Options

[Game On] Shadowrun 3rd "Just Another Day in Paradise." Chapter 2 "Paradise"

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    You could buy 3 with 30K left over.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Buy 150k worth of something with the highest possible street index

• Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    but that would be cheating :P

anyway so yeah need to add 2 fake id's that leaves me with 70k so I'd have 7k starting cash plus my 3d6*100 roll

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    rucdoc wrote: »
    but that would be cheating :P

anyway so yeah need to add 2 fake id's that leaves me with 70k so I'd have 7k starting cash plus my 3d6*100 roll

It's cheating to assume an operator like your character might be sitting on a payload at the start of the game? You have to make rolls to sell it, it's not a fate accompli like it sounds.

• Options
    why would I want to sell my fake id's, I'm just going by the rules you get 10% of any remaining creation cash as actual cash plus 3d6*100

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    He's suggesting you buy something with high value for the sole purpose of pawning it off when the game starts and trying to bypass the 10% rule.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    nah I'd rather just have the cash and not the possibility of someone trying to kill me later

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Yeah, there'll be enough of them as is.

You could always buy yourself a fancy place to stay. Although I assume you've already bought lifestyle of some description.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    an apartment perma low woo

Edit: crap, knew I forgot something, I need permits for my guns

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Concealable holsters are cheaper.

• Options
    they don't make them for submachine guns that I know of

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Can't get a permit for an SMG anyway, you're going to have to rely on a long coat and not getting in a position where Lone Star wants to pat you down.

• Options
    so note to self, lonestar comes round shoot first pat downs latter.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    Ya I think so rucdoc, they are 40k a piece.

• Options
    so kill people, or I can add 2 really good fake sins to my character and have cash?

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    4-8 more contacts?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    More contacts are always good to have, especially if you can buy them up to a better relationship level. If I have nuyen to spare, I always add a good buddy fixer for to help with running down skills and gear that the team might not have.

• Options
    so your saying I should be the man that knows everyone

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    why would I want to sell my fake id's, I'm just going by the rules you get 10% of any remaining creation cash as actual cash plus 3d6*100

Ah, I missed that somehow. I guess I'll be buying more stuff!

• Options

Ah, I missed that somehow. I guess I'll be buying more stuff!

Yeah, you need to spend your starting money down. It's one reason people like the points system so much - it has more granularity with the money vs build points.

• Options
    I believe its under"lifestyle" in the gear section

That just has the autotanner under general, electronics, entertainment, media, and credsticks. I also don't see foci anywhere.

• Options
    They are in a special area... i think the actual magic tab.

• Options
    Oh sorry, Captain Carrot, Foci information is found on page 189. You need to spend a point of karma to bond you foci to you as well as the cred costs.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    You purchase foci on the magic screen.

• Options
    I have 5/6 character sheets in my mailbox. Almost there. Is anyone having any issues finding the file still? I think I'm about ready o get this game started, how about you guys?

After this post I would appreciate if OOC comments are made inside spoilers to help keep the clutter down. I'll be loading up the character sheets I do have directly after making my next post. If I don't send you a reply assume that everything checks out.

• Options

Tuesday August 13th, 2056. 4pm.

Another balmy afternoon in Seattle. The sun warms the city streets over a thin layer of grey cloud-cover. It smells like rain outside, and smog. Traffic is already bustling soon to overflow. It's about an hour an a half until your meet. Late last night your fixer dropped an encrypted message onto your home videophone terminals. Across the street from the Rusted Tap there is a sex shop called Wish-Fulfillment. Mr Johnson is going to be there in the back room. Go around behind the building and enter from back door in the alley. Everything sounds legit. No information provided on the employer. Naturally. You would be suspicious otherwise, wouldn't you?

Another day, another nuyen. It's time to strap your boots on.
    Decide what, if any, weapons you are bringing to the meet with Mr. Johnson.

• Options
    A sex shop for Mr. Johnson, Rose thinks, giggling slightly to herself. Sounds like I'll want to go simple and low-budget on the wardrobe. Oh, and change my face a bit. She darkens her skin and lightens her hair, pushing her cheekbones in slightly and widening her chin, until her appearance is quite different.
    She doesn't own any weapons—her voice is the biggest gun in her arsenal.

