As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

video editing

ptlsbntrptlsbntr Registered User regular
Hello,

I'm looking for help with some video editing. I have a video file that's ridiculously long and I would like to be able to split it up into multiple shorter video files. Is there any decent free software out there that I can use for doing this or any other suggestions as to how I can go about doing this?

Thanks

ptlsbntr on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    VirtualDub.

• ptlsbntrptlsbntr Registered User regular
    Thanks, I can grasp how that works to clip the source vid into smaller ones but I'm having an issue with keeping the resulting video files to a reasonable size? I've tried a couple different settings but the lowest I can get the individual video files to is 1.3gb (the source video is only 1gb!), otherwise I'm getting files between 34 and 45gb.

• ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    mpeg streamclip can do this.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Video > Compression > Choose a codec like XviD or x264 or something. If you don't have any codecs installed then download one.