As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MIT does it again, because that's what they do, apparently

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    So your penis is 71 microuriels long?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You count in units of ten though, right?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Fuck it, Lets all just go back to cubits.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    as a tall person, I support use of the cubit

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    You count in units of ten though, right?

My entire life I've obviously learned base-10 math, but in my mind everything is base-5.

I naturally break everything into units of 5 and stack them.

It also helps that I see the grids, which when I try to explain to people they look at me like I'm crazy, but I see a grid of numbers in front of me all the time, and as it moves I see the answer to whatever I'm trying to solve.

So when I was back in school teachers would get mad when I didn't "show my work", but it was because there was no work to show, I saw the numbers move, the grid stacked, and that was the answer. it was instant.

They just assumed I was cheating.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I amaze friends, family, and acquaintances with my ability to remember what the atomic mass and symbol are for common elements.

Bitch please, I fucking work with this shit daily. I'm not a super genius or some kind of elitist nerd, I've just remembered these things over time and constant use.

I'm also getting tired of people groaning or making a WTF face when they ask me what my job is and I say Analytical Chemist. I'm sorry you hated chemistry in high school. I did not make it up, I just work with it. It was worse trying to explain to them I was a research scientist in glass chemistry and applications.

I need to make up a socially easier fake job/education to talk about. Something about sales. Maybe postal worker or pimp for teenage runaways and illegal alien sex workers.

• Options
    Human Trafficking and Organ Procurement Management, and I do Web Design on the side.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    If I ever say things like "yeah, I left it in my lab at work", people just go crazy thinking I'm making monsters, injecting food dye into bunny eyes, or playing with contagions that will make your tongue fall out.

I do those things on my own time, not at work people.

• Options
    Hey, you work with furnaces.

Ever think about doing some casting or shaping? For instance, titanium? Because.... the one place I've found down here with the equipment wants a fortune to do one-offs.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    I've done work with aluminum casting, but not titanium.

Glass is a bit different because the viscosity can go from flowing water-like liquid to a bit like syrup to molasses in January to it ain't fucking moving very quickly with only a small drop in temperature.

Also it tends to explode from internal stresses if you don't anneal it properly, which adds a wrinkle in casting.

• Options
    Yeah, I wanted to cast some hardware for the smoker I have plans to build, and it was almost $2500 for setup. To say nothing of the materials, which were 5x what I found them for on-line

After I did the math, I realized I'd pay almost $5k for parts. I could just buy a professional rig and trailer for that.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Reusable condiment bottles!

We have had that since the mid 1800's only you had to wash them out before filling them again

I am lazy do you not know this

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Hunter have they discovered transparent aluminum yet?

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Why don't you just show him the equation mr future man

• Options
    Sheri wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

Why don't you just show him the equation mr future man

I would but this damned computer isn't working

hUBRD.jpg

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Damnit, I'm late to making all the best jokes!

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    I can only imagine the revolution LiquiGlide will cause when combined with beer bongs. Double-time.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Try telling people you're an auditor. Everyone just assumes I work for the IRS and, by extension, hate me.

I've gotten to the point where, when people ask me what I do, I tell them that I'm a comedian, children's magician, and amateur chef, but I am an accountant during the day. I'd much rather talk about my hobbies than my job.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hunter just tell them your job is to fuck their wives correctly.

Tell the wives you give sex lessons.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Don't ever use the word analyze in your job description to someone, either. That single word causes instant eyes glazing over.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i know a guy who straight up won't tell anyone what his job is

if you ask he changes the subject and he will just keep changing it no matter how pushy you get

pretty sure he works for the mob

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I usually duck the question, or lie. Because everyone makes the same face and almost nobody knows how to respond intelligently and it's just such a conversation killer.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I usually duck the question, or lie. Because everyone makes the same face and almost nobody knows how to respond intelligently and it's just such a conversation killer.

wait what do you do for a living

isn't it something sciencey

• Options

It depends who's asking and where they ask. But generally I am a bio-roboticist. I work with behavioural biologists and neuroscientists to create bio-inspired sensors and algorithms for insect-inspired visual control of autonomous vehicles, usually flying ones. Sometimes I go out and spend hours filming insects, sometimes I spend days locked in a dark room doing really tedious mathematics, mostly I do a lot of programming and data analysis, and sometimes i build things (that's the fun bit).

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    See.

I would respond with a short moment of silence.

Then say.

That's.
    So.
    Cool.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    I also work on robots. But yours sound way cooler.

The ones I work on are just linear axis robots.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I shit on sidewalks, mostly.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    So you're that little kid I saw in Peking?

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    WHAT?

THAT LITTLE FUCK.

I SPECIFICALLY TOLD HIM THAT CHINA WAS MY TURF.

• Options
    I would talk the shit about wings, and materials and scalability and power sources.

Seriously how is that not a conversation.

• Options

It depends who's asking and where they ask. But generally I am a bio-roboticist. I work with behavioural biologists and neuroscientists to create bio-inspired sensors and algorithms for insect-inspired visual control of autonomous vehicles, usually flying ones. Sometimes I go out and spend hours filming insects, sometimes I spend days locked in a dark room doing really tedious mathematics, mostly I do a lot of programming and data analysis, and sometimes i build things (that's the fun bit).

okay that's the coolest thing i ever heard

so basically you go and you look at bugs, and you try to figure out how they do the things they do, and then you build robots which do the same things using the lessons you learnt from the bugs

which makes sense because bugs are really just tiny chitinous robots anyway

that's fantastic

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Nic have I said before that your job sounds like the coolest thing

Because it does

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I also believe that these people you're talking to are lame. That's some awesome shit right there.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    I would talk the shit about wings, and materials and scalability and power sources.

Seriously how is that not a conversation.

Oh yeah, definitely, sometimes you get really interesting conversations. And if I know the person I'm talking to is in any way science or technically inclined then I'm happy to natter. But if you're just chit-chatting with a random person for five minutes in a doctor's office or whatever that kind of thing is often just an impediment to the natural flow of small-talk. And even with my close friends, unless they're in similar jobs/fields, they don't really get what I do day to day or understand the problems and challenges I have. at least not without a lot of background explanation. Which is kind of tiring ... so I just end up not talking about work much to most people.

@Crimson King Yep that's it exactly!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    does @BugBoy know about this

Crimson King on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    See this just reminds me of the time I accidentally watched 5 minutes of Beauty and the Geek, and they were coaching this guy on how to talk about his job, and kept trying to get him to avoid describing it as 'Tracking monkeys with lasers', as he tended to do

And I just remember thinking "But... but that sounds awesome why would he not say that"

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    it DOES sound awesome!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I wish I could say I track monkeys with lasers for a living.

• Options
    I can only imagine the revolution LiquiGlide will cause when combined with beer bongs. Double-time.

You do understand that beer is not a viscous, sticky fluid and already has no problem flowing through the beer bong, right?

I could get a measurement of viscosity for you if you need proof. I have a Brookfield in storage and I believe the right spindles to test ketchup and beer. Would you like the results in poise or centipoise?