As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 2012, it's over, now ask the people that went questions. (Now with pictures!)

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Games and Technology
I'm not seeing a specific E3 thread, and since we'll be talking about it like rabid animals as it comes closer, and is in progress, we might as well have a thread for it.

Since we all are pretty familiar with E3 and what it is, we don't really need any kind of fancy op, or description, this thread is mainly for the discussion about the event and announcements. So bam, website and logo, now git u sum!

http://www.e3expo.com/
Show Hours
Tues, June 5, 2012
12:00PM - 6:00PM
Wed, June 6, 2012
10:00AM - 6:00PM
Thurs, June 7, 2012
10:00AM - 5:00PM

wdqQn.png
If you want to watch they should be streaming.. EVERYWHERE!

E3-logo.png

Talk about what's been announced, what you think might be announced, the ups and downs of the event, etc. As long as it's about E3 it's fair game and this is the place to do it.

Don't forget IRC
There's also #paforums_pax for PAX related things. I created #paforums_e3 anyways if people want to use that, here's a handy webclient link if someone wants to update the OP: http://www.slashnet.org/webclient/paforums_e3

Or http://www.slashnet.org/webclient/paforums for the general channel.

Edit: And just to tease people, I've done this, and you haven't! :D
16634_176234167682_563737682_3064003_8159571_n.jpg
But since I love you all, I hope you get the chance to some day.

Edit: Pictures from E3!

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    God I can't believe it's only two weeks.. Feels further away :P

Edit: You may want to put the dates at least in the OP :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    E3 this year is on our jubilee bank holiday days, it's almost like Liz wanted me to stay at home at watch the conferences.

PA IRC is also best of times during em.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Oh man, I can't wait for more information about the new Castlevania game. And Doom 4! And Final Fantasy 15!

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    If Nintendo drops a new, original Zelda game for 3DS, blowjobs all around.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to seeing who has the awkwardest press conference.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    If Nintendo drops a new, original Zelda game for 3DS, blowjobs all around.

I'll be holding you to that.

Wait...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »

Hint: it's Konami.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I usually go to E3 every year, I think I've only missed 1 or 2 since 2004/5, so I've been going for almost 10 years now I guess. I'm doing my best to go this year, but the ESA's ulcered sphincter has been getting tighter and tighter every year to the point that even people working at major companies get turned down for tickets. It used to be too easy to get in, now the pendulum has swung wildly in the opposite direction. Your website has to be big to get into E3, well how do you get big, you go to E3! Yay logic! Anyway, I might have an in this year, I might not, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgmb8Rg69vY

That AT&T reaction never gets old.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    God I can't believe it's only two weeks.. Feels further away :P

Edit: You may want to put the dates at least in the OP :P

Ok I added the dates to the OP, GAWD! Along with something that's pure evil. ;)

• Options
    edited May 2012
    So do we know when the individual conferences are?

Edit: Wow, you've been touched by Miyamoto. You are officially cool.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

He touched ME! *stabs thumb against his chest as he says it* But, that might explain why I have so many awesome game ideas. Now if only someone would make them... :(

Also I added the conference schedule to the OP for you.

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    All I care about is Pikmin 3 or at least everything is being blurred out by it.

And yeah Konami's press conference. Always interesting.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options

He touched ME! *stabs thumb against his chest as he says it* But, that might explain why I have so many awesome game ideas. Now if only someone would make them... :(

Also I added the conference schedule to the OP for you.

Awesome thanks for that. Could've found it myself, but I'm just too damn lazy. :D

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    All I care about is Pikmin 3 or at least everything is being blurred out by it.

Pikmin 3 would get me to buy a nintendo console.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    reVerse wrote: »
    simulacrum wrote: »

Hint: it's Konami.

Their one last year sucked. They were so embarrassed by the previous year I guess that they pre-recorded it. But seriously, the previous year was awesome. I hope they go back to that. ONE MILLWEN TWOOPS!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My predictions

Nintendo: No WiiU price or release date announced, just to spite us, but they'll show off what they have planned for online. New Super Mario Bros Mii will be the big first party title, along with heavily pimping any third-party titles that'll make launch or near launch. On the 3DS front, I suspect we'll see a new Zelda game.
    Wishlist: A Metroid Prime style FPS. I've been craving a new one of these for YEARS.

Microsoft: I'm guessing it'll be like the last two press conferences. 3-4 videos/demonstrations of "hardcore" titles, a bunch of kinect stuff I won't care about, new media options for the 360 and maybe a look at the new dashboard. They'll also forget XBLA exists for the duration of their press conference.
    Wishlist: A "hardcore" Kinect game that works. I like gadgets and would like a Kinect, but I have no real reason to buy one.

Sony: Move will be barely whispered about. 3D will either be given one last, final push or finally given up upon. They'll trot out a shiton of exclusives for the PS3 (Last of Us, God of War Ascension, Sony All-Stars) but I'm curious if they'll manage to raise mindshare about the Vita. They desperately need to do something and this is pretty much the time to do it.
    Wishlist: A UI update, I dislike the current one.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I have never given a toss about Pikmin.

