As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good $100-150 Digital Camera to Take Abroad

HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'll be going to Jordan for 7 weeks this summer (hooray!) but just realized I don't have a good camera. My iPhone will probably be left at home, in case anyone was thinking of suggesting I use that; in any event, I have a decrepit 3GS, so the photos would be terrible anyway. There are a hojillion-and-one low-end cameras in this range, which is why I need help sorting the wheat from the chaff. My only real parameters are: relatively high megapixels (though that seems like a given these days), motion/blur control, 720p+ video (would really like 1080p, but that doesn't seem to be a common feature in this price range), and SD/SDHC/SDXC (I have no idea what the difference is between HC and XC, or which I want) memory.

Are there any specific considerations that I might be missing? There'll be some planned trips out into the desert, so a solid case recommendation would be nice.

Hamurabi on

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    I'm not a camera expert, but there are things to keep in mind. For example, the quality of the sensor. It can make a camera with a lot of megapixels take a lower quality photo than one with less. Also some cameras can handle low lights better than others so you won't always have to use a flash if it's dark.

Realistically if I were you I'd just read a ton of reviews.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Honestly, you don't want a lot of megapixels, because the sensors are small and packing more megapixels into a small sensor just increases the noise. If you go to a shop and read every placard (which I don't recommend), you'd quickly notice that the cameras that tout "low noise" or "good low-light performance" are the ones with fewer megapixels.

For a trip like that and for that budget, you're not going to get National Geographic style pictures. That's OK! However, are you looking for any particular element in a camera as far as the actual pictures you're going to take? Do you anticipate seeing things from far away (superzoom), or indoors (good low light)?

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    A lot of people seemed to like this camera's predecessor, and you can get a bundle that includes a case and 4GB SD card for $150:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B0075SUG8Q/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

If you want something cheaper, the low-end Panasonics get good reviews and have the benefit of taking standard AA batteries as opposed to the Canon's Li-ion battery. While they don't last as long, it has the benefit of being able to easily swap in new batteries without having to find an outlet to go recharge:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-LS6K-Digital-Camera-Opitical/dp/B007CLVTVY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337826841&sr=1-2

• Options
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Honestly, you don't want a lot of megapixels, because the sensors are small and packing more megapixels into a small sensor just increases the noise. If you go to a shop and read every placard (which I don't recommend), you'd quickly notice that the cameras that tout "low noise" or "good low-light performance" are the ones with fewer megapixels.

For a trip like that and for that budget, you're not going to get National Geographic style pictures. That's OK! However, are you looking for any particular element in a camera as far as the actual pictures you're going to take? Do you anticipate seeing things from far away (superzoom), or indoors (good low light)?

It'll probably be in relatively well-lit indoor environs, and overlit outdoor landscapes (gotta get that stereotypical 'standing in the foreground with a desert backdrop' shot).

That reminds me: I would really prefer if it took AA's. I know the Lithium Ion Energizers last a really long time, and I'd prefer the convenience of popping in more of those to having to charge my camera in an outlet or off my laptop's USB port.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    a5ehren wrote: »
    A lot of people seemed to like this camera's predecessor, and you can get a bundle that includes a case and 4GB SD card for $150:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B0075SUG8Q/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I took a Canon Powershot (last year's model) to France for 5 months and it was just perfect. Small and compact, takes great photos and videos in all sorts of light. Highly recommended.

Esh on
  • Options
    That camera's on sale at Best Buy for $130. As I'm leaving within 2 weeks, being able to get it in a B&M is better.

Thanks guys.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Like my ELPH as well; think it's the 300.

That's a good deal - enjoy!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I've been using the Canon Powershot A590 for a few years now and it's wonderful. Easy to use and durable (I've dropped it many times and it works fine). Even the video it takes is passable. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a quality reliable camera in that price range. I got mine for about $120 when it was new, not sure how much the latest models would be. I find 8-16 gig sd cards for $10-15 all the time now, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream