As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your OS is old, please pay us money to work again

trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular

I had what I suspect was an MBR corruption - or at least a corruption of one of the files loaded during bootup. The system would get 60-70% through booting, then flash a bluescreen and return to the start of the boot process.

The only way I could get my system to boot was bia going to the recovery CD and re-installing the OEM version that came with the machine initially.

Having done that I was in the process of patching up the OS to get it back to where it was. I downloaded and installed SP1 but before I could go any further I got the message that "this version of Vista is not validated" and was informed that I would be cut off from updates, and have access to the control panel etc removed until I validated the OS.

Not particularly bothered with that in itself as I thought it would be a minor thing to re-validate the OS. However when I tried I simply got the message that "this version is no longer available" and the only options I was then give was to pay 100+ euro to upgrade to Win7 or report my OS as a pirate copy.

I have tried searching for what to do to correct this - as I cannot believe MS can legitimately cripple my machine simply for being 4 years old (some software I have will not run without SP2), however my google-fu hasn't delivered me a clear answer on how to proceed.

Anyone else had this problem? Or know how to approach it?

Please do not just say "upgrade to Win7, it's better anyway" as I will be getting a replacement PC[1] later in the year so I do not want to shell out for a Win7 licence now when I will be getting one with the new machine when I can afford it. I just want my current machine working so that I have something to use for the next few months until replacement kit is bought.

Cheers.

[1] Once I do get replacement kit though this P.O.S. machine will be wiped and installed with a linux flavour to live out it's days as a file server on the home network.

McGough_EA.png
trevellian on

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Are you given an option to validate over the phone? I have had instances where online validation failed, but going through the automated phone system worked just fine.

• trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular

Not in the window following the "validation" process - but I think I saw one when I was furkling about on the MS site.

I'll check it out tonight.

McGough_EA.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Vista is still fully supported, so it should still validate without issue.

Try the steps in this article to get the installation validated: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940315

• trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Vista is still fully supported, so it should still validate without issue.

Well it did eventually validate/activate, but I wouldn't say it was without issue ;-p

Bizarrely I had the machine powered on last night but, because of the unmitigated failure to get it to validate the previous night, I didn't even try to validate the OS last night - just updated a few applications.

To my surprise, just as I was finishing up, I noticed that OS updates had started to automatically download so I went to the system details and saw that the OS was now listed as fully activated o.O

So I now have SP2 installed and the OS validated. Still can't get BF3 to run, but I'll try dealing with that later.

Cheers for the help you two.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The activation servers could've been down when you tried as well, this happens occasionally.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me