• Options
    Lyov makes his way through the back alleys to the meet. The van was parked a block away, close enough to reach quickly but not so close as to link it to the destination. A sex shop was a bit on the seedy side, but you take what you can when you work the grey areas. Koresh had assured him that this was the one, the job to bring in the cash, the gateway to getting back in the air. It had been too long since he'd flown, and all the cash earned had been reinvested in getting the tools for the jobs. Tools like the Roomsweeper tucked in its holster under his arm, or the modified van. But he was ready now, and further income could go towards getting airborne again.

The ragged, unkempt beard and messy silver grey hair allowed him to blend in fairly easily through the back streets. Just another hobo, winding his way towards his next fix. Bit better dressed though, the long coat wasn't as worn as it would be if he actually lived on the streets. Close enough to keep him inconspicuous.
    Taking the Roomsweeper in a concealable holster under the long jacket. Base concealability 6, +2 for the holster and +50% for the coat brings it to a base concealability of 12.

• Options
    Squirrel strapped both his pistols to his hips, slung his sub machine gun across his chest then put his armored long coat on. It may be hot in the city, but it's never too hot to not die. On his way out he also grabbed one of his fake IDs. and headed for the stairs. three flights down and out onto the stoop. Alice was sitting there, she was one of the local street kids. He smiled at her, "Hey Alice, keep an eye on the place for me will ya." he said as he got on his scorpion and rode off towards the meet location.
    taking both colt american L36's in concealable holsters, and his mp7, with 2 extra clips of normal ammo for the pistols and 1 of explosive for the mp7. also under the long coat. sadly there was no option for a hat, or he'd be wearing one of the those too.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    And here is where everyone learns that letting me write introduction posts for my characters is sometimes a scary thing. :D

Also, writing this made me realize, I forgot one vital bit of gear. illgottengains, what would you say the cost of a cyberdeck case is - just the exterior casing, no actual electronics inside?

---

Mao had been staring at his last 11 nuyen, wondering if it'd be worth taking down the back rooms beneath the mahjong parlor to try and turn into something a little larger at the fan-tan tables. They wouldn't turn him away even if he threw in with that little, the house dealers always smiling a little wider when he bought into a game - the reason they called him yeh fu pai <gambles with anyone> behind his back and why he only had 11 nuyen before him being one and the same.

The chime of the vidphone and the lit telltale alerting him he'd just gotten a message interrupted him just before he made his decision. She had a line on a job for him, a Johnson calling in independent runners for a highly unspecified run. It sounded suspicious but she assured him that everything checked out on her end, and she hadn't lead him wrong before, and if she hadn't caught him just then, the chances of his 11 nuyen turning into 0 over the next hour or so... Lucky timing he thought, pocketing the specie to save until after the run was done, for luck.

---

The problem with having to get places in Seattle was that it was fucking hard to get to a meet in a timely manner when you had to take the bus. No one looked badass stepping off mass transit, no matter how ace their duds, or how black the shades they wore at night, and since he was in his running clothes, they were more than a bit creased around the cuff. For some reason, he just never managed to have the kind of funds on hand that let him wear his good clothes to places they might get bullet holes in them. He got to the right neighborhood a few hours before the scheduled time, and ducked into the Rusty Tap to pass the time and keep an eye on the shop across the street, in case an Aztech heavy hit team tried setting up an ambush for the schedule meet time.

Under ordinary circumstances, that would've meant spending some of his lucky last 11 nuyen on drinks, but the bartender was a friend of a friend that he'd done a solid for a couple months back, when a devil rat pack had tried to setup a nest in one of the bathroom walls. It was amazing what you could get done with a series of stunballs, an obliging city spirit, and quite a few extra magazines for your handcannon. So he got all the water he could drink, in glass that might've been clean at some point before the Spike, gratis, and no one tried to throw him out.

When the proper time arrived, without any sign of heavily armed hit teams, Aztech or otherwise (which was a little too bad, he thought, because that would've been _interesting_.), he paid his tab and sauntered around to the back of the sex shop. Anyone keeping their eyes open for people heading in that direction would've seen an elf of obvious Chinese extraction, faded black pants, gray full length shirt, beneath a rather bulky longcoat, no weapons in sight, eyes hidden behind wrap around shades. A radiating scar where an ugly wound had been imperfectly treated left him with an appearance akin to whiskers over one cheek. Straight black hair was pulled tightly back into a pony tail that fell halfway down his back, banded once at the back of his head, once in the middle, and again at the bottom. He had a cyberdeck case slung over one shoulder, although if he were a decker, he was remarkably light on the visible chrome or modifications.
    Weaponry: He's got his knife in a sheath inside the longcoat, and the Predator in the cyberdeck case, and the story behind that ties into where he got his scar. When he started his shadowrun career, he totally bought into the image of a badass combat mage, kohl around the eyes, woad along the cheekbones, wild hair, fetishes and foci woven in, hands sparking with power, spirits whipping the air around him, maybe even a little levitation with a bad ass leather duster billowing behind him... until that moment still pretty early in his running life when right of the middle of all that magnificently badass showmanship, he'd heard the deep baritone of a troll shouting, 'Geek the mage!'

