shermans. Just just need allied armor near them and they get stronger.

My advice with this esoteric bullshit is not to look at the ... unit card? The button things? You can look there too but try looking over the portrait for a tiny buff icon and scroll over that. Those tooltips are even more inaccurate sometimes but at least you'll get a vague idea. Both the Captain and the Jagdpazer had these little buff boxes.

... also you're totes right about 240mm Armored Artillery. You were probably referring to that specific one but man that barrage is bad.

On the teching of players: I think Barton did what he had to do to zone out the AA Half-track. That thing is scary. I'm going into a 1v1 tournament and might deviate from my build to do as he does as well. I dunno yet. Life is hard.

As for Once_Over the guy really likes M3 AT mines. They're stupid though and do like hundreds of damage. Like half of that Panther's life bar went away when it hit it. I think he could stand to get a bit more aggressive with his mine usage but the mine is incredible so he burns munitions that way. Thats why he got the M20 Utility Car. It's funny to see him get bit in the ass by how much he spams those mines.

What struck me as odd and has in the past with OnceOver that he got a Major. In my opinion you should just ignore the Major forever if you're Armored Company.

You have the Bulldozer Sherman which is great for anti-infantry. You have the M10 Tank Destroyer which is as good as a Jackson but has less range. That's a super close range map so range barely matters. Why get the Major and waste 90 fuel? The Major unlocks the Sherman which is basically an anti-infantry tank like the Bulldozer. It unlocks the Jackson which is basically an M10 but slightly better and much more expensive. It unlocks the M8A1 which is unique but I have never seen Once_Over use one.

He could have gotten an army of a pair of Bulldozers and a pair of M10s the fuel he invested in Major and two tanks. That army would have performed better and hit the field faster.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I shouted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exoWby6QzIo

...then someone casted it! Thanks ComputerHeat!

These are pretty fun.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    As a compstomper with little interest in extreme competitiveness I do think that patch is a good one. Digging the moderately buffed panther and enhanced targeting option on at guns where they only target tanks not infantry.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Wrong thread. On another note I did buy the expansion on a sale recently and am about to try out some CoH 2 again!

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    @Kinderparty‌

I see you playing CoH with Day9, lucky bastard.

for anyone who wants to spectate

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    @Kinderparty‌

I see you playing CoH with Day9, lucky bastard.

for anyone who wants to spectate

hahahaha. i briefly resurrected my long dead COH career.

felt great after not having played in literally years. such an awesome, amazing game.

• Options
    Checking out the vods of that is making me so nostalgic for COH1. So great.

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Checking out the vods of that is making me so nostalgic for COH1. So great.

truly one of a kind. i never tried COH2, but i just couldn't get behind the new commander system. i loved it so much in coh1.

• Options
    Holy crap Day9 is bad at CoH. Not saying that to be mean, but he just seems to have no grasp of basic infantry tactics. Machine gun supress,

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I've being getting into this lately. Really enjoying the general feel of the game. Same sort of tactics and lethality you get in Men of War but without the jank/direct control system which makes playing with pubs more frustrating than fun.

Main complaint is really that the game feels decently weighted towards the German factions. Especially in ease of play. OBW in particular feel like the strongest faction and are also simple to play compared to the other three.

• Options
    Funny, I'd argue it goes the other way for 2v2. Playing as Ostheer/Whermacht/whatever it's called now, I find I'm very vulnerable due to small squad sizes which very often get wiped out in one shot by whatever the allies have, and having to rely on very static defensive lines due to the rather ineffective MG42. It does get better if you can get tanks out, but even then soviet call ins in particular are utterly devastating.

I'll agree though that the kubelwagen? from the OKW is pretty bullshit at the minute.

• Options
    It's pretty well accepted that team games are playgrounds for the German factions.

There were some pretty ridiculous statistics rolling around where the top 200 3v3 and 4v4 players for OKW had a 90% win ratio over the last like monthish.

Of course that was before the recent Kubelwagon + Munitions income change but I doubt those two changes in tandem rolled back such an extreme advantage. I'd have a better grasp on this if my graphics card hadn't melted and I had lost my ability to play the game.
    I'll agree though that the kubelwagen? from the OKW is pretty bullshit at the minute.

You think it is still broken after the partial revert a patch ago? I am curious.

• Options
    I do feel like the Panther is still too good for it's cost, unless that has changed recently. I haven't played in a month or so.

• Options
    It's pretty well accepted that team games are playgrounds for the German factions.

There were some pretty ridiculous statistics rolling around where the top 200 3v3 and 4v4 players for OKW had a 90% win ratio over the last like monthish.

Of course that was before the recent Kubelwagon + Munitions income change but I doubt those two changes in tandem rolled back such an extreme advantage. I'd have a better grasp on this if my graphics card hadn't melted and I had lost my ability to play the game.

You think it is still broken after the partial revert a patch ago? I am curious.

I think the big thing that made the Kubel super good wasn't really any of the stats changes but the shift from an MG-42 wide cone to the Maxim's long cone of fire. It makes it way easier to kite squads at the edge of it's firing range and never be at a significant risk of taking an AT grenade from either faction.

They're pretty manageable if you go Penal's/M3 scout cars as the Russians (though you still need to be able to flank them to out DPS them) but for America they're an utter nightmare to deal with.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Hmm, I might have missed the revert. Last time I played as soviet though it was pretty hard to do much about it early on. Will have to try the penals/scout car method though.

I consider team games to mean 3v3 and 4v4 btw, it's those modes where resources go past a critical point for the german factions.

As for the panther, it got better, but in my experience isn't worth the bother as wehrmacht unless you have a really strong starting position, and even then I only use it because I like the look of it. It isn't that the panther itself is bad, more that it takes ages and a ton of fuel to tech to T4 before you can even think of getting one. On top of that the rest of the T4 units are a bit average compared to T3, or better still just calling in a tiger.

altid on
  • Options
    The issue with Penal/Scout car is unless you get fuck tons of stuff off of it you're likely putting yourself behind on the fuel race as you'll need to pick up the weapon team building to get AT to deal with Puma's or rushed Luch's if they pull that out.

• Options
    I remember playing team games early on in CoH2's lifespan where panthers would 1 shot my AT guns, wipe the floor with SU-85s and laugh as my AT gun shells bounced off their side armor. I had 2 panthers walk through 4 AT guns and 2 SU85s in a team game like they weren't even there. :/

I guess it's not that bad anymore.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    I feel that the balance for 1v1s is on the whole pretty good at the moment. admittedly I'm not a pro or anything .

I do feel that some of the doctrines are tremendously underpowered. The Americans also seem to have a tough time late game.

did relic take out the free commander rotation btw?

• Options
    I do kinda wish they'd patch in having commander call ins require a certain level of tech built up.

The whole saving all your fuel till you can spam your call in tank thing feels really cheesy and like it removes a decent chunk of your early/midgame decisions.