As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

stop using this thread, new thread made [MLB]

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    And fuck no not Quality Starts, get that arbitrary bullshit stat out of here. Seriously.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't really like quality starts but I'm not sure what to replace it with.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i am open to changing it when and if someone makes a compelling case for a replacement or having only 5 pitching columns

we have over a month to figure it out

proceed

• Options
    by what method can we capture the average draft position of the entire player roster on a specific date in time?

do they let you export that or do you have to just look it up

i assume its a moving number since drafts are always going on

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Is there any way for someone like me to get into the fantasy league?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I think inherited runners scored would be fine to replace TB, not to do something that TB does, but just as a good stat for pitching.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Inherited runners scored would be too many stats for relievers.

• Options
    i don't want a stat that is too hard to research

i'm not aiming for sabermetric purity

if i was we wouldn't even have ERA

QS over a broad sample size is a fairly valid marker for pitching quality

and it's no more invalid or irrelevant to a specific pitchers performance than Runs are to a given batter

• Options
    There's sabermetric purity, then there's stats that are godfuckingawful, and QS is the latter.

But I'll go with it I guess. Are we getting a belt this time around?

• Options
    Yeah, what prize am I going to win when I repeat?

• Options
    depends on how much money I have in September

i would like there to be a physical trophy of some variety

• Options
    New team name: ARod Invisible Touch. Man the 20 character limit sucks.

• Options
    What if we pooled money together or somesuch. Or is that not welcome?

• Options
    I'm ok with pooling money for a prize but it can't be mandatory. I don't want this to turn into a paid league where you have to put money in to play.

• Options
    http://www.decadeawards.com/baseball-trophies.html

Those are decently priced and neat, I think. Don't know anything about the legitimacy of the site, though.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i am open to changing it when and if someone makes a compelling case for a replacement(...)

There are 10 position player starting spots that play every day while there are only 8 pitcher starting spots that do not play every day.

Or replace QS or wins, because both are fairly arbitrary, with home runs allowed. Or in addition to that change WHIP to Walks or BB/9. Or in addition to that replace wins or QS with IP.

I might go with IP, K, HR, BB/9, ERA, NSVH (if I had to). That way there's still plenty incentive to pitch relievers, and to start enough starters. With IP you'll get awarded for not just meeting the minimum and you get away from Wins or quality starts or any of that BS. You all the essential parts of FIP in some form, Ks, HRs and BBs. You'd be rewarding starters more for racking up Ks while relievers would still be viable with BB/9, then you have ERA so you're factoring actual runs allowed. And then the other one.

Suggestions!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I agree with Schide mostly, but I'd personally keep WHIP.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Marth wrote: »
    I'm not sure why the Mariners were compelled to keep King Felix even though they can't reasonably compete for a pennant in the next 3 years. And no one's going to take on that salary if they try to trade him anytime soon.

Ill chime in here. The Ms have probably the number 1 overall pitching farm system in the league right now. The prospects are said to be 1-2 years out. So by 2015 Felix could have another super ace caliber RHP and a very strong ace caliber LHP behind him. They also have two shut down closer prospects and 3-5 more strong Reliever/3-5 role pitchers. They have a young catcher who is a decent hitting prospect who may come up early as he is tearing it up. They also traded to get Morse back. The Ms farming system is one of the best in the League right now and that is what we, as Ms fans, have been waiting for. They also moved the fences in a bit at Safeco.

It is also a strong opinion that the Ms paid the man because he is one of the top 5 pitchers in the whole league since he came up and has not stopped being a work horse (5 straight years 200+ IP). This is personal opinion but I also think the Ms paid the man because Seattle loves him and for once we locked down a young top tier talent instead of dicking them around. It could come back to bite us in the ass but as a lifelong Ms fan I am happy the Ms are spending money. Even with this contract signing the Ms will not be terribly high on the payroll side and still have "cap room" available according to prior years.

• Options
    TINSTAAPP

Although I'm also hoping for the same in regards to Pirates prospects, so we're pretty much in the same boat.

You know, expect for the ace already on the team.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    TINSTAAPP

Although I'm also hoping for the same in regards to Pirates prospects, so we're pretty much in the same boat.

You know, expect for the ace already on the team.

Ahhh nice. Well Walker (RHP) and Hultzen (LHP) are both 1 round picks :)

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    bR93Iqk.jpg
    CC Sabathia

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Guys we're not doing a trophy for the winner.

We're getting a belt. A Championship Belt.

I am a proponent of just buying a kid World Heavyweight Championship belt, writing SE++ KEEPER CHAMPION on a piece of duct tape, and slapping it on.

Mostly because I am lazy, but it'd totally fit.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    Black spraypaint that son of a bitch NWO style.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Black spraypaint that son of a bitch NWO style.

YES

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    Guys we're not doing a trophy for the winner.

We're getting a belt. A Championship Belt.

I am a proponent of just buying a kid World Heavyweight Championship belt, writing SE++ KEEPER CHAMPION on a piece of duct tape, and slapping it on.

Mostly because I am lazy, but it'd totally fit.

I will pitch in money for this.

• Options
    it is unlikely i will accept money for a trophy

i'll look into these stats later

is BB/9 even available? didn't see it when I looked yesterday

• Options
    Yeah it's there. I made to be looking at the stats when writing that post. It's listed as walks per nine innings in the selections between hits per 9 and no hitters.

• Options
    I just dropped QS outright

I'm OK with having only 5 pitching columns I guess

BB/9 seems too close to WHIP to have both

this doesn't get set in stone until the draft begins so, that

• Options
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmkkuCZ1Um-odGl5eGw0bnc2RDhKeTlGNXBCRnVMVXc&usp=sharing

someone do formatting based on this concept

if you need edit access PM me your e-mail address

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    BCmpWwqCQAAC0N7_zpsff22f76c.jpg

I do not approve of this.

• Options
    i do

now maybe brian wilson will get his shit together and shave off that abomination

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i do

now maybe brian wilson will get his shit together and shave off that abomination

Settle down grandpa.

• Options
    I don't even know who that is.

• Options
    Schide wrote: »
    I don't even know who that is.

Tim Lincecum doing an Amanda Bearse impression.

• Options
    Crazy

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Tim lincecum still looks like a pretty lady to me. Just less flowing now.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    for as good as I think our keeper rules concept is

it is hard as shit to completely explain without being confusing

• Options
    What the fuck? I don't know if I can play in a league run by a commissioner who doesn't love Brian Wilson's beard.

• Options
    Jasc is worse than Mr. Burns acting like Steinbrenner.

• Options
    Put my keepers in.