As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotorStorm - High Above The Mucky Muck

DewtheKingAJDDewtheKingAJD Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
MotorStorm is out today, and has met with better reviews than expected.

82568-5-2.jpg

82568-4-2.jpg

motorstorm3.jpg

GameRankings List

"Motorstorm delivers hard-core, pulse pounding, off-road racing. Grit, mud and gas envelop the players in a game that leaves the standard rules of racing in the dust. Gone are the limits of power restrictions, limited classes, and qualifying rounds. Players simply choose their vehicle from a massive range – including dirt bikes, ATVs, sand rails, rally cars, monster trucks, and everything in between..."

I have played the demo to death, and just went and picked up my copy. I know GDC is going on atm, but whenever people start getting their copies, we should start burning up the online circuit. My PSN ID is in my sig and just let me know if you add me by mentioning you are from PA.

I am looking forward to the rally cars and dune buggies, but not so much the trucks and bikes that were in the demo.

banner.jpg

PSN ID : DewtheKing

Playing: The Red Star, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
DewtheKingAJD on

• FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What kind of reviews were you expecting? Seeing the trailer for this game is the only thing that has ever made me feel like I'm missing out not owning a ps3.

Food on
  • DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm torn on buying this today :( I wanna get it and I can afford it, but I'm not 100% sold on it. I just don't wanna get bored of it in like a week and just not play it again after that. I would be very sad. I intend on playing it online alot, but I also don't want online to get stale since there are only 8 tracks. DECISIONS DECISIONS!

DarkSymphony on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm kidnapping this thread. It's now the official MX vs ATV: Unleashed-thread.

Seriously though, is the graphics anyway near the E3-target render?
    MX vs ATV is better.

RichardTauber on
  • Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I ordered a PS3 today in the UK, and i played Motorstorm demo pod on a 42 inch plasma screen....

I immediately ejaculated into my pants at how smooth and fast it is...

Then they put Virtua Fighter 5 on and i almost died of sex overdose.

And im a 360 fanboy.... (sic: should read F4N80i)

So yes, yes it's like the render.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah the game looks pretty awesome. I sucked at the demo, until I realized that the game has almost nothing to do with just trying to blast past other racers and much more to do with having fun with the physics of the cars and the track. It plays much differently from your standard arcadey racer. I'm actually pondering going out right now and getting it.

Okay, I'm going.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • FatBabyFatBaby Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope to be getting this soon. Can't say when though, but I am pumped to play it.

FatBaby on
    steam_sig.png
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why is someone in that second picture riding what appears to be a Triumph Thruxton? that's not a dirt bike

This does look pretty fun. Too bad I don't know anyone with a PS3.

Fats on
  • Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am getting this, but won't play it until after I finish God of War 2. But it is awesome. Kinda like offroad Burnout.

They should add a Crash/Destruction mode next time just for the hell of it.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This looks sweet, but it really bothers me that there's so few tracks and no offline mutliplayer. I hope it's like $20 when I pick up my PS3.

bruin on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MotorStorm is out today, and has met with better reviews than expected.

[im g]http://www.gamepro.com/screens/110673/82568-5-2.jpg[/img]

[im g]http://www.games.net/screens/110673/82568-4-2.jpg[/img]

[im g]http://www.ps3lair.com/images/screenshots/games/large/motorstorm3.jpg[/img]

GameRankings List

"Motorstorm delivers hard-core, pulse pounding, off-road racing. Grit, mud and gas envelop the players in a game that leaves the standard rules of racing in the dust. Gone are the limits of power restrictions, limited classes, and qualifying rounds. Players simply choose their vehicle from a massive range – including dirt bikes, ATVs, sand rails, rally cars, monster trucks, and everything in between..."

I have played the demo to death, and just went and picked up my copy. I know GDC is going on atm, but whenever people start getting their copies, we should start burning up the online circuit. My PSN ID is in my sig and just let me know if you add me by mentioning you are from PA.

I am looking forward to the rally cars and dune buggies, but not so much the trucks and bikes that were in the demo.

Okay... the game is out and has been in reviewers' hands for a long time. Can we finally stop posting pre-renders and render-targets as screenshots? I've played the game, that's not what it looks like. It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look like that.

It looks like this:
    motorstorm-20061208053723768.jpg

which is still damned pretty, but not quite as perfectly polished.

Anyhow... I move the thread title be changed to "high above the mucky muck" :P

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Squirrly99Squirrly99 Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Nice referrence to the "D"

Squirrly99 on
  • DewtheKingAJDDewtheKingAJD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Played the first two levels earlier, and the first level blew me away. This game is much better than the demo. The levels are much bigger, at least the first one, than I expected. The physics are pretty solid too, as well as the changes in the track lap to lap. Playing it a bit later tonight, and I will try to edit some more impressions later.

EDIT: Alright, some more impressions. Brynstar is right as well, about the difficulty in picking a direction with the right vehicle. That is the biggest frustration in the game I think. I prefer the buggies, but when you get knocked off your course or make a wrong turn, you are cursing the screen because of the difficulty you are having maintaining your lead. I played 2 races online last night and one room was almost full at 276 and the 3-4 other rooms had on average at least 150+ in them. The people I played with were not bad, and the only hiccup I had online was on my second race, the person in 6th place must have dropped, because I finished 5th and 6th. All in all, it is a game that I play to have fun and you do not take very seriously. Both times online, I didn't finish the race and I was running against buggies, bikes, atvs, and rally cars. I tried an ATV the second race and I hated it, so this game is built for fun, in which you pick the type of vehicle you like to drive, and then do your best on the tracks while enjoying the carnage.

DewtheKingAJD on
    banner.jpg

PSN ID : DewtheKing

Playing: The Red Star, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Played the first two levels earlier, and the first level blew me away. This game is much better than the demo. The levels are much bigger, at least the first one, than I expected. The physics are pretty solid too, as well as the changes in the track lap to lap. Playing it a bit later tonight, and I will try to edit some more impressions later.

I agree. I've played through the first three tickets (of twenty-one), and the game plays more smoothly than the demo. Although the game mechanic relies on finding the right path for the right vehicle, you can totally ignore that if you're feeling insane. So if you want to try going through the big mud sections with a bike, you can, it's just really challenging. I haven't tried the online yet, but so far I'm having fun with it.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, they really need to turn off the motion blur for screenshots. That makes the game look absolutely god-awful, compared to the videos that make it look sexy.

zilo on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    EDIT: Misread.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png