As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cool/badass stuff from history

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    the whole country was shit tbqh

like pip's dick

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Pip has a shit dick?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    just a cudgel of compressed feces jammed haphazardly into his manties

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the whole country was shit tbqh

like pip's dick

p. much

all of this is correct

• Options
    the south gave us the SPLC and Ida B. Wells and failkner and me

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    The south gave us bluegrass

but they also gave us country

burn it all

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    The south gave us bluegrass

but they also gave us country

burn it all

you talking shit about the man in black?

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    "Black Bart" Bartholomew Roberts:

A man of the navy, his ship was captured by a pirate band. And, after the captain was killed, the crew elected Roberts because of, not joking, his confidence and outspoken demeanor.

Where many pirate crews were harsh and, er, cutthroat, Roberts established a code of conduct that was strictly enforced -
    1. Every man shall have an equal vote in affairs of moment. He shall have an equal title to the fresh provisions or strong liquors at any time seized, and shall use them at pleasure unless a scarcity may make it necessary for the common good that a retrenchment may be voted.
    2. Every man shall be called fairly in turn by the list on board of prizes, because over and above their proper share, they are allowed a shift of clothes. But if they defraud the company to the value of even one dollar in plate, jewels or money, they shall be marooned. If any man rob another he shall have his nose and ears slit, and be put ashore where he shall be sure to encounter hardships.
    3. None shall game for money either with dice or cards.
    4. The lights and candles should be put out at eight at night, and if any of the crew desire to drink after that hour they shall sit upon the open deck without lights.
    5. Each man shall keep his piece, cutlass and pistols at all times clean and ready for action.
    6. No boy or woman to be allowed amongst them. If any man shall be found seducing any of the latter sex and carrying her to sea in disguise he shall suffer death.
    7. He that shall desert the ship or his quarters in time of battle shall be punished by death or marooning.
    8. None shall strike another on board the ship, but every man's quarrel shall be ended on shore by sword or pistol in this manner. At the word of command from the quartermaster, each man being previously placed back to back, shall turn and fire immediately. If any man do not, the quartermaster shall knock the piece out of his hand. If both miss their aim they shall take to their cutlasses, and he that draw the first blood shall be declared the victor.
    9. No man shall talk of breaking up their way of living till each has a share of 1,000. Every man who shall become a cripple or lose a limb in the service shall have 800 pieces of eight from the common stock and for lesser hurts proportionately.
    10. The captain and the quartermaster shall each receive two shares of a prize, the master gunner and boatswain, one and one half shares, all other officers one and one quarter, and private gentlemen of fortune one share each.
    11. The musicians shall have rest on the Sabbath Day only by right. On all other days by favor only.

Throughout the 1700's, Roberts captured so many ships it brought trade in the West Indies to a complete standstill. He took in so much loot he had to continuously capture new ships just to store it all. His flag was so feared that crews would abandon ship rather than fight. His death came to a bloody end when British warships spotted Roberts anchored offshore, his crew still drunk from a previous victory. Roberts was killed after taking a grapeshot in the throat.

Black Bart was so infamous and had left such an impact on the world that his death is marked as the end of the age of piracy.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    People always go "the south seceded because they wanted to keep their slaves." This is not true.

Nobody does anything because of some wild ideological reason. They're used as justifications almost constantly but they're not actual motives. Sure, it might fly with the brash heir to a thousand-acre plantation, but to the average poor white subsistence farmer who brought his father's musket to the line, he couldn't be paid enough to give a fuck about owning slaves because he'd never get paid enough to own one in his whole life.

The South went to war for the same reasons practically anyone goes to war, ever.

They went to war because they thought they could win.

Try, you know, putting yourselves in the shoes of these people sometimes. Both those on the right and wrong sides of history. Human beings haven't physically evolved since we learned to poke cuneiformic wedges in clay tablets in the days of Mesopotamian god-kings. Anyone you read about in history was a modern homo sapiens sapiens, just like your or me. They weren't stupider, or simpler, or anything less (or more.)

Its just people being people, y'all. That is why history is so fascinating.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I was a big fan of the book Bastards and Boneheads when I was a teenager. I wonder if it was any good or if I was just dumb at the time.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    People always go "the south seceded because they wanted to keep their slaves." This is not true.

Nobody does anything because of some wild ideological reason. They're used as justifications almost constantly but they're not actual motives. Sure, it might fly with the brash heir to a thousand-acre plantation, but to the average poor white subsistence farmer who brought his father's musket to the line, he couldn't be paid enough to give a fuck about owning slaves because he'd never get paid enough to own one in his whole life.

