As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Young Justice IC

SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Critical Failures
Gotham City
Gotham Gazette Headquarters

Mammoth pieces of machinery dominated the lowest floors of the Gotham Gazette. Years of increasingly poor circulation had forced the paper to abandon it's printing facility and relocate all of the printers to the main building. Several of the paper's employees were laying in heaps on the floor tied up in cords of what looked like pieces of jigsaw puzzles. Men were moving among the printer presses adjusting the machines in hurriedly, while a slender man wearing a green suit and hat watched them with a broad smile. A purple mask hid a large portion of his face but his sharp eyes darted over the room rapidly. The Riddler twirled his question mark shaped cane with a flourish before he snapped it down on the concrete floor with a loud crack. Every eye in the room turned toward the sudden noise. "What is a seven letter word for brilliant?"

The henchman stared at one another with confused expressions and the Riddler's smile faded. "It's Riddler you brainless oafs."

The Riddler twirled his cane and began pacing the floor again. "Just finish setting the printing presses. I want to have my special edition waiting on every doorstep in Gotham in the morning morning."

Metropolis
The Carter Residence

A collection of clothes in varying states of unkemptness lay scattered across the floor of Daniel Carter'sbed room. The floor was littered with an assortment of refuse and objects that created a sort of mine field of debris for anyone attempting to reach the bed. In fact the only part of the room that was clean was a wooden shelf crowded with several highly polished football trophies.

Atop a dresser decorated with empty Soder cans and a teetering pile of dirty plates a golden robot was droning on it's mechanical tone. Skeets halted in the middle of it's speech and turned to look towards it's intended audience. "Daniel are you listening?" The droid floated a few inches closer to Daniel.

"Booster instructed me to review the capabilities of the Supernova suit with you, he will not be pleased if you remain ignorant of how to operate it."

Somewhere Above El Paso, Texas

A bleary eyed Jamie Reyes wats watching the blurred landscape of Texas passing by far below him through the large windows of the the Bug. His mentor Ted Kord who was seated at the controls nearby stifled a yawn with his blue gloved hand. He looked at Jamie guilitly.

"Sorry to drag you out this late Jamie, I promise we'll get you back before sunrise. Booster insisted I bring you along so he can show us something. Hopefully it's just his new uniform." The Beetle veered sharply to the left knocking Jamie around in his seat.

Carpenter Lake Nature Preserve

Twenty miles outside of Detroit hidden among the towering trees and shimmering lake of the nearby nature preserve it was hard to imagine a major city was so close by. It would have been even more difficult to imagine a stranger group to be visiting such a place than the pair standing out on the dock stretched over the lake. One of them appeared to be nothing more than an athletically built young man. The other was covered from head to to in a second skin of glowing metal.

"People with abilities like us are walking talking disasters waiting to happen. That means we have to be in complete control of our powers at all times. One mistake could cost hundreds of innocent lives." The metal skinned man's tone was serious.

Captain Atom nodded towards the lake in front of them and smiled. "That's why I brought you out here Jason. No one is pointing a gun at you and there aren't any lives on the line. You can relax and try to get a handle on your powers without any of the usual distractions."

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
GM of Dresden Files Low Life
GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
GM of Wyvern Watch
Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
Sakutian on

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jason looked at the silver skinned superman next to him, and listened carefully to his words. He knew that this was a big deal. Captain Atom was in the big leagues, he'd heard that nobody even knew what the superhero could do, or if he had any limits. If so, for him to help out Jason made sense, he wasn't sure whether the Firestorm Matrix had any limit to it's power either.

This was his chance, to learn to be a proper superhero, to earn the respect of men and women like Captain Atom. He was determined not to mess it up. Jason had already used his powers in a few tough situations before, but whenever he accessed the Matrix it felt like the back of his mind was touching a vast, almost infinite void of power. Freaky stuff. Getting a handle on things would be nice. The last thing he wanted was for his new powers to wig out and put people in some serious danger.

[This "Captain Atom" is somewhat condescending and his warnings are un-ncessary. I am perfectly capable of supporting your safe use of the Firestorm Matrix.] The Matrix AI spoke in Jason's head, though he didn't hear it so much as feel the intent and shape of the words as they flowed directly into his mind.

{Quiet. This is serious. Atom's been at this for a long time, he's got a lot to teach and I don't want to miss any of it.}

Jason turned to the lake, and took a deep breath.