That Starfox x Metroid game that, admittedly, is only a rumored idea that perhaps never became a game would make the Wii U day one for me. Nintendo needs to inject some insanity into proceedings.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm not going to do any threads for the conferences this year. I know I said that last year and ended up doing it anyway on a whim, but this year I'm seeing them as entirely superfluous. We can cram the necessary info into this thread and I trust Spaniard enough to post the important points once they've been gathered.

That said, I'm missing out on Nintendo's conference for sure due to IRL scheduling. I'm shocked everyone else is cramming their conferences in on the same day though. And is Konami going to so much as do a pre-recorded conference or are they just abandoning the whole idea as they should have?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Has Microsoft ever had an interesting conference? I swear it seems like all of their conferences spend half the time focusing on dashboard updates and/or not-new games. I suppose I don't remember the 360 announcement one, maybe that one was interesting...

Edit: Sony's will be pimping Vita as much as humanly possible I suspect.

Any of these I suppose could pull a surprise console announcement out but I doubt it.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm not going to do any threads for the conferences this year. I know I said that last year and ended up doing it anyway on a whim, but this year I'm seeing them as entirely superfluous. We can cram the necessary info into this thread and I trust Spaniard enough to post the important points once they've been gathered.

That said, I'm missing out on Nintendo's conference for sure due to IRL scheduling. I'm shocked everyone else is cramming their conferences in on the same day though. And is Konami going to so much as do a pre-recorded conference or are they just abandoning the whole idea as they should have?

If I'm at the event I won't be seeing the press conferences, so if somebody wraps up the announcements in a quotable bow, I can dump them into the OP.

• Options
    Has Microsoft ever had an interesting conference? I swear it seems like all of their conferences spend half the time focusing on dashboard updates and/or not-new games. I suppose I don't remember the 360 announcement one, maybe that one was interesting...

Any of these I suppose could pull a surprise console announcement out but I doubt it.

They were good right up until the Kinect became a thing they started talking about. It all went downhill from there, as Kinect and media options began absorbing the conference.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    How do you people usually experience the conferences, apart from this forum and livestreams?

I remember there was a PA chat last year that was fun, so I hope that's still going to be set up by someone. Has anyone here ever been on a voicechat channel while watching the streams so you can babble about it together?

• Options
    I usually just watch the livestream and then check out the giant forum post after the fact.

• Options

They were good right up until the Kinect became a thing they started talking about. It all went downhill from there, as Kinect and media options began absorbing the conference.

See I think that's around the time I really started paying attention to the actual conferences (rather than just getting bullet points the next day :P). That's probably why.

Side note - there is no Konami listed on that conference schedule. I hope that is just a grave mistake (I will still hold out hope for another hilarious conference even after last year's disappointment)

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    How do you people usually experience the conferences, apart from this forum and livestreams?

I remember there was a PA chat last year that was fun, so I hope that's still going to be set up by someone. Has anyone here ever been on a voicechat channel while watching the streams so you can babble about it together?

Usually I'm not able to watch them live (used to record off G4, but not sure if they're airing them at all this year), though this year I might be able to watch all but Nintendo's since I have Monday off. I'll probably just record it off... I guess Spike TV? and watch later. Anything I miss I'll read online.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Wasn't Konami not doing terribly great? (not as bad as THQ of course, but still). And given the whole reason they chickened out last year was because of the absolutely batshit insane 2010 conference, I suspect we'll get a weakass conference again

• Options
    Wasn't Konami not doing terribly great? (not as bad as THQ of course, but still). And given the whole reason they chickened out last year was because of the absolutely batshit insane 2010 conference, I suspect we'll get a weakass conference again

They made a profit during Q4 2011 apparently.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/konami-profits-jump-77-6349661

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My predictions

Nintendo: No WiiU price or release date announced, just to spite us, but they'll show off what they have planned for online. New Super Mario Bros Mii will be the big first party title, along with heavily pimping any third-party titles that'll make launch or near launch. On the 3DS front, I suspect we'll see a new Zelda game.
    Wishlist: A Metroid Prime style FPS. I've been craving a new one of these for YEARS.

Microsoft: I'm guessing it'll be like the last two press conferences. 3-4 videos/demonstrations of "hardcore" titles, a bunch of kinect stuff I won't care about, new media options for the 360 and maybe a look at the new dashboard. They'll also forget XBLA exists for the duration of their press conference.
    Wishlist: A "hardcore" Kinect game that works. I like gadgets and would like a Kinect, but I have no real reason to buy one.

Sony: Move will be barely whispered about. 3D will either be given one last, final push or finally given up upon. They'll trot out a shiton of exclusives for the PS3 (Last of Us, God of War Ascension, Sony All-Stars) but I'm curious if they'll manage to raise mindshare about the Vita. They desperately need to do something and this is pretty much the time to do it.
    Wishlist: A UI update, I dislike the current one.