And then Mao got shot in the face.

The last thing he remembered hearing as his vision was going from all-red to all-black was someone saying, 'Dumbass. Know why no one shouts, 'gib the decker!'

He had a lot of time to ponder that statement while a triad doctor, who'd been a half senile old geezer back when Confucius sprouted his first whiskers, sewed his face back together, and apparently couldn't decide whether or not he wanted Mao auditioning for the lead in the 2062 revival of Phantom. He _couldn't_ think of a single time he'd ever heard of the decker being target numero uno - not when you had a troll with razor spurs sprouting from his ankles, wrists, and crotch coming at you doing his best impression of a blender, or some dumbass elf bending over to shoot lightning bolts at you from his arse.

It amazed him that it took so long to realize that doing the latter might actually have negative repercussions on your long term breathing ability. No more arse electricity for him, no more dressing in a way that shouted, 'guess who CAN'T bounce bullets off a titanium-laced skull!' Dressing down was easy enough, and actually carrying what looked like a cyber deck (also made a useful carryall for various bits of weaponry, gear, and other miscellaneous items) was the pièce de résistance, at least until he started tossing around fireballs and conjuring up spirits, but ever since then he'd had a 100% success rate for NOT being shot in the face, and you couldn't argue with results like that, could you?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I will go with nothing but my steeled toed boots and jacket. This is not the roughest sex shop I've been in today.
    edit: also pants and a shirt, i guess. Tracksuit maybe? Yes. Tracksuit.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Raven smiled as she wove in between traffic on her Yamaha Rapier. A sex shop, huh? Kinky. Her long black hair trailed out behind from under her helmet, interwoven with purple highlights. Thigh high, stiletto boots worked the clutch and a miniskirt and armoured corset top rounded out her outfit for the night. Despite the summer heat, she wore a chic armored leather long coat that lent an air of class to her outfit and a measure of protection against the violent streets.

Parking and securing her bike a short block away from the shop, Raven slings a slender case containing her cyberdeck over her shoulder and straping a holstered Predator II to her right thigh. She struts her way down the walk towards the shop and around back. Walking into the meeting at exactly the right time.
    Raven will roll with her her pistol holstered under her coat.

Character Concept/Stats
    Diana Raven-Sakamoto. Half Salish-half Japanese. Employed by Renraku's "HR department" as a corporate counter-espionage agent. Mostly working to keep tabs on dissatisfied employees to find out if they were doing anything unsavory; Leaking corporate secrets, thinking of defecting, foiling extractions, etc. Being an exotic, beautiful woman she was able to get her, mostly male, targets to confide thier secrets to her. She is also well versed in corporate security systems and all things Matrix. Many were the times when Diana was required to hack her way into secure files or through a safe in someones apartment. Her cyberware is geared towards eavesdropping, surveillance and the recording of evidence to be later used in a disciplinary hearing. Diana also cross trained with the more active security departments and knows her way around firearms and martial arts.

Diana's Japanese mother has always been a Renraku employee, who briefly was married to a Salish tribesman. He dissapeared when Diana was 12 years old. Diana always suspected that her father, a rigger helicopter pilot, had had enough of city life and fled back to native lands. Her mother refused to talk about him.

