As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, May 24, 2012 - Cinematic

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Cinematic

Cinematic
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/cinematic

No Choice About It

Anonymous

Inbetween test projects, I got moved to an FPS toward the end of developement. When I played for the first time, I raised my hand and jokingly asked, “Can I put down the whole game as a serious bug?” I was going for a laugh, but I was quite serious. It was THAT BAD.

No one on the team was amused, because every newb made that same joke. They all knew it was the worst game ever made. But they had to work on it.

When you get a testing job, there’s no choice about what game you work on. They assign you a game and you work on it. Sounds simple enough.

In a bad economy, this game is the difference between you being employed for long hours and a so-so wage and being unemployed in the family basement. So when you’re assigned a game, you have to put up with it no matter what it is.

Don’t like M-Rated FPSs and want to work on the E-rated RPG in the other room? Sorry dude. Chances are for the next few months you’re stuck with that game, 8-12 hours a day.

Whatever it is.

If the graphics are bad, you see it every day. The voice-acting/music/sound design is atrocious? You get to listen to hours of it for audio bugs while you play. No Pandora for you (Guys got let go for doing that btw). Can’t skip cut scenes either.

And you have to test whatever they assign you to about that game. You have to anticipate what might be exploited or what might crash the game.

My brother once had the task to kill a flying mini-boss, the hardest creature in the game to kill in terms of skill, with every weapon in the game including that little axe they give you with no reach at all. His day did not end until he had killed the toughest monster in the crappiest game ever with a crappy melee weapon. It took him forever, as did every other mini-boss and normal boss in the game with every weapon.

Then the next day he got a new build… and had to do it again.

But that’s the job. The job that meant the difference between employment and unemployment.

Geth on

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    A useful story. One of the most important rules in testing: No matter what your opinion of a game is, don't say things that can only serve to make the game less pleasant for others (and yourself) to test. Kind of goes for all careers, really, but when testing it can be really hard to keep your opinion to yourself.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I love that he felt he had to explain the quote. Like it's happened before and he just wants to be sure.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    He just doesn't want to be reported to HR. Again.

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    what happened to her hair inbetween his fingers in panel 1

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    it's her ear

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    what happened to her hair inbetween his fingers in panel 1

I'm assuming that's because his fingers are spread open, parting her hair, so you see the wall through the spread he opened.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    "That's was"...Sadly, whenever someone quotes this scene I think of Billy Madison before Godfather 2.

Also, I can't help but think that Cora is in some kind of comatose after panel 1. Isaac moves his position from panel 2 to 3, but Cora's in the same exact pose with the same expression. As if they just copypasta from one panel to the next and then redrew Isaac. Seems kind of lazy. =/

Funny comic though.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    "That's was"...Sadly, whenever someone quotes this scene I think of Billy Madison before Godfather 2.

Also, I can't help but think that Cora is in some kind of comatose after panel 1. Isaac moves his position from panel 2 to 3, but Cora's in the same exact pose with the same expression. As if they just copypasta from one panel to the next and then redrew Isaac. Seems kind of lazy. =/

Funny comic though.

I think it's done on purpose to make her seem flabbergasted by what's happening. You never stand somewhere slackjawed after someone does something incredibly stupid.

And by the way, they didn't copy/paste her, as in the last panel they forgot to colour in her leg. :)

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm assuming he kissed her (thereby signifying she's dead to him) and that's why she's stunned/he references HR.

I'm also assuming that wasn't included because they couldn't figure out how to draw it, since their ridiculous and bizarre noses would have to interact in some way for a kiss to take place.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    And that was the beginning of their romance!

Isaac/Cora shipper 4lyfe, Isaacora 4evah.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    Coraac

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Where's the story? That was just a rambling list of things that game testers might have to go through, which I think we've picked up by now over the last half a year.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Where's the story? That was just a rambling list of things that game testers might have to go through, which I think we've picked up by now over the last half a year.

The story is that they didn't have or weren't able to pick an interesting real story to post, so they punted and put up that dull ramble instead.