"Okay. So, what do you want me to do?"

Solar on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jaime looked around for a seat belt of some kind before looking back at Ted Kord, "To tell you the truth, Mr. Kord, I would hope a new costume isn't worthy of dragging us both around the US at this time of night." Jaime then fought to stifle a yawn.

[Annoyance detected towards Target: Booster Gold. Confront/Evade/Eliminate ?] The scarab's comments translated as words in his ears, but there was the usual undercurrent that sounded like another language. And they weren't audible to anyone else. Jaime had had some close calls and suspected his teachers and classmates still caught him talking to himself on occasion.

"No! Especially not the last one." Jaime turned to Ted and grinned sheepishly, "Ah, anyway if we're out later then you expect, and it is something important; I can always ask my mom for a sick note."

[Can prep/administer chemical cocktail. Effect: User remain alert until next sleep cycle.] "Wait, You can do that?"

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    "Dude, let's do it mañana."

"You've been playing videogames all day, Daniel."

"I know! I'm exhausted."

The television and console abruptly switched off.

"Hey!"

"You can play some more after we practice."

"You're worse than my mom, dude. This kinda crap is why I moved out."

"I believe you were asked to leave, Daniel."

"Whatever."

Daniel poured yet another GoldRush Energy Drink down his throat and donned the Supernova costume. He had to admit that it felt pretty damn good. He still had the physique of a pro athlete, and its abilities compensated for the knee injury that had killed his chances for college. The mask still bugged him though. Half the point of going out and doing the hero thing was people knowing how awesome you were. But no, Booster said it was way important that he concealed his true identity. As if being Daniel Carter was so great to begin with. That and while he was flying at top speed it would probably be impossible to see or breathe without the mask. Still, it was really hard to talk with the thing on, too.

Booster had also said that was for the better.

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i'm just going to assume the minions are all pretty much within swinging range so i can make full use of Takedown as part of my entrance; correct me if i'm wrong. babs can't miss these minions either

"I've got a riddle for you too," came a feminine voice from atop one of the printing presses. Everyone looked up, startled from their tasks to see a woman on the shorter side of medium height dressed in an all-too-recognizable costume. She jumped into a forward somersault, landing on the floor lightly. "What's black and blue and red all over?"

Riddler scowled, looking around at his associates, his face reddening with rage. "What are you morons waiting for? Kill the Bat brat!"

They scrambled over each other, grabbing whatever nearby weapons they could find - crowbars, folded chairs, knives, some had even brought guns. Barbara counted twelve in total, two with handguns. She grinned. This would be fun.

"Come on boys... let's dance."

They charged and the next ten seconds unfolded in a blur of motion punctuated by staccato gunshots. Batgirl swept through the thugs like a gray and black tsunami, weaving, ducking, and parrying clumsy blows with fluid ease. She went for the gunmen first. One of them went down as she bent his arm around and kneed him in the stomach. The other was quickly disarmed and elbowed in the face. Then the rest followed, one after another until all twelve of the men were on the floor around her, some unconscious, some groaning, and all of them bleeding at least a little bit. Batgirl pounded a gloved fist into the flat of the other palm with a smirk and looked over at Riddler.

"The answer was all of your goofball hired help. Are you gonna go quietly or--HEY!"

Riddler was running for one of the back exits, a heavy door that opened into one of the adjacent alleyways, his green jacket flapping.

Batgirl drew her grapple gun and aimed upward. She fired and heard the hook take hold with a metallic clink. She pulled the trigger again and shot upwards like a rocket. Her timing had to be perfect to get the precise trajectory. She clicked the release trigger as she neared the top of her arc and launched upwards into a flip, reorienting her body to face Riddler as she landed... right in front of the door. Nailed it!

"Don't be like that, Eddie. I thought we had really started to get to know each other. You know, building a rapport and stuff."

Riddler howled with rage, hefting his cane like a baseball bat, swinging at the young woman in front of him with wild ferocity. She dodged and caught the cane, yanking it forward, using his own momentum against him to both disarm him and throw him to the floor. He landed face down with an undignified thump. Batgirl put a boot on his back and pressed him into the floor, twirling the cane. "Tsk. Taking advantage of the trust we've built, Eddie. Make it up to me and tell me what the deal is with all the printing presses. You putting out a new quarterly? The Puzzler maybe? Letters to the Riddler?"
    guess i got carried away... i assumed with the defenses being so low this wasn't meant to be a challenging combat but if it was i can edit

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Firestorm

"How about we start with a bit of superhero chemistry?"