While out on the job at Club Penumbra, wining and dining a former software engineer who was thinking of jumping to a competitorshe met an Orc combat decker and shadowrunner named Nelson. What followed was a passionate, exciting and sometimes violent 6 month affair. Life in the Shadows was incredibly exciting and her everyday corporate existence paled in comparison. Maintaining her permanent quarters at the Arcology, Diana took a leave of absence from Renraku and is now putting her skills to use in the Shadows. She now goes by the street name of Raven (after her fathers totem) and takes jobs as they come. She operates out of a flat downtown, crammed full of electronics and computer gear, and looks damn good zipping around town on her Rapier.

ariacloseup.jpg
    Raven - Decker/Security Specialist

Bod: 3
    Qck: 5 Essence: 3.88
    Str: 3 Reaction: 5
    Cha: 4 Initiative: 1d6
    Int: 6
    Wil: 3

Combat Pool: 7
    Hacking Pool:

Active Skills
    Pistols 4
    SMG 4
    Unarmed/Martial Arts 2/4
    Stealth 2
    Etiquette/Matrix 3/5
    Negotiation 3
    Computer/Decking 5/7
    Electronics 6
    Bike 2
    Computer B/R 3
    Electronics B/R 3

Knowledge Skills
    Security Procedures/Renraku 4/6
    Shadowrunner Haunts 4
    Data Havens 4
    Jackpoint Locations 4
    Fashion 5
    Greater Seattle 3
    Seattle Matrix 3
    English/Deckerese 4/6
    English R/W 2
    Japansese 2
    Japansese R/W 1
    Salish 2
    Salish R/W 1

Cyberware (all Alphaware)
    Ears
    - Dameners
    - Hearing Amp.
    - Recorder
    - Sound Filter(2)
    Eyes
    - Camera
    - Display Link
    - Image Link
    - Opticam
    - Cosmetics
    2 Datajacks
    Headware Memory (150mp)
    Smartlink

Gear
    Fairlight Exacilbur Cyberdeck
    Ares Predator II w/5 extra clips
    HK MP-7 SL2 w/ 5 extra clips
    Secure Clothing (Ballistic 3, Impact 0)
    Secure Long Coat (Ballistic 4, Impact 2)
    Electronics Toolkit
    Computer Toolkit
    Computer Shop
    Electronics Shop
    Docwagon Gold Service
    Oodles of Tres Chic Clothing
    Pocket Secretary
    Cell Phone
    Yamaha Rapier Motorcycle
    2 sets Fake SIN's.

Contacts:
    Nelson - Ork Combat Decker - Former Flame. Introduction into Shadowlife. Passionate relationship, combabtive.

Mr. Sato - Mr. J @ Renraki - Sato is a colleague of Raven's. He knows the truth behind her leave of absence and thinks having a Shadowrunner in his rolodex can only lead to promorion

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Jotun heads to the meet early. It's near his home, so he walks. He enjoys the bad neighborhoods where he blends, but he enjoys the good neighborhoods more, waving cheerfully at people who cross the street to avoid him. When he gets to the seamy street that houses the meet, he walks around the block once, then ducks into the shop. He shops "discretely" for a few minutes, noting the layout of the front and startling two slumming coeds who are giggling at a monstrous "Neil the Ork Barbarian" sex toy by offering them "autograph of model for toy"

One lap of the store complete, he walks across the street to the Rusty Tap and has a few beers while waiting, watching the mouth of the alley through the window.

When the right time rolls around, he heads for the back door, shooting knowing nods to the other hardcases filtering in.

"Two deckers," he thinks, "that's different."

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Tuesday August 13th, 2056. 4:54pm.

The inside of the sex shop storefront is as sleazy as one might imagine. Sex toys changed with the awakening too. Neurosensor aided vibrators and "magically enchanted" lubricants sat in neat rows on the shelves. A portion of the store is dedicated to trideo and sim-sense rental. A man of European descent in his 30's stands behind the cash register. He looks like he forgot to shave yesterday. You get the idea that he's either watching porn or playing some video game on his pocket computer.

Tuesday August 13th, 2056. 5:29pm.

They built so fraggin' tall in Seattle in the last 40 years that the sky-scrappers create an artificially earlier sunset and later sunrise for those that live on or near the streets. It's already getting dark down there. Droplets of rain pit-pat on the concrete. Not quite a shower or a sprinkle, just the odd periodic drop or two.

You turn the corner to the alley leading behind Wish-Fulfillment. Up ahead you scan tall, built human in a tres chic suit. He's opening a door for another person whom you hardly glimpse moving into the building. You move closer, your eyes and ears on full alert, the first hints of adrenaline noted. The door clicks shut and the man steps out in front of it as you approach. He looks you in the eyes, checks his pocket computer, and before you get a chance to say much of anything he has opened the door for you.