The South went to war for the same reasons practically anyone goes to war, ever.

Try, you know, putting yourselves in the shoes of these people sometimes. Both those on the right and wrong sides of history. Human beings haven't physically evolved since we learned to poke cuneiformic wedges in clay tablets in the days of Mesopotamian god-kings. Anyone you read about in history was a modern homo sapiens sapiens, just like your or me. They weren't stupider, or simpler, or anything less (or more.)

Uh, yeah, the South did secede since they wanted to keep their slaves.

"They" being the rich white dudes in the positions of power that were capable of causing the state governments to secede and form a new nation.

Also, the desire of rich Southern plantation owners to preserve slavery was hardly a "wild ideological reason", it's at heart a primarily economic reason.

You can argue that the average Southerner supported secession of a wider range of reasons than wanting to preserve slavery, but to ignore that it was the main reason the state governments decided to secede is ahistorical.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

what? People do dumb shit because of dumb, wild, ideological reasons all the time.

the use of white populism has always been a matter of convincing poor whites that equality for the browns means the end of their entire way of life

poor whites were the ones participating in lynch mobs, they were the ones voting for pro-slavery politicians, they were the ones who joined up after listening to Calhoun's speech on the Peculiar Institution.

Funny side note:
    Slaves were the principal form of wealth in the South--indeed in the nation as a whole. The market value of the four million slaves in 1860 was close to $3 billion--more than the value of land, of cotton, or of anything else in the slave states, and more than the amount of capital invested in manufacturing and railroads combined for the whole United States. Slave labor made it possible for the American South to grow three-quarters of the world's marketed cotton, which in turn constituted more than half of all American exports in the antebellum era.

So knowing that under the specter of national expansion slowly creating non-slave states faster than slave states, the Confederates started a war to preserve the principal driver of their entire economy.

To say "it wasn't about slavery" is just false.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    and he responded by, in a single motion, drawing his sword and slicing the man's arm off (along with part of the musket).

I sincerely doubt that's possible
    With a european style sword maybe, but with a traditionally crafted japanese katana sword he could have sliced off the guy's arm and had his sword back in the sheathe before the arm hit the floor

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Pfft, any Civil War history that lasts longer than 20 minutes can tell you that. It wasn't the only reason. That's not the issue.

Sure, from the South's perspective they were fighting a second glorious revolution against a tyrannical central government. That doesn't mean I want them to lose any less.

In any case, more badass technology.

Nuclear weapons have made the world ridiculously more dangerous or safer depending on your POV. Now consider this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUtnclJwx8

Bear in mind, the Russians reduced the Tsar's payload to reduce fallout. The shockwave circled the Earth three times.

Also, Jesus Christ, riding horses into a nuclear war zone Fallout style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYPHaWDT10s

I get chills when I watch that vid, every time. Sure it's propaganda, but people were seriously preparing for a possible war like that. Whatever side you were on, it would have been beyond terrifying.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_St._Martin

Alexis St. Martin was accidentally shot in the chest in 1822 at the age of 28. He was treated by a physician named William Beaumont, who had no hope that the man would survive his wound. Miraculously, he did - with a permanent hole in his chest. Seeing this as a unique opportunity, Beaumont invited St. Martin to work with him as a servant to allow Beaumont to perform experiments on him, being literally able to watch food as it was being digested. His research played a key role in man's understanding of the digestive process, and he became known as the "Father of Gastric Physilogy".

St. Martin lived for another 58 years, to the age of 86.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    starting Bigger Than Life

@The Lovely Bastard if this movie upsets me i will get vengeance

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I was recently reading about the untimely death of Harry Daghlian.

During the Manhattan Project, he was working with a subcritical mass of plutonium, experimenting with reflecting neutrons back at it using tungsten carbide blocks that he was stacking around the plutonium. He accidentally dropped one of the blocks on the core, causing it to go critical. Harry was not using adequate shielding, and died 25 days later from radiation poisoning. After the incident, the other scientists referred to the mass as the Demon Core.

Partially-reflected-plutonium-sphere.jpeg

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Comradebot wrote: »
    and he responded by, in a single motion, drawing his sword and slicing the man's arm off (along with part of the musket).

I sincerely doubt that's possible
    With a european style sword maybe, but with a traditionally crafted japanese katana sword he could have sliced off the guy's arm and had his sword back in the sheathe before the arm hit the floor

Well, he might've had a cavalry saber.