Captain Atom knelt down and picked up a flat stone that had been laying on the dock. As he held it in his palm Jason watched it begin to change. Slowly the stone turned into sand that was carried out of Captain Atom's hand by the wind. "We both have the ability to alter the state of matter by manipulating energy. That's something it took me a long time to learn to do, and to be honest I'm still not great at it."

Captain Atom picked up another stone and handed it to Jason. "Try and turn that into something else. Just keep it simple for now."

Batgirl

"If you wanted to know why I'm here Batgirl all you had to do was ask. I intended to make a few revisions to the crossword." The Riddler sounded very out of breath when he spoke. His failed attempt to flee and his brief struggle with Batgirl had clearly taxed him.

Batgirl applied a bit more pressue between his shoulders with her foot. "You broke in here just to change the crossword puzzle?"

"Not quite. " The Riddler squirmed beneath Batgirl's boot as he pulled a small object out of his coat pocket. Batgirl recognized it at once as one of his puzzles. This design was a small green cone topped with a purple question mark. The surface of the cone was divided veritcally and horizontally into two dozen identical square rows. "I trust you're familiar with my riddle boxes? Well I've hidden a few of them somwhere in the city and if Batman manages to solve all of my riddles he'll be able to find them."

All though he still sounded winded a bit of the Riddler's usual confidence had crept back into his voice with every word. "If not than the gazette will have quite a few obituaries to write tomorrow."

Blue Beetle

Clearly thinking that Jamie had been speaking to him he Blue Beetle looked at him confusedly. "Do what?"

Ever since the scarab had started talking to him Jamie had become used to having people look at him like that. "Oh, uh nothing. I guess I'm more tired than I thought."

"Anyway trust me kid if this is just a chance for Booster to show off his new wardrobe we'll both be lucky. The last time he called me in the middle of the night like this we both wound up with lifetime bans from Las Vegas."

"Trust me you don't want to know." Ted tapped a button on the Bug's control panel and the vehicle began to towards the rooftop of a large building.

"Here we are, Kord Omniversal West. I guess you haven't seen the place since they finished all of the repairs. If you're interested I can show you around the new labs while we wait for Booster to turn up."

Supernova

"If you are ready to resume your studies..." Skeet's eye suddenly began flashed a bright light and he hovered dazedly across the room until he collided with the wall.

"Skeets?"

Skeet's eye dimmed and he rounded on Danile in midair. "Unless the historical records of this time are incorrect Booster Gold will be killed in precisely twenty minutes."

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Jason took the stone, and felt the weight, tossing it into the air. Frowning at it, he concentrated, reaching back through his mind to touch the void at the end of his consciousness. [Accessing Firestorm Matrix: Molecular Re-Structuring] The AI didn't control Jason's access to the power that flowed back through Jason from the roaring emptiness he felt connected to, but it's cool, smooth voice somehow soothed and regulated the process, turning it towards a coherent force.

The stone shimmered for a second, golden crackles of light surrounding points of infinite darkness sparkling across it's surface, before it flowed and shifted, turning into a clear, flattened sphere of water that then burst under it's own weight, washing across his hand. He let go of the Matrix, and flicked the water of his hand before drying it on his shirt.

"It seems to come to me pretty easily. But I think that the AI helps a lot. I can get the power myself, but with more complex stuff the AI kind of, I dunno, just makes it easier, lets me know what to do."

• Options
    "Well that should make it a lot easier for you to learn to us your powers. Does the AI only speak to you when you're trying to access the Firestorm Matrix?"

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Jason grinned up at Atom.

"sadly not"

[shut up]

Solar on
  • Options
    Atom chuckled as he waked down the dock. "I understand how you feel, I went to one of Professor Stein's lectures a few years ago. He wasn't the easiest person to get along with from what I hear."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    "Well, he doesn't speak that much. Sometimes interjects with information or the odd comment. It's not amazing having another voice in your head, but when it comes to using my powers, he's pretty helpful. Mostly he's pretty quiet and I can shut him off if I want, too, so it's not like I have to put up with him all the time."

Jason walked down the dock after Atom, looking out across the lake. "What about you? Got anything like the Matrix AI going on? Or did you just learn it all by yourself?"

