As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] of Cables: Persephone's Kiss [Cycle End: Recovery]

1242526272830»

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Rend

Its still a game you are playing with people and they should still be treated like fellow players. When I play Risk I don't go around threatening fellow players if they don't help me win the game. I also don't whisper to other players how much a douche someone is being because they are still thinking about and/or debating with me about the merits of helping me.

Sportsmanship should still exist inside of phalla.

Yes, it should. Plainly and simply.

But in phalla, threatening fellow players unless they agree to help you win is kind of a legitimate strategy, and while "douche" is a pretty caustic word, when the primary mechanic of a game is talking to someone, words like "obstinate" etc. are pretty much it.

What I mean to say is we adopt a new persona whenever we enter a new game. Getting mad at someone is certainly something you can do, but don't stay mad after the game!
    We have these things called "grudges" dont know if you heard of them. But phalla is absolutly not played one game at a time with everything refreshing. There is a meta game aspect that we all play into. Same if you say _____ is always evil, or you vig someone day one because they got you a few games back.

• Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Maybe it was because I was neutral, or maybe it was because I only talked to Saber, but I had a pleasant experience with the infobroker faction. We traded info for info the entire game, and it was pretty cordial. Even the first day when Saber straight asked me for my info we were able to negotiate peacefully. It all came down to whether you believed their wincon in the first day or two. If you didn't buy their wincon, then I could see trying to stonewall them. Otherwise, being able to tap into their wealth of info is a huge boon.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    nah

I agree with bedlam

You three were incredibly goose-ish to anyone who wouldn't give you exactly what you wanted right when you wanted it. You guys threatened and tried to forcefully coerce a lot (not all) of the players in the game to give you what you wanted without giving anything in return. I even pointed out that neither REG nor Alegis helped with my VEER wincon the first day (all it needed was a simple post), so why would I help with your VEER wincon for nothing? I got absolutely no logical response besides: "give us your info or else we might get mean".

And when people didn't immediately give into your demands, oh man. Like in my case it took a couple hours and some discussion for me to come around, but I eventually did help you guys. Then post-game I look at your proboards and you guys called me a "douche" and said I was being "obstinate" during that time. Really?

Not cool. You three were royal geese this game.

I debating responding to your comments Obi, but since I thought we had a fairly fruitful working relationship in this game, I really wanted to. I can't speak for the interactions that either REG or Alegis had with anyone, but I didn't expect any of the people I interacted with (including you) to give up something for nothing. And as it happened, no one really did. When we talked on day 2, I asked if there was anything you wanted, you asked for some information on people in the real, we had a quick negotiation and we both got what we wanted. In various forms, that's how 95% of my interactions went with people.

I will absolutely admit that I said:
    Obi is fairly powerless at this point.

I'm fine with burning Obi if he continues to be obstinate.

I needed your name, and at that point the only way to get it was either to make a deal or kill you. Luckily, we made a deal and we both went away happy. I certainly didn't mean to be derogatory towards you personally or your play. I was really just telling my teammates that I was ok with killing you if we couldn't make a deal.

Yes, there was some more caustic language thrown around. Even though it wasn't from me, I'm still sorry that it occurred on my proboard.

The general way that some of the rest of my team was reacting was why I contacted you again and asked if there were any other favors you needed. You asked me to help keep you alive, and when your name came up in conversation I repeated my stance that you were a neutral and not a threat. Even though that turns out to not have been totally true.

i'm sure there's been some caustic language thrown around about me over the course of this game as well. I'm sure I've earned several grudges as well. But the truth of the matter is that I tried hard to treat everyone with respect, even if I was planning on having them killed or not helping them. That's generally how I would have hoped to be treated had the roles been reversed.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I have no problem with how the information-gatherers acted. Yeah, trading stuff is cool if you can. But your ultimate goal is to win, and if you have to be pushy or threaten people, so be it. You can throw a fit all you want, too.... just don't let any real negative emotions pass on after the game, since it is just a game.

Except for me. It's my life.

:P

I don't think I said so yet, but thanks for running, INANTP! It was a fantastic game, some really good ideas, and some utterly fantastic multimedia narrations (that part just blows my mind)! Good show, I look forward to your next one.

Also, I had the best role. For the VOID!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Reading through you guys' proboards, it seems like REG was pondering handing me over to some group to kill?
    Frownsies, man.

• Options
    Reading through you guys' proboards, it seems like REG was pondering handing me over to some group to kill?
    Frownsies, man.

Really? I thought you'd be used to it. Most games, all the backtalk is just deciding who gets to kill you :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Frownsies, man.

Really? I thought you'd be used to it. Most games, all the backtalk is just deciding who gets to kill you :P

1) Why do people want me to die?
    2) I don't usually remember to read proboards after the fact.

• Options
    Frownsies, man.

I was just kidding....

I have no idea if people try to kill you more than normal haha. But you should do what I do with proboards, just do a search for your name :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    Frownsies, man.

I was just kidding....