Inside you find a glass wall. Thick, bullet-proof stuff. Maybe even a frag grenade wouldn't shatter it. Right now it's a reflective mirror although you get the impression that there is someone on the other side of that glass. A small speaker rests high on the wall to the right. The inside of the room is somewhat brightly lit. There is no furniture but the carpet looks expensive.

Tuesday August 13th, 2056. 5:30pm.

Your team appears to have assembled on time. That's a good start. You scan each runner as they arrive hoping that this wasn't some fragger's first run. Before introductions get underway the mirror goes transparent. There is one man standing on the other side of the glass. He wears his salt and peppered hair and beard neatly trimmed. Octagonal gold-rimmed glasses rest on his nose. Guy looks pretty serious. You hear a voice that you assume belongs to the man quite clearly through the mounted speaker.

"Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. I represent Mr. Matuli. Perhaps you have heard of him, and perhaps not. His business is not our concern today, but it precludes him from bringing this matter to the authorities," he pauses, gauging the party's reactions. Apparently satisfied he continues.

"Last night at an unknown hour Mr. Matuli's daughter, Estelle, disappeared. Mr. Matuli believes that she has been kidnapped, although any ransom notice has not yet been given. You must find Estelle. You will be rewarded handsomely for her return. We believe a group fee of 60,000¥ with a 12,000¥ retainer will suffice. If a ransom notice is given will we contact you through your fixers with further instructions. You should start at her last known location, her room at Mr. Matuli's residence. If you like, we can provide transportation for you, otherwise the address is 6731 Bellevue Lane. That's in Arbor Heights, on Puget Sound. At the gate, when you ring up, tell them that you are expected, they will know to let you in."

"Any questions?"

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    "Do you have any details? We will need to know more about the girl to find her. Pictures? Height? Weight? Medical issues? Habits? Or will someone meet us there with this information? "

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Raven eyed her fellow runners and decided that there were worse teams she could have been partnered with. Not that she didn't do her level best to project the right persona in the shadows, but the attitude 'runners put on always was fun to see. The elf with the 'deck case amused her in particular; She wondered where his datajack was.

As Mr. J begam his spiel, Raven turned on the recording 'ware in her head. Gathering the salient details of the job, and the salient details of the Johnson.

"Ho, chummers. You can call me Raven." she begins, all business. "Estelle Matuli, 6731 Bellevue Lane, Arbor Heights." Nodding to Jotun she continues, "We need more information. Age? Is she a little girl? Teenager? Middle aged? I can dive in the matrix and see what I can find, but the more information I have the better."

• Options
    Squirrel stood there silent as a post, taking in everything he could about the man speaking to them. Leaving others to question, he stood waiting for them to be ready.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Ooh, everyone looks so professional! Okay, girl, calm down, can't look like you're a beginner. "No ransom notice? Has she been arguing with Mr. Matuli lately? If she ran away, that obviously changes the situation."

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Mao felt a prickling at the back of his neck at the scene in the back room. The glass wall looked like it'd give a Panther AC a hard time, and the reflectiveness shielded whoever was on the other side from magic as well, and he had a few worries as he cast a few sidelong glances at the others, sizing them up. The women weren't bad, but he got the feeling that if he made any cracks about banging, they'd bang him all right, face first against that shiny wall. When people talked about setups like this on the net, starting off the story with, 'so first you get them all into this little room, and then-" things never went well for well for the smooth young elf guy. At least there weren't any trolls in thongs with 'Bubba' tattooed on their chest, but there was one hell of a stacked orc. And a dwarf.

Oh dear.

His mind eased a bit when the glass cleared, and the Johnson started laying out the dope, and he watched the reactions of the other runners. The one who asked questions about the girl being a runner gave him a tingling in the back of his eyes. He'd have to switch over to astral to be sure, but he'd bet 10 of his 11 nuyen that she was awakened. "Call me Dancing," Mao said to Raven, as well as introducing himself to the rest of the group, listening to the others' questions. "What's the ser Matuli's security set-up? Got any vid of the girl entering or leaving the premises? Any glitches in the security data like someone's been mucking around with the feeds?"

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options

Ooh, everyone looks so professional! Okay, girl, calm down, can't look like you're a beginner. "No ransom notice? Has she been arguing with Mr. Matuli lately? If she ran away, that obviously changes the situation."

Jotun says, "Strange little girl brings up important point. If girl isn't kidnapped, we bring back anyway? I bring up another point. If girl is kidnapped, what you want we do with kidnappers?" as he pops his knuckles unsubtly.