• Options
    ApolloinApolloin Registered User regular
    It's kind of interesting in that it reminds that testers are not really supposed to be testing the quality of the game but finding bugs and exploits. I've met testers who really didn't get that and whose leads were forced to intercept comments on design decisions, graphical and sound quality and poor writing.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I was cracking up at "Please don't report me to HR."

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Trenches-NotGood.jpg

I've really tried. I love dem guys but I just can't be a part of this anymore.

• Options
    Trenches-NotGood.jpg

You'll be missed.

No, wait, the other thing.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Gaslight, I wonder if you will get a commendation after the war for your service in the trenches. Repelling all invaders that seek to overrun the lines.

• Options
    They can give me all the medals they want, I'll always have to live with the memories. And the dreams, my God, the dreams.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The comic is boring, but the stories still interest me, mostly.

I'd like to think that Scott's inability to draw two of his characters kissing will convince both him and Gabe of the inherent awfulness of Trenchnoses.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Honestly, they probably didn't picture a kiss because he had to talk in all three panels. Hell, there may not even have been a kiss. Maybe she is just stunned that he squished her cheeks like that?

Guess we'll find out next week...

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'd like to think that Scott's inability to draw two of his characters kissing

Sure they can.

7frY0.jpg

will convince both him and Gabe of the inherent awfulness of Trenchnoses.

Oh, "two of his characters" or "two of these characters"? Why would the noses affect it? Just draw one and have the other one turn their head slightly so you don't see the two noses interlocking. Or do an upside-down Spider-Man kiss. There are plenty of routes.

Or just do it straight across like normal. It could happen. It just wasn't going to happen here because that's not what they were going for.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    But that’s the job. The job that meant the difference between employment and unemployment.

I love this line

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Trenches-NotGood.jpg

It isn't about you, or about how you buy games, or about getting angry at injustice. It's about them talking about the shitty work environment of testers because somehow the job always gets a "good rap", in that people get the wrong impression about testing. You aren't supposed to do anything about it, because it's obviously not about you. The stories aren't even supposed to make you laugh, they're supposed to be relate-able to testers.
    You look at the comic and read the stories, it's hardly being "a part of" anything really. I wouldn't call myself "a part of" wall street because I see it on television.

Also, the "story" feels really weak this time. It's less of an interesting anecdote and more of a straight description of testing in general.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Yea... you could replace games with testing anything else and you'd capture that same emotion from that story.

and I don't get why someone would take the time to edit a comic to show they don't like it in that manner. To load the photo, scrub the bubbles, add and size your text and then fit in some other image... just... wth. sometimes it's okay to walk away quietly. o_O

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Yea... you could replace games with testing anything else and you'd capture that same emotion from that story.

and I don't get why someone would take the time to edit a comic to show they don't like it in that manner. To load the photo, scrub the bubbles, add and size your text and then fit in some other image... just... wth. sometimes it's okay to walk away quietly. o_O

Because he needs us all to know that he's not happy and can't be "part of this" anymore.

• Options
    To be fair, I could make that edit in a couple of minutes easy. If he already had gimp/photoshop open at the time, it's not exactly a massive investment on his part.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    will convince both him and Gabe of the inherent awfulness of Trenchnoses.

Oh, "two of his characters" or "two of these characters"? Why would the noses affect it? Just draw one and have the other one turn their head slightly so you don't see the two noses interlocking. Or do an upside-down Spider-Man kiss. There are plenty of routes.

Or just do it straight across like normal. It could happen. It just wasn't going to happen here because that's not what they were going for.

Actually, I don't see how any of those ways would work with a "negative space" nose. Any kiss is going to look wrong at best.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    To be fair, I could make that edit in a couple of minutes easy. If he already had gimp/photoshop open at the time, it's not exactly a massive investment on his part.

The great thing about the edit is that, on it's own, it's a pretty funny parody of WORST COMIC EVER internet fanboys, but then you realize it was written in all seriousness by an internet fanboy and your mind is blown. Poe's Law, man, not even once.

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Oh!

Noses can smoosh a bit in kisses.

• Options
    Oh!

Noses can smoosh a bit in kisses.

But that's just it! Two holes aren't going to "smush" when people are kissing. The two holes will just stare each other down. Creepily.