I have no idea if people try to kill you more than normal haha. But you should do what I do with proboards, just do a search for your name :P

I may have to do that. Sometimes I feel like people have it out for me and am totally unsure as to why, or if I'm just being paranoid.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    We all got together last week behind your back and decide we hate you, TRV.
    I abstained cuz I wuv you! ;-)

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    stever777 wrote: »
    We all got together last week behind your back and decide we hate you, TRV.
    I abstained cuz I wuv you! ;-)

Do go on 8->

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    nah

I agree with bedlam

You three were incredibly goose-ish to anyone who wouldn't give you exactly what you wanted right when you wanted it. You guys threatened and tried to forcefully coerce a lot (not all) of the players in the game to give you what you wanted without giving anything in return. I even pointed out that neither REG nor Alegis helped with my VEER wincon the first day (all it needed was a simple post), so why would I help with your VEER wincon for nothing? I got absolutely no logical response besides: "give us your info or else we might get mean".

And when people didn't immediately give into your demands, oh man. Like in my case it took a couple hours and some discussion for me to come around, but I eventually did help you guys. Then post-game I look at your proboards and you guys called me a "douche" and said I was being "obstinate" during that time. Really?

Not cool. You three were royal geese this game.

I debating responding to your comments Obi, but since I thought we had a fairly fruitful working relationship in this game, I really wanted to. I can't speak for the interactions that either REG or Alegis had with anyone, but I didn't expect any of the people I interacted with (including you) to give up something for nothing. And as it happened, no one really did. When we talked on day 2, I asked if there was anything you wanted, you asked for some information on people in the real, we had a quick negotiation and we both got what we wanted. In various forms, that's how 95% of my interactions went with people.

I will absolutely admit that I said:
    Obi is fairly powerless at this point.

I'm fine with burning Obi if he continues to be obstinate.

I needed your name, and at that point the only way to get it was either to make a deal or kill you. Luckily, we made a deal and we both went away happy. I certainly didn't mean to be derogatory towards you personally or your play. I was really just telling my teammates that I was ok with killing you if we couldn't make a deal.

Yes, there was some more caustic language thrown around. Even though it wasn't from me, I'm still sorry that it occurred on my proboard.

The general way that some of the rest of my team was reacting was why I contacted you again and asked if there were any other favors you needed. You asked me to help keep you alive, and when your name came up in conversation I repeated my stance that you were a neutral and not a threat. Even though that turns out to not have been totally true.

i'm sure there's been some caustic language thrown around about me over the course of this game as well. I'm sure I've earned several grudges as well. But the truth of the matter is that I tried hard to treat everyone with respect, even if I was planning on having them killed or not helping them. That's generally how I would have hoped to be treated had the roles been reversed.

You're right, Saber. Our conversations and stuff were good and you absolutely never demanded something for nothing. So I shouldn't have lumped you into those comments I made. While it did happen on your proboard and stuff, calling me obstinate is not all that bad, tbh.

The calling me a douche and demanding stuff of me came purely from Alegis. REG lost control on day 2 or whatever but even then thats just the game. Kime does similar stuff all the time. So, I guess my beef is really only with Alegis. Our PM conversation was annoying and very one-sided but I thought it was just the game at the time, then I look at your proboards and he's calling me a douche. That just really got to me for some reason.

Again, @SaberOverEasy, I'm sorry for lumping you into those comments in the previous quote. You didn't deserve that. Although, you are gonna get grudged for shutting down RENDDEAL without even talking to me first. :P

• Options
    Not sure if this was clear, but I killed you, @vagrant_winds. You were asking about it earlier...

And @SLyM, your death really was an accident :(. I didn't want to kill the kitties!

Steam profile
  • Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Although, you are gonna get grudged for shutting down RENDDEAL without even talking to me first. :P

That does seem only fair. :P

SaberOverEasy on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Frownsies, man.

That never happened, I think you're reading it wrong.

To those so upset at conversations with me, it had to be public (excepting @void slayer because he was a straight goose in PM with me) because I never privately threatened anybody, not even Bedlam.

I played my wincondition. And if you'll recall on day 2 I asked about how those types of rage posts go for me. It's not intended as a way to save me, it's intended as a way to re-focus the village faction on who was tossing those baseless and absolutely rediculous accusations at me. I can't believe how much smokescreen was able to be put by people who felt threatened and were randomly burned.

Info brokering is cool, and sometimes in phalla you just have to trust what people say. Think about it logically, does it make sense? One person info brokering is far more suspicious than a pair of them. I never sold WN or AAOU to any other faction member in an attempt to get them killed and with cooperation or using our seers I never would hav had to.

You can't really tell me what I was thinking/doing, I only had two days to work and a lot of people are getting bent out of shape over things that didn't occur. Grudge if you must, but Rend is right here. He represents the voice of reason.

• Options
    I could have misread it. I can't pull up proboards on my work machine, so I can't quote anything. Either way, I'll take your word for it.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    If it read that way, it certainly wasn't intended. You disclosed everything to us and helped me get a murderation. Then I gave you a win. I probably took more than I deserved.

• Options
    I'm always more than willing to work with people who are willing to help me out in return :) I think it ended up decently well for both groups heh. Except for you getting offed anyway