I'll reiterate my calls for this thread too.

Nintendo:
    They honestly have the most room to wow us. But they don't traditionally highlight the partnerships they have with third parties. They're always first-party crazy in this, and really, we'll see more of the stuff we know about or heard about, but as for anything new I don't think we'll get any delivery. They may unveil a new 3DS model though.
    Wishlist: A comprehensive online plan laid out and a new Metroid.

Microsoft:
    They're going to push the Kinect, which everyone hates, but they're not doing bad business in doubling down on it. I'm expecting something new regarding XBL, probably another partnership or an expansion on a currently existing one... who knows.
    Wishlist: I'm really hoping MS steps up their game and announces new plans to support indie developers.

Sony:
    Sony, as per the evidence of their marketing and PR lingo as of late, is going to double-down on the Vita and showcase it more than ever. Which isn't a bad plan, but goddamn they better make a strong case for it because they're floundering. They're in a make-or-break situation and I feel bad for them.
    Wishlist: A super strong Vita library and plans to support indie developers.

I should also say that for the last few months I've been saying that online services and support for indie developers is the future of the console war and I'm expecting it to start here, this year. It'd better.

• Options

If I'm at the event I won't be seeing the press conferences, so if somebody wraps up the announcements in a quotable bow, I can dump them into the OP.

I'll agree to do that much at least, sure.

• Options

I expect Konami to stick to their plans regardless. The company is going to idle from the "hardcore" audience (I know, I hate the phrase too, but it's what we're left with). We might see more of the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sequel, but that's it. I would be very shocked if we see any new Castlevania content. Oh, and I guess we'll see some Hideo Kojima shit of some sort. But again, this is show-floor stuff, I don't think they're having a conference this year from the looks of things.

• Options
    edited May 2012

I expect Konami to stick to their plans regardless. The company is going to idle from the "hardcore" audience (I know, I hate the phrase too, but it's what we're left with). We might see more of the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sequel, but that's it. I would be very shocked if we see any new Castlevania content. Oh, and I guess we'll see some Hideo Kojima shit of some sort. But again, this is show-floor stuff, I don't think they're having a conference this year from the looks of things.

There are rumors of a new 3DS Castlevania game.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited May 2012

There's always rumors in the video game industry. (Edit - This is me saying "so what" in a roundabout way. I want to see it to know it's coming.)

Henroid on
  • Options

There's always rumors in the video game industry. (Edit - This is me saying "so what" in a roundabout way. I want to see it to know it's coming.)

Touché

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I imagine E3 is when Sony is going to announce that All-Stars Battle Royale is coming out for the Vita as well, while showing off cross-play (maybe) and at least a good chunk of the roster. I'm also really hoping that they'll include a spiel about 'where they came from' or something (meaning the PSOne) which leads into pushing out the firmware update for the Vita that adds PSOne Support.

Edit: Actually there are kind of rumors about two Castlevania games. MercurySteam has mentioned working on the sequel for LoS and yet have been kinda-sorta attached (via rumors) to the 3DS game, Mirror of Fate. I wouldn't be too surprised if both games get announced, where Mirror of Fate is Metroidvania and not done by MercurySteam.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options

They had the Contra logo at the end of last year's video. They ever do anything with that?

• Options

They had the Contra logo at the end of last year's video. They ever do anything with that?

Nothing since last E3, so who knows if we'll hear anything this year.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I imagine E3 is when Sony is going to announce that All-Stars Battle Royale is coming out for the Vita as well, while showing off cross-play (maybe) and at least a good chunk of the roster. I'm also really hoping that they'll include a spiel about 'where they came from' or something (meaning the PSOne) which leads into pushing out the firmware update for the Vita that adds PSOne Support.

Edit: Actually there are kind of rumors about two Castlevania games. MercurySteam has mentioned working on the sequel for LoS and yet have been kinda-sorta attached (via rumors) to the 3DS game, Mirror of Fate. I wouldn't be too surprised if both games get announced, where Mirror of Fate is Metroidvania and not done by MercurySteam.

Oh my god, do NOT hold your breath for that, are you kidding?

• Options
    Here's my list of crushed dreams from this year's E3. Just for shits and giggles.

Something New From Valve: Officially Not Happening
    Gears of War: Exile Official Announcement: Game was canceled
    New Xbox Reveal: Officially not happening
    New Playstation Reveal: Officially not happening
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light sequel: Officially "no plans to make"
    Sid Mier's Alpha Centuari 2: Possible but unlikely as the rights are with EA.

• Options
    edited May 2012

Nothing since last E3, so who knows if we'll hear anything this year.

I am predicting a 3DS sprite-based Contra 5 developed by WayForward. Because I am a horrible optimist :D

Edit: The Lara Croft thing still pisses me off. That was the best XBLA game ever.

Warlock82 on