• Options
    "No, but part of me wishes I did have something like your AI." Captain Atom lifted off of the ground and floated fifteen feet into the air. "I'll never forget the first time I tried flying after the accident. I crashed straight through the roof of General Eiling's office."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Jason rose up with him, his clothing shifting and changing into his superhero costume of dark red edged with shining gold, a corona of stellar fire surrounding his levitating body.

"Did you fix it afterwards?"

• Options
    Captain Atom shook his head. "I never had the chance, he had me locked in a cell for the next two months."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    "Um, sure. I guess. It's that or stand around, right?"

He followed Ted into the building, "Anything interesting happen here since we took down Overthrow?"

[Shouldn't have left target alive. Could strike again.]
    Jaime spoke under his breath, "I'll tell you the same thing I told you then. I won't be a killer." He'd have to tell somebody about the scarab sooner or later or people would think he was loco.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jason frowned. "Two months in a cell for busting up a ceiling? Sounds pretty extreme."

• Options
    Batgirl pressed just a little harder. He was cackling a little bit and the pressure made him gasp and start wheezing. "Batman's away for the evening so I'll have to take the message." She reached down and took the cube from his hand since it was obviously the first place to start. Riddler was dangerous, sure, and when it came to his riddles he was as devious as they came, but he delighted in the thrill of the game. No doubt there'd be hidden surprises at each location.

"Are you going to give me the first riddle or do I have to break a finger for it?"

• Options
    "What? Well where is he, we gotta do something!"

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Batgirl

"Time is supposed to fly when you're having fun, but here it stands still." A calm but amused voice echoed out into the room behind Batgirl.

A young man man in a black costume stepped out from behind one of the printing presses. A long blue stripe in the shape of a bird in flight ran across his chest and shoulders. His face was mostly visible except for his eyes which were hidden behind a black domino mask. He extended his arm and Batgirl saw he was holdng a riddle box idenitcal to the one in the Riddler's hand. "I caught one of his goons planting the last of these in the broken clock tower in the amusement park. It didn't take long to get him to tell mewhere the rest of them were hidden."

"That's cheating!" The Riddler shouted as he struggled violently in a fresh attempt to break free from Batgirl.

Blue Beetle

Ted moved down the hallway at a fast pace pointing out some of the labs and commenting on the projects the company was handling. He pushed the door of one room open and flipped on the lights. The lab they were standing in now was easily twice the size of any of the others that they'd passed. Numerous circular metal containers dominated most of the room along with several long tables covered in glassware, measuring isntruments, and computers.

"Superman just asked me to take on a new project, if you'd call that interesting." There was a hint of barely restrained glee in Ted's voice. "We've been asked to help collect samples of kryptonite, but I'm taking things a step further. We're developing a treatment that will protect Superman from the stuff forever."

The Blue Beetle glanced towards one of the large containers and noticed that it was completely open and vacant for the first time. "Wait. That shouldn't be open."

Firestorm

"Well Eiling never did like having me around on his base, he thought I was too dangerous." Captain Atom soared higher as he spoke. In less than a minute he and Firestorm were flying higher than the tallest trees in the nature preserve.

Supernova

"According to hisotrical data his body will be found at Kord Omniversal West. You will not be able to fly there in time to be of any help to him Daniel." Skeet's usually upbeat voice almost sounded depressed as he spoke.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    "What's supposed to be in there?"

Jaime looked around the lab, trying to hide how nervous he felt. The scarab wasn't helping at all.

[Kord-Ted's words imply possible threat. Activate infiltrator carapace: threat scan. Follow with preemptive strike. Comply.]
    "Shut up."

"When did you say Booster would meet us?"

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Well we have to do something!"

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Blue Beetle

"There should be a meteor sample riddled with kryptonite in there. I designed these lead lined containment chambers to prevent any long term exposure."

Ted crossed over the floor of the lab approaching the open containment chamber. "Maybe I can check the log and see who ope..."

The instant the Blue Beetles hand touched the console on the chamber a current of electricity sparked off of it and up his arm. He flew backwards across the lab hitting the far wall with the force of a charging bull.

Supernova

"The phantom zone projector in your suit is capable of transporting you over the distance required in time to prevent Booster's death. However...

"However what?"