Wait, who are we talking about?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    That would be fucking terrible to know you've received a lethal dose of radiation but had to wait agonizing days before you finally died.

edit: also, I work at a nuclear power plant and hardly ever think about being exposed to radiation, lol

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I would hypothesize that nuclear weapons probably reduce the expected value of lives lost in war by a substantial amount, but produce a much higher variance.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh man the Demon Core
    At least one other scientist also died due to a fuckup when handling that core

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    By value you mean total number of right

and not like, the worth of the people who died

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I can't even argue Civil War stuff

To me it is basically the most embarrassing and shameful period in our nation's history and I'm not a fan of the things either side did

I tend to lean anti-South but that might just be a response to the Stars and Bars good ol' boy South Will Rise Again shit that's so prevalent in this part of the state

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh man the Demon Core

That guy's story is pretty crazy too.

See, Louis Slotin liked to do experiments on the Demon Core without any shielding, wearing blue jeans and cowboy boots, manipulating the neutron reflectors with a flathead screwdriver. Enrico Fermi told him if he didn't quit showboating like that, he would be dead within the year.

Some time later, Slotin was performing his experiment as a demonstration to others, when the screwdriver slipped and the core went supercritical. There was a flash of blue light and a wave of heat in in the lab. Thinking quickly, Slotin managed to fix the experiment. He saved the lives of the other people in the lab, who were mostly shielded from the radiation by his body, but he wasn't so lucky.

He died nine days later, the second victim of underestimating the Demon Core.

• Options
    That nuclear detonation was fueled by human souls

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    people do things for ideological reasons all the time
    That reminds me, I was recently reading about the untimely death of Harry Daghlian.

During the Manhattan Project, he was working with a subcritical mass of plutonium, experimenting with reflecting neutrons back at it using tungsten carbide blocks that he was stacking around the plutonium. He accidentally dropped one of the blocks on the core, causing it to go critical. Harry was not using adequate shielding, and died 25 days later from radiation poisoning. After the incident, the other scientists referred to the mass as the Demon Core.

Partially-reflected-plutonium-sphere.jpeg

i was just reading about this in comics today

Jonathan Hickman is doing a comic about the Manhattan Project. this guy is in it. turns out he didn't die - he got converted to an energy skeleton and now lives forever inside a containment suit

it's pretty classic

• Options
    Also, that's the coolest name for a subcritical mass of plutonium ever

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Ed in Bigger Than Life is basically my dad but smarter than his wife

this is horrifying

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    By value you mean total number of right

and not like, the worth of the people who died

yes, obviously

• Options
    although they're likely similar values according to most people

fewer lives lost usually means less human value lost

• Options
    i dont know if i can keep watching this movie

this movie keeps reminding me of my dad and how he treated me as a kid and how he talked to my mom and ahhhhhhhh

only 30 minutes left

i'll try to grin and bear it

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    hey @MrMonroe my brother is looking over my shoulder and expressing his approval of the shapes in your sig

thought you'd like to know

• Options
    hey @MrMonroe my brother is looking over my shoulder and expressing his approval of the shapes in your sig

thought you'd like to know

Kepler was a true boss, this is a fact

• Options
    worst part

the absolute worst part

is that the son of Ed in Bigger Than Life has my birthname

(which is also my dad's name, fucking egotist)

• Options
    OKAY HE JUST SAID HE COULDNT ABIDE THE WIFE'S ATTEMPTS TO UNDERMINE HIM

PRACTICALLY VERBATIM SOMETHING MY DAD HAS SAID

I'M DONE

@The Lovely Bastard was this some kind of cruel, sick joke

because you can go to hell if so

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh man the Demon Core

That guy's story is pretty crazy too.

See, Louis Slotin liked to do experiments on the Demon Core without any shielding, wearing blue jeans and cowboy boots, manipulating the neutron reflectors with a flathead screwdriver. Enrico Fermi told him if he didn't quit showboating like that, he would be dead within the year.

Some time later, Slotin was performing his experiment as a demonstration to others, when the screwdriver slipped and the core went supercritical. There was a flash of blue light and a wave of heat in in the lab. Thinking quickly, Slotin managed to fix the experiment. He saved the lives of the other people in the lab, who were mostly shielded from the radiation by his body, but he wasn't so lucky.

He died nine days later, the second victim of underestimating the Demon Core.

Jesus, that thing sounds like a damn Pandora's Box.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i always thought this was p nuts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll

out of the top six human created things that cost lives, besides wwii, five of them happened in china

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Mau Zedong deserves a lot of respect

no one starved people quite like he did

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Mau Zedong deserves a lot of respect

no one starved people quite like he did

mao_xinyu_reuters432.jpg

reposig.jpg