As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Older games and XP

HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
So recently I played the CNC3 demo far too much and got the urge to fire up some older version of the series to tide me over. I own the collection but sadly was unable to find anything for Tiberium Sun other than the expansion. So I decided to go a little further back when I ran across all three CDs for Red Alert. Won't install. Everytime I run the setup it immediately gives me an error.

Well, fine I head back to the boards and read a few more threads. As a result of the Bioshock thread I decide to install my copy of SS2. It installs fine and boots up with no problem. I'm thinking I'm home free. The first level loads and I shortly come to find out that the in game speed is determined by what is showing on the screen at any given time.

If I walk down the street in that intro level and it runs reasonably normal. If I then turn around and walk down the street while looking down, I go from one end to the other in about two seconds with the street I'm looking at appearing as a blur and my footsteps sounding like a drum roll. What confuses me greatly is that I know I've run SS2 on this machine in XP before with no problems. The only thing that has really changed is that I upgraded my videocard awhile back. I read a few threads online and saw some suggestions about compatibility mode. It still runs if I try that but the first level never actually loads, it just goes to a black screen and locks up.

In the past I'd heard horror stories of XP and older games but I just kind of shrugged them off since everything I had tried had always worked. Apparently that was foolish of me and XP really doesn't like some of the older games.

So I was thinking ITT we share stories of older games that are quirky or just flat out will refuse to run in XP and possible workarounds to that.

For now, I play Renegades. At least it's an amusing offshoot of the C&C universe ;-)

HappylilElf on

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You would think more people would know about the "Through the Looking Glass" website.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The speed of this forum with helpful replies really never ceases to amaze me :lol:

Actually though that's where I found the compatibility mode advice. Never found anything on those boards that fully fixed the speed issue for me though. I've kind of given up on getting it to run normally on this box. I have an older PC I may end up installing Win98 on just to play it but I don't have the space to set it up right now.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Grim Fandango does not work for me. Granted, what I tried was a demo that came with some other game I bought (I think it was Full Throttle, which is an awesome game). If I don't get to play this someday I'll kill myself. I'll check out that link now.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mikesta wrote: »
    Grim Fandango does not work for me. Granted, what I tried was a demo that came with some other game I bought (I think it was Full Throttle, which is an awesome game). If I don't get to play this someday I'll kill myself. I'll check out that link now.

Well, that link has nothing to do with Grim Fandango.

Find a good fan site for Grim Fandango, and inquire there.

august on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Red Alert works for me (on 2k) by running in compat. mode with NT4.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had a hard time getting the sound in the Doom demo to work. It was the version for Windows...otherwise I would have just used DOSBOX.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ha! The good news is that it doesn't give me the error box if I try that. The bad new is it just gives me a different one that tells me to insert the CD. :P

Awesome avatar btw

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This thread is a good place to mention that DOSBox has very recently been updated to 0.70 with massive speed updates.

And all the Command & Conquer games work in XP, how well they work is an entirely different matter :P

(Command & Conquer might randomly crash, or get random graphics corruption, Red Alert might randomly crash and if you're going to play Red Alert 2 or Tiberian Sun, there's a huge chance you'll run into some slowdown. Of course, you might be lucky and avoid all those issues)

Zell on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I had a hard time getting the sound in the Doom demo to work. It was the version for Windows...otherwise I would have just used DOSBOX.

Is there a .wad file anywhere? If so, you can just use one of the many source ports instead.

evilmrhenry on