"...the device is highly complex and if you fail to operate it correctly you may be trapped inside the phantom zone. Indefinitely."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    "Come on, you're like a science guy, we can do it!"

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    "Actually I am a security android. I will however help you operate the projector."

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Jaime's head whipped around as Ted crumpled to the floor. "Beetle!"

"Armor up. Now."
    The scarab responded with an uncharacteristic, [Told you so.], as the blue and black carapace flowed over Jaime's entire body.

"Gloat later. Scan now." While using the armor's enhanced senses to look around Jaime walked over to the older Blue Beetle, "Is he ok?"
    Perception: 1d20+9 12

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jason slowly glided over the preserve, looking down at it's natural beauty. With his new powers he could head out and see stuff like this all the time, but as a city kid the quietness of the preserve still felt somewhat strange, though not in a bad way.

"I guess he was scared. A lot of people seem scared of, well, of guys like us. I can understand that. I wish they weren't, but I can understand it. I guess I'm even a little nervous of what I can do myself."

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Firestorm

"Being a little bit nervous is a good thing Firestorm, it shows that you understand how powerful you've become. I'm hoping these training sessions will... do you see that?"

"What?" Firestorm turned his gaze in the same direction as Captain Atom and spotted a trail of smoke rising above the trees.

"Looks like a campfire be out of control, we'd better check it out." Captain Atom rocketed off in the direction of the smoke. Firestorm soared after him and in a minute he found himself soaring above a roaring inferno on the ground below. A trio of campers were standing at the heart of the fire looking around futiley for an escape route.

Captain Atom pointed at the trapped campers and shouted so he could be heard obove their yelling and the cracklingfire. "You get those people out of there and I'll put out the fire alright?!"

Blue Beetle

[Kord-Ted's life signs appear to be stable.]

A sudden boom like an explosion and the sound of shattering glass from somewhere close by made Jamie turn towards the noise.

[Readings also indicate a powerful engine has just been activated somewhere in the vicinity. Reccommend pursuit.]

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    "For once we agree. Vámonos!"

Two translucent blue wings grew from the back of the carapace and Jaime sped off towards the 'engine.' The armored superhero careened off a few walls until the scarab gave some suggestions for better maneuvering through the enclosed corridors.

[Sensors detect source 30 feet and closing. Recommend deployment of lethal force.]
    "No. I'm not going to rush in shooting to kill. Non-lethal only."
    [Activating energy cannon: output below lethal levels.] The armor of his right arm reconfigured into the energy weapon, the aperture glowing a bright blue as it activated.

The newest hero in the Blue Beetle legacy swooped around the corner, cannon at the ready. The scarab, as always, was scanning for threats and targets.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Batgirl couldn't help but smile. His grin was infectious. "Let me guess," she said, lessening the pressure on Riddler, "you took the liberty of casing the remaining locations and they're pretty well guarded so you need me to come in and save you from an epic butt-kicking. Do I have it all right?"

The man she knew to be Dick Grayson just grinned even wider. "I was going to phrase it as an invitation to cut loose just like old times, but hey, you got it more or less."

"Only if you beg," she said half-jokingly, finally pulling her boot off of Riddler's back. She unceremoniously yanked his arms behind him (he yelped a little bit) and slapped a pair of bat-cuffs on him. Then she did the same to his ankles. "Don't earthworm away now, Ed."

She turned to Nightwing and pulled out her grapple gun, aiming for the skylight. Moments later the two were standing atop the Gotham Gazette building, Nightwing scanning the city skyline with a pair of binoculars and Batgirl waiting with her arms crossed. "Well? Where are we going?"

• Options
    Blue Beetle

As soon as he rounded the next corner the Blue Beetle knew he wouldn't have needed the scarab to tell him what the source of the disturbance was. A cloud of flame and smoke was bellowing out of the back of what looked like a rocket the size of a large motorcycle. There was a woman sitting astride the machine wearing a leather jacket, a helmt, and a pair of heavy goggles.

She turned and blew a kiss towards Jamie. "Catch me if you can bug boy!"

The rocket's engine roared again and a fresh jet of fire erupted from it's rear as it soared out through the shattered window.

Batgirl

"Where knights and dragons clash hidden from the moon and stars." Nightwing folded the binoculars in half and tucked them into his utility belt and removed his grapple gun. "The Riddler's men hid one of those boxes in the Knights Dome. Guess he's not much of a sports fan."

