As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[help] pc not accepting log-in passwords, do I need to reinstall to factory?

Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess?Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
I am running a windows 7 laptop that has worked without issue up till now. It just won't accept my log-in password. I know it is correct and that capslock isn't on, the password isn't the issue. I have tried resetting the password via the setup-menu to something new and even with changes saved, the comp would still not accept the password. I have tried logging in via safemode and that doesn't work either.

Muse Among Men on

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Okay, my phone ate my post twice:

I poked around online and my complaint isn't unique but the advice is either something that did not work for me or to reinstall. I have the backup disks and it would not be too painful to lose my files etc but I'd rather not if i can help it.

What are my options right now? Is reinstall my only option or are there other solutions i have not tried yet?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Put ophcrack on a LiveCD and crack it.

edit: ophcrack might not actually have a password reset option, I've used this and it has worked before

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    somehow the password worked (the same one I'd been trying unsuccessfully, go figure). I'm backing up all my important cat meme files and stuff just in case my comp won't let me log back in the next time. I'll be downloading that. Do you think I could save it on a flashdrive? All the cds I have one me are the backups. I have two sets (the factory backup and the official Windows backup), perhaps I could part with one but I'm not sure.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If you want to put it on a flash drive then download the installer for the USB drive version.

TychoCelchuuu on
    ah, I did not notice his usb installer. This entire ordeal has taught me to back up my files (not that I had a lot). Now that I have, I'll put real thought into starting fresh and reinstalling anyway. And to have a flashdrive set up with 'rescue programs' for events like this. I've restarted the computer twice now and while it seems to struggle with the password it eventually accepts it, so I hope it doesn't start disappointing me again.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    It's a laptop... So maybe the function button is permanently pressed in? If you're running W7 you can trigger the on screen keyboard from the login menu and see any keys that are depressed.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It's a laptop... So maybe the function button is permanently pressed in? If you're running W7 you can trigger the on screen keyboard from the login menu and see any keys that are depressed.

ya, I was going to guess a broken keyboard as well, you can can also try just plugging in a usb keyboard if you have one around and see if the problem stops.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms