As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Wow. A GIS for "Keep Calm and Roll On" shows just how insanely overdone that meme is.

Also, Godfather that is one of the scariest things I've ever heard. I sincerely hope there's something the doctors can do for your sister.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    What is a GIS?

Also, it's my birthdayayayay

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    GIS = Google Image Search. I had to think about it for a few minutes too.

Happy birthday, Nibbles!

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Happy birthday! May birthdays are the best birthdays.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Happy birthday!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Dunno if new guy is gonna be around too much longer.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Nic wrote: »
    Heh, well the fact that it's been done almost word for word before doesn't really change my point about mustang's criticism, but maybe I just misinterpreted him. My thing is that if you don't like the way someone's done something, make a suggestion, otherwise your post only serves to either confuse or discourage someone who's looking for feedback they can use.

I'm certainly not going to put words in anyone else's mouth for them so I can't speak for what Mustang's intentions were. I think your constructive criticism approach is great. However, the guy wasn't exactly doing inspiring work here. He made a meme poster for a meme that actually passed its prime some time ago. If you want to make suggestions about using scroll textures or anything else, that's great. I don't really think Mustang's comment was out of line. He was being honest about a design that somebody posted up. I don't think there are a whole lot of ways to make it any better. It's a direct lift of the poster design just slightly modified. In essence that's the way it's meant to look. That's the way the design works. Some British guy came up with it during WWII.

• Options

Which new guy?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Aw man. Godfather, I'll pray for your sis' health. If you're not into that, I'll just send over some positive fluids. Hope that she gets better!
    Sorry Nibs, but she needs all the positive fluids, so just a happy birthday to you.

Also: which thread would be best to post a www design for critique?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Grifter wrote: »
    I'm certainly not going to put words in anyone else's mouth for them so I can't speak for what Mustang's intentions were. I think your constructive criticism approach is great. However, the guy wasn't exactly doing inspiring work here. He made a meme poster for a meme that actually passed its prime some time ago. If you want to make suggestions about using scroll textures or anything else, that's great. I don't really think Mustang's comment was out of line. He was being honest about a design that somebody posted up. I don't think there are a whole lot of ways to make it any better. It's a direct lift of the poster design just slightly modified. In essence that's the way it's meant to look. That's the way the design works. Some British guy came up with it during WWII.

Yeah, I think you're right, thinking about it I don't think he was out of line. I disagree with the way it was presented, but that's on me.

I agree with the criticism that the design is overdone, but that's not really helpful on its own. You're basically saying 'oh, that's so passé' without offering anything in the way of changes. It discourages any further idea building. Why not steer the guy onto what you might think is better?
    You can say that the idea is bad and still tell them to try something new.
    "Yo Dawg I herd u like overplayed memes, instead why not take the D&D theme and apply it to other types of war propaganda."
    "That's a bit dated, try something else"
    "There are better, lesser used poster memes out there, or you could try something original"
    "Literally anything other than 'it smacks of "me too."'"

There are ways of sounding like a condescending silly goose that can also be constructive.

Edit: Silly Goose mode engaged.

Nic on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jesus, Godfather
    The best of medical science and all the good fortune in the world to your sister

Tam on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Thanks, guys. It's also Norwegian Independence Day!

Sorry to hear about you sister, Godfather. I'll be praying for her.

• Options

Which new guy?
    eGregious wrote: »
    Photoshop can be acquired through illicit means very easily. An artist as skilled as you should not deprive himself of that tool.

that new guy...

• Options
    Nic wrote: »

Yeah, I think you're right, thinking about it I don't think he was out of line. I disagree with the way it was presented, but that's on me.

I agree with the criticism that the design is overdone, but that's not really helpful on its own. You're basically saying 'oh, that's so passé' without offering anything in the way of changes. It discourages any further idea building. Why not steer the guy onto what you might think is better?
    You can say that the idea is bad and still tell them to try something new.
    "Yo Dawg I herd u like overplayed memes, instead why not take the D&D theme and apply it to other types of war propaganda."
    "That's a bit dated, try something else"
    "There are better, lesser used poster memes out there, or you could try something original"
    "Literally anything other than 'it smacks of "me too."'"