While he was fitting a grapple into his gun he glanced at Batgirl with his usual grin. "Do you remember that time we snuck into the stadium and watched the game from the rafters?"

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    "Just help me with it, okay? Jeez."

Skeets walked through some of the finer points of the Phantom Zone projector, and Daniel seemed to get it.

"This will be extraordinarly difficult, Daniel. Are you ready?"

"Yeah. If Booster bitches out on me like that I'm going to go back on unemployment."

"Very noble. Put on the cowl. You'll need it to protect you from further negative affects of the Phantom Zone Projector... and other things."

Daniel begrudgingly pulled the suit's cowl over his face.

"Affirmative."

"Much better.

Daniel, now well-disguised as Supernova, activated the Phantom Zone projector. In a flash, he and Skeets found themselves nearly two thousand miles away...
    extra effort - power!

extended (limited to extended) teleport 10 added as an AE for Phantom Zone projectors

spend one hero point to remove fatigued

extra effort - rank +1

an extended teleport 10 has an effective distance rank of 18, and increased with extra effort, this will be 19 - which is 2,000 miles. enough to get from New York to Albequerqe

Daniel will arrive at Kord Omniversal, fatigued... and also dazed and vulnerable for one round due to making an extended teleport (see pg 120)

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    "I..what... Hey!" Jaime flew out into the New Mexico night after the roaring rocket.

Chasing the leather-clad robber, he could see the distance between the two growing.
    [She is getting away. deploy energy cannon.]
    "And probably kill her." [Acceptable.] "Not to me! ... If only we could go faster."

[Ion booster engaged.] A rocket booster assembly extruded up out of the scarab on Jaime's back. It activated with a whining hum and a burst of pale blue fire, thrusting the armored hero high into the sky. With the extra speed, the Blue Beetle closed the gap, "Shut it down and land. Before I make you." The young lady's only response was to flash him an upthrust middle finger and open the throttle to maximum.

"Ok, enough nice guy," Jaime growled under his breath. [Energy Cannon?] "No. Show me where the fuel line is on her rocket."

A section of the rocket's fuselage was highlighted in his vision and a sharp blade grew from his wrist. Cutting off the flying vehicle as its rider tried to lose him, Jaime plunged the blade into the metal as close to the indicated area as he could reach.
    Attacking the rocket: 1d20+11 19

Took some liberties here, let me know if anything should be modified/changed/removed. :)

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Firestorm nodded and called "I'm on it!" back to Atom, sounding perhaps a little more confident than he felt. Quickly he racked his brains for a way to get the civilians out of there. He couldn't exactly blast the fire out, not without risking hurt to the trapped people. Phasing would help him, but not them. His super-strength also wasn't up to much use here. But the most powerful part of the Firestorm Matrix was transforming atomic structures into different forms, and creating them too. Quickly, an idea came to him.

{what do you think about a platform? We could lift them out from the fire, and towards safety}

[That certainly seems to be a suitable solution to our task. I suggest a platform constructed of a solid, insulated material such as concrete.]

{Right}

With that, Firestorm flew down to the patch of un-lit grass where the trapped campers were. "Don't worry, I'll get you out of there! Just stay calm!" He raised his hands, concentrated, and attempted to transform the ground beneath the feet of the campers into a platform of concrete that he could use to lift them up and away from the danger.
    Okay so that's a use of my create power to just create a simple circular platform. I have the moveable extra so I can then fly upwards, towing the platform and the civilians on it to safety. Oh and that's a 14 on a presence check as well, just to try and keep them calm while I help them out.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Barbara bit her lip. It was the only indicator that the question had been any more significant than a question about the weather or her favorite band. She took the binoculars from him and peered at the Gotham City Knights Superdome. She frowned. The spotlights around the dome were spinning slowly which meant tonight was a home game. What was the connection between the football stadium and the Gotham Gazette?

"When Knights and Dragons clash hidden from the moon and stars. It seems too obvious. We're missing something."

Knights and dragons clash... moon and stars...

Something nagged at the back of her mind.

Then a lightbulb went off in her brain.

"The Gotham Observatory!" she blurted. "Tonight's the unveiling of the new telescope at the Gotham Observatory!"

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Batgirl

Nightwing tucked his grapple gun away and sighed. "Alright but we'll never get up to the observatory in time to check the whole place before the unveiling if we're on foot. I hope you have something fast and loud parked nearby."

