The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Prepaid cellphone plan in the US

12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend is going to stay in San Francisco for the next two months, she'll be leaving in a week. We were wondering what kind of options there are for her to have a prepaid cellphone plan, including data if possible.
She has a EU-spec HTC sensation, which supports the following frequencies:

HSPA/WCDMA:
Europe/Asia/T-Mobile US: 900/AWS/2100 MHz
Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
850/900/1800/1900 MHz

The main draw for her is using Google Maps for Navigation.

I was also wondering is there is any good Navigation app for Android that does not rely on an internet connection - I am an iPhone person myself and actually use iGo since two years when travelling through Europe, but for my girlfriend that question did not come up yet. If such a solution would be cheaper than a data plan, we might go down that route.

davidoc0.jpg
12gauge on

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    T-Mobile has some really great pay-as-you-go plans, but I don't know if they'll work with that particular phone. You may want to call/email their American customer support to find out.

• 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    T-Mobile has some really great pay-as-you-go plans, but I don't know if they'll work with that particular phone. You may want to call/email their American customer support to find out.

Will do, thanks. I did actually look into the plans that T-Mobile offers prior to creating the thread - how does prepaid work on a monthly basis? Also, I did see this here:
    Monthly Plans: Features available for 30 days; if sufficient account balance, plans automatically renew at the end of 30 days. If balance is insufficient to renew for 60 days, account will be converted to Prepaid - Pay As You Go.
    Does that mean I put on $30, switch to the plan, once the month is over repeat?

The 100 minutes/5GB data plan would sound great otherwise.

davidoc0.jpg
  • GaardeanGaardean Registered User regular
    12gauge wrote: »

Will do, thanks. I did actually look into the plans that T-Mobile offers prior to creating the thread - how does prepaid work on a monthly basis? Also, I did see this here:
    Monthly Plans: Features available for 30 days; if sufficient account balance, plans automatically renew at the end of 30 days. If balance is insufficient to renew for 60 days, account will be converted to Prepaid - Pay As You Go.

Pretty much, or just get a $60 card and she'd be covered for both months up front. She'll also need to get a Sim card, a little chip that goes under the battery, either from a T-Mobile retailer or she can call customer service, there's usually a $5-10 charge for this.

steam_sig.png
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Gaardean wrote: »

Pretty much, or just get a $60 card and she'd be covered for both months up front. She'll also need to get a Sim card, a little chip that goes under the battery, either from a T-Mobile retailer or she can call customer service, there's usually a $5-10 charge for this.

Cool - I saw that they charge 6 bucks for it, no problem here. Looking at Google Maps, finding a t-mobile shop should also not prove too difficult.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • GaardeanGaardean Registered User regular
    Gaardean wrote: »

Cool - I saw that they charge 6 bucks for it, no problem here. Looking at Google Maps, finding a t-mobile shop should also not prove too difficult.

Call ahead to verify that they have individual pre-paid sims available. Official stores usually have them, but if they're just a retail franchise, they may not carry them. The alternative, if you can't find one that carries sims by themselves is to buy the cheapest pre-paid phone you can find ($10-20) and just use that one.

steam_sig.png