There are ways of sounding like a condescending silly goose that can also be constructive.

Edit: Silly Goose mode engaged.

Fair enough on the approach. Try not to get your nose out of joint over that stuff when you're on an internet forum. While we generally encourage people to not be a silly goose, it doesn't mean that people are required to make posts from the mouths of angels, so to speak.

Also, I really don't care about some guy who has only made three threads since 2010, one of which was an introductory thread promoting his Deviantart page. I'm not losing any sleep if his feelings get hurt.

• Options
    Yeah I've come to the conclusion that I've had too much internet lately, I took a brief walk and feel better about the universe and all of its inhabitants. Now I am going for a bike ride for good measure.
    Mustang, if you read my comments, sorry for taking your criticisms of other peoples' stuff too seriously.

Oy.

• Options
    What kills me about that Keep Calm dude is that he's actually a pretty good artist from what I saw on his DA.

Why he would come back here two years later just to promote that design over his other stuff is beyond me.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Thats okay, I was probably was a bit harsh with that guy. I just really hate the meme. Ever since Olly Moss got his Now
    Panic and Freak Out shirt printed, everyone has been jumping on the Keep Calm and Carry On bandwagon, to the point where I just want to punch someone in the face.

I honestly didn't see anyway it could be improved.

Mustang on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I'm back from Paris guys! You totally missed me, I know.
    I had the best surprise at the Pompidou centre: Art Spiegelman Co-mix exhibition!

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Good lord, thanks youre back m3nace, the place was falling appart, the fridge is empty, and theres a pile of bills behind the door... welcome back !

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Good lord, thanks youre back m3nace, the place was falling appart, the fridge is empty, and theres a pile of bills behind the door... welcome back !
    Paris here I come!

• Options
    What art museums did you see?
    I was only there for one full day, I managed to get in to see the Musee d'Orsay for a couple of hours but that all I had time for :(

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Oh, turns out she has a really rare infection. Doctors say it's bad luck.

I am worries :(

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I just met Kazu Kibuishi! Awesommme

And I'm super sorry to hear that, Godfather. ;__; I hope all goes well!

melting_doll on
  • Options
    Hey melting doll, could I commission you for a Get Well card for my little sis? I don't have much money but i'm sure a cutesy card would cheer her up.

• Options
    Absoluuuuuutely!

• Options
    Musee d'Orsay
    Louvre
    Musée de l'Orangerie
    Musée Pompidou
    l'Institut du Monde Arabe

fuck my legs hurt.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Sending good wishes for your sis, Godfather.

• Options
    m3nace wrote: »
    Musee d'Orsay
    Louvre
    Musée de l'Orangerie
    Musée Pompidou

fuck my legs hurt.

*sigh* I wish I'd had more time there.
    Did you see van gogh's siesta and did you want to climb into it and roll around in that hay? That painting completely turned my opinion on post impressionism.

• Options
    Are you guys checking out the live footage of the America's Cup in Venice? It's pretty awesome.

• Options
    Absoluuuuuutely!

What are the prices?

• Options
    PM meee

• Options
    Mustang wrote: »
    m3nace wrote: »
    Musee d'Orsay
    Louvre
    Musée de l'Orangerie
    Musée Pompidou

fuck my legs hurt.

*sigh* I wish I'd had more time there.
    Did you see van gogh's siesta and did you want to climb into it and roll around in that hay? That painting completely turned my opinion on post impressionism.
    If there's one place I'd like to have sexy time, it's in that hay.

• Options
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Options
    Those are some pretty awesome looking environments.

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    hoy crap guys

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Fuuuuckk
    thats awesomeeeee

• Options
    Fuck that looks awesome, is this a thing that is going to become a thing? Or is it just a shits and giggles showcase type thing?

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Mustang wrote: »
    Fuck that looks awesome, is this a thing that is going to become a thing? Or is it just a shits and giggles showcase type thing?

http://kotaku.com/5911594/a-first-look-at-the-kingdoms-of-amalur-studios-new-mmo

This discussion has been closed.