Supernova

As a wave of vertigo washed over him Daniel found himself struggling not to throw up in his mask. He felt as thoug he'd been just sprinted the length of a football field a dozen times in a matter of minutes. Skeets seemed to have suffered no ill effects from their brief journey however. The golden android was floating around the plaza outside of the enormous building they'd appeared in front of excitedly.

"We have arrived at Kord Omniversal West, excellent work Supernova. Your discomfort will pass momentarily.."

The sound of a roaring engine and shouts coming from above them drew Daniel's eyes up. He could see a woman riding a rocket who seemed to be trying to escape from some sort of heavily armored insectoid.

Skeets flew several feet higher before floating back down and hovering around Supernova. "I believe we can safely assume following those individuals will lead us to Booster as soon as possible.

Firestorm

One of the trapped campers turned and started to run towards the edge of the fire when he saw Firestorm approaching them. A second camper grabbed him by the shoulder and hauled him backwards with some difficulty. "You heard the man, just stay calm and he'll get us out of here."

A moment later the grass beneath them hardened and turned a light grey color. As the circular platform lifted off of the ground and moved safely away from the fire the campers looked down at the ground below in awe.

Meanwhile Captain Atom blasted a wide circle in the ground around the fire sending up a wave of loose dirt. The soil quickly extinguished the flames leaving only wipsy trails of smoke behind.

Blue Beetle

As his bladed arm sank into the metal of the rocket like it was made of paper Jamie was pleased when he saw a cloud of smoke issuing out of the gaping hole he'd made. However the vehicle showed no signs of slowing down. The rider shot a glance at the Blue Beetle over her shoulder and smiled.

"Looks like I'll need my bug zapper." She drew a pistol from a holster on her leg twirled it on her finger and fired a bolt of electricity back towards the Blue Beetle.
    Rocket Toughness Check: 22, it is even so the rocket takes no damage this round. Lucky rocket.
    Roxy's Attack: 20.

If Roxy's attack hits go ahead and make a Fortitude or Toughness check against an Affliction of rank 17.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    The electricity washed over the Blue Beetle carapace harmlessly, discharging into the night air. Jaime still flinched and fell away. "Ahh!"

[Energy insufficient to damage carapace. Continue pursuit.]
    Jaime set his jaw, stifled a retort, and said, "Just activate the cannon. Low power, I don't want to blast pieces of her all over the sky."

As the blade reconfigured into the ranged weapon, Blue Beetle put on a burst of speed and spiraled back towards the woman. Coming up underneath her, he rolled on his back and leveled the energy cannon at the rocket's underside. He triggered a single shot, a clean hit just forward of the flame-spewing nozzle.
    Fortitude: 1d20+12 21
    Attacking the rocket (Blaster): 1d20+12 22 Damage: 8

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The nozzle of the rocket erupted in a scorching burst and smoke partially swallowed the form of it's rider. She pressed the vehicle's straining engine and urged it on even as it groaned in protest.

"You'll have to do better than that!" She laughed as she tossed the flaming scraps of her coat back towards the Blue Beetle.
    Rocket Toughness Check: 18, it suffers two degrees of failure and a -2 resistance to further damage. I'm also applying a Dazed status meaning it can't do any fancy tricks and can only make a basic move each turn.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    "Don't tempt me!" [Application of 2.0 standard weapon power at location alpha would eliminate target.] "You're not. helping."

Jaime shot again, but the erratic movement of the damaged vehicle threw off his aim and the energy blast went wide.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Don't I always," Batgirl replied with a grin. She looked over the side of the building and down into the alley. Parked behind a dumpster was what appeared to be a motorcycle with black and yellow trim and the all-too-familiar bat scalloping. She descended the building with a few quick, short jumps and pulled the helmet off the back seat. When Nightwing landed behind her a second later she tossed it to him. "Safety first," she said, straddling the bike.

• Options
    "Affirmative."

Daniel waited for the world to stop spinning after the gut-wrenching teleport, and sped off in the direction of... whatever the hell that was.
    Supernova is fatigued and flies at speed 6 instead of speed 7

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Firestorm moved away from the fire, putting some distance between the platform and the smouldering ground. Slowly he lowered it to the ground, then dropped down nearby and walked towards the campers, hands raised to show he meant no harm. "Don't worry, you're safe here. Did you see anyone else who needed help?"