As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend onto me a smartphone! Also a provider!

NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
So I've never had a smart phone before and my phones contract is going to be up soon and I have been thinking about getting a smart phone so I can surf my interwebz while not at home and all that goodness. I don't really know much about smartphones though, and thus turn to the great forum hivemind. I don't know enough to have an opinion on android vs windows phone vs. iphone so I am open to any of them.
Things I am looking for: A nice sized screen. I would like it to be big enough to watch a video on if I am on for when I am on the bus or the train. I don't have a laptop so I would want one that I could easily check my email or google something on. A good amount of file storage for aforementioned videos and games. A provider with a good data plan, I realize unlimited data plans are pretty much gone at this point so I want something where I don't have to worry about getting a thousand dollar bill because I did something stupid. I'd like to be able to check where I am at in my data usage easily. Something easy to type on. I have sent like, 3 texts in my life but this is another area that I think I should get with the times on. A good camera, and preferably also with a forward facing camera for using skype. A good GPS, I think this is more about apps though? A good marketplace for apps, I don't really know the advantages of apples app store vs. Androids for instance.
Edit: As for budget I was hoping to have a max of 300 for the phone after the contract and 50 dollars for the smart phone features of the plan (so not including the cost of the talking parts of the plan)

Neaden on

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Galaxy Note.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Is that like the nexus? Because I've had the nexus for one day and am extremely displeased with it

override367 on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Is that like the nexus? Because I've had the nexus for one day and am extremely displeased with it
    Would you mind elaborating? The Nexus is one of the phones I was looking at.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

No. It's a Galaxy S2, but with a huge screen, a bigger battery, and a stylus.

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think the Galaxy Note might be a bit excessive. They are pretty damn big. But, if you really do want a bigass screen, it is the way to go.

Your desire for a biggish screen pretty much limits you to Android. The iPhone's screen is comparatively quite small, so you might not be into that. In your situation, I'd consider the following:

HTC One X (not sure if it's out yet... should be soon): Nice polycarbonate/ceramic, unibody enclosure. One of, if not the best screen available on a smartphone right now. Decent battery life, a good skin, good camera.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus: If the idea of pure, undiluted Android appeals to you, this is your only choice.

Sony Xperia S: Nice design with great build quality, good interface skin, awesome camera, great screen, and probably the single best commitment to OS updates out of any Android manufacturer.

Samsung Galaxy SIII (if it comes out in time): Personally, I'm not a fan of this new Galaxy phone. But, it might well work for you. In terms of raw power, it's definitely on top of everything. Screen isn't as good as the One X, I personally don't like their skin (touchwiz), or the styling of the hardware. But, again, your mileage may vary.

I'd also give a Nokia Lumia 900 a try. Windows Phone is a pretty awesome OS, though it definitely isn't as prevalent as iOS or Android. The Lumia 900 has a decently big screen, some of the best phone design in existence, amazing ergonomics, and stellar build quality. The hardware isn't as powerful in terms of raw specs as the Android flagships... but that doesn't necessarily matter if the OS is efficient. I think it's at least worth trying one out.

I can't really comment on carriers, as I'm in Canada.

floobie on
    I'll try to get to an AT&T store (they are the only ones who have the note correct) sometime soon to check out the Galaxy Note, see how it feels in my hand and such. Thank you for the other suggestions.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    floobie wrote: »
    Sony Xperia S: Nice design with great build quality, good interface skin, awesome camera, great screen, and probably the single best commitment to OS updates out of any Android manufacturer.

This seems pretty wrong seeing as how the Nexus is made by the same company that makes Android...

I'd have to recommend the Galaxy S2. Everything that's great about it has been well documented already, and I've had an incredibly positive experience with it. The GS3 is out soon, general consensus so far seems to be that it's a good phone, but not worth spending a lot to update to if you've only gotten a new phone recently.

What about the carriers in terms of data plans? I have verizon right now and they are..alright. Is one of the providers better when it comes to smartphones then the others?

Tav wrote: »
    floobie wrote: »

This seems pretty wrong seeing as how the Nexus is made by the same company that makes Android...

I'd have to recommend the Galaxy S2. Everything that's great about it has been well documented already, and I've had an incredibly positive experience with it. The GS3 is out soon, general consensus so far seems to be that it's a good phone, but not worth spending a lot to update to if you've only gotten a new phone recently.

The Nexus devices are effectively reference devices that will always be updated with the newest, raw version of Android (up to a point). Out of all the manufacturers that skin the interfaces on their devices (ie. every single Android phone in existence save for the Nexus devices), Sony appears to have made the strongest commitment to keeping their devices up to date.

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    If you want lots of data, I've got T-mobile, which is one of the few that has unlimited Data, sorta. It drops to lower speeds after a few gigs, but you don't get charged for it.

As for which OS, I highly recommend going to Best Buy or something, and really playing with every phone. Get an idea what YOU want your phone to do, and just try them all.

I've got a HTC HD7 with Windows Phone 7, and I love it, but i reconize it's not for everyone. All the OSes are good, and it really depends on what you want.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    edited May 2012
    I went and looked at some phones today. I think I like the Android interface better then the Windows Phone. The Note is nice but at the same time I think I want to avoid AT&T. I am actually looking at US cellular which is a regional carrier. I am considering waiting for the S3 or at least an announcement on the release date.
    ETA: How many gigs do people find themselves going through on an average month with their phone?

Neaden on
    I literally just upgraded my plan from 500mb to 1gb per month, and only did that to see if I could guilt my carrier into giving me more data (success!). So, anything is possible. If you use wifi when you can and don't stream a crapload of videos, keeping it under a gig is easy. Hell, keeping it under 500mb is pretty easy. Regular surfing and e-mail use very little data, in my experience.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm about halfway through my billing cycle and have used ~175MB (iPhone 4). My biggest bandwidth draws are using Pandora on car trips and the occasional Netflix TV episode. If you aren't traveling a lot and there's wifi most of the places you go, you can easily stay under 250/500 MB in a month.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    I went and looked at some phones today. I think I like the Android interface better then the Windows Phone. The Note is nice but at the same time I think I want to avoid AT&T. I am actually looking at US cellular which is a regional carrier. I am considering waiting for the S3 or at least an announcement on the release date.
    ETA: How many gigs do people find themselves going through on an average month with their phone?

Regional carriers will typically offer the "flagship" phones at a subsidized price much later than the major ones. US Cellular is probably not one that I would use, as their 3G data is going to be slooooow, and it is hard to find unlocked CDMA phones.

I used roughly 400MB of data last month. It would take seriously heavy usage (lots of streaming video or tethering) to go over 1GB I think.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? It's really hard to talk about carriers without it.

a5ehren wrote: »

Regional carriers will typically offer the "flagship" phones at a subsidized price much later than the major ones. US Cellular is probably not one that I would use, as their 3G data is going to be slooooow, and it is hard to find unlocked CDMA phones.

I used roughly 400MB of data last month. It would take seriously heavy usage (lots of streaming video or tethering) to go over 1GB I think.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? It's really hard to talk about carriers without it.

I currently live in Chicago but I am going to be moving to northern Illinois soon.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    a5ehren wrote: »

I currently live in Chicago but I am going to be moving to northern Illinois soon.

Ah. Well in Chicago I would say to go with Verizon or AT&T to get that sweet, sweet LTE coverage. I'm not sure how far out of the city that extends, though. T-Mobile and AT&T will probably have HSPA+ (what they used to call "4G") out there, so I'd probably go with one of those. Sprint and Verizon's 3G speeds are really slow, so I wouldn't use either of those if you can't get 4G coverage.

a5ehren on