As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - Extra Credits Season 2, Ep. 16: Graphics vs. Aesthetics

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
image[PATV] Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - Extra Credits Season 2, Ep. 16: Graphics vs. Aesthetics

This week, we discuss the important difference between the often-confused "graphics" and "aesthetics."

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    griffinanimatorgriffinanimator Registered User new member
    Sigh... I rigged those characters.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Sigh... I rigged those characters.

which ones?

• Options
    MoggMogg Registered User regular
    Sorry but PaRapper the Rapper looks like crap compared to Golden Axe Beast Rider. You picked bad games to compare.
    True, graphics help a game be better if fit to the story/music/play. Graphics generally doesn't make a game - generally. There are exceptions.

• Options
    Katamari23Katamari23 Registered User regular
    Thank you PATV, I've been trying for ages to articulate the reason why I hated The Warrior Within despite being a huge Prince of Persia fan. It was crappy aesthetics! Persian hero + metal music = WTF.

• Options
    FreakyCheeseManFreakyCheeseMan Registered User regular
    Maybe you had to play it, but... just from the images of Parrapa the Rapper, it looks quite ugly.

• Options
    brutedawgbrutedawg Registered User new member
    I played a lot of qw team fortress growing up and I remember seeing that screenshot of 1999's TF2 in a magazine. Then almost a decade later, I was blown away by a much better delivery. Kudos on that TF2 bit at the end.

• Options
    ferretbaconferretbacon Registered User new member
    Excellent distinction. I don't know if anyone else would agree, but one of my favorite games from the N64 (and one of my favorite games period) was Ogre Battle 64, and I think part of the reason I love it so much is because of its fantastic aesthetic design. While graphically weak compared to recent games, I enjoyed the look of Ogre Battle 64 so much that I wouldn't mind a modern RPG/TBS game to be made with its art style. Man, I need to go find an emulator now. Got me a hankerin' for some Ogre Battle.

• Options
    padoylepadoyle Registered User regular
    Okami HD came out and as soon as I started playing it I thought "This is what Okami was always meant to be..." Such a great example of using graphics to IMPROVE aesthetic rather than replace it. Even if you feel like the HD remake trend is a money-making scheme, it's hard to deny that Okami HD was a gorgeous realization of what the team at Clover wanted to deliver