As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Re-installing windows

Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter ShillRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so, my dad in his infinite senile wisdom decided to completely wipe his computer, of everything, windows, just make the computer completely useless. He didnt know how to do this of course, so he paid someone to do it. I'm pretty sure he was influenced by those god damn commercials about making your computer faster and shit. So my mom has asked me to help fix his computer because im the one in the family who "knows a lot about computers." I don't really know anything, other than how to use google.

Anyway, so now I need to figure out how to reinstall windows for my dad. If he had the original installer cd that comes with his computer that would be pretty easy I assume, but he doesn't have anything. I'm aware that I might beable to download some sort of windows installation program and burn it to a cd or something? Maybe? Is there a way i can do this without paying money, say for an older version of windows. (He really wont notice).

Anyway tell me what to do guys.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
Element Brian on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Ok, so, my dad in his infinite senile wisdom decided to completely wipe his computer, of everything, windows, just make the computer completely useless. He didnt know how to do this of course, so he paid someone to do it. I'm pretty sure he was influenced by those god damn commercials about making your computer faster and shit. So my mom has asked me to help fix his computer because im the one in the family who "knows a lot about computers." I don't really know anything, other than how to use google.

Anyway, so now I need to figure out how to reinstall windows for my dad. If he had the original installer cd that comes with his computer that would be pretty easy I assume, but he doesn't have anything. I'm aware that I might beable to download some sort of windows installation program and burn it to a cd or something? Maybe? Is there a way i can do this without paying money, say for an older version of windows. (He really wont notice).

Anyway tell me what to do guys.

He has nothing left with regards to windows? No manual? No CD?

Then, no. You need a serial key, and that is usually listed on the CD sleeve. And with regards to "making your computer faster and shit," that is exactly what a format and fresh install will do, especially if you're the average (or below) joe-user and know very little about keeping an efficient file system.

And who did he pay to do this? He paid someone to come over, right-click on his drive, and format it? Because the proper way is to format along with the windows installation, which I suppose is not what happened. You are going to need a copy of Windows. I really don't know about a legit digital version existing these days, but if there is such a thing, you will need your serial key.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Find the license key that's affixed to the PC, it will identify what version of Windows he had, and then you'll either have order installation media or possibly download it from Microsoft.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I went through this myself recently. If you lost the disc then there really is no way to do what you want for free, not legally anyway. Turns out you can't download windows from the Microsoft site unless you buy a new key to go with it. Good news is once you get a new disc installing windows is pretty easy, just a few clicks then leave it to do its thing, downloading the service packs and patches will take some time though.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Find the license key that's affixed to the PC, it will identify what version of Windows he had, and then you'll either have order installation media or possibly download it from Microsoft.

Affixed where? Unless he is rocking a Dell computer, you will not always find a key sticker on your tower. And if it is a Dell or similar, there very well might be a recovery drive anyway.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Ruckus wrote: »

Affixed where? Unless he is rocking a Dell computer, you will not always find a key sticker on your tower. And if it is a Dell or similar, there very well might be a recovery drive anyway.

The OEM versions of Windows 7 come with a sticker that has to be affixed to the PC case to make the license valid. And I'm pretty sure he has a manufactured PC, since the OP mentions "If he had the original installer cd that comes with his computer that would be pretty easy I assume, but he doesn't have anything".

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Or switch to Linux, install from USB drive. :)

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Or switch to Linux, install from USB drive. :)

Agreed. Especially if your dad doesn't really know what he's doing and is prone to pay people to eradicate his hard drive.
    Ubuntu isn't difficult to get used to at all after Windows, so he shouldn't have a hard time.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    All Dell, Lenovo, HP, Sony, etc computers are required to have the OEM sticker on the laptop or desktop. Usually its on the right cover, top, or back of desktops (sometimes on the removeable left door on the inside). And underneath laptops. It can be under the battery as well (which is a good idea as it prevents it from getting rubbed off).

Then you just need to borrow a disk from a friend to reinstall -OR- boot to the recovery partition if it has one.

Keep in mind that there is no 32 or 64 bit license that a Windows 7 Home Premium (for example) license can be applied to a 64 or 32 bit install.

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    You probably will need more than just windows to fix your dad's computer, like drivers, probably download them from the manufacturer's website if you know what computer in general you are dealing with. If this a custom made machine, there is a good chance you need to open it and see what type of video card, and motherboard there is inside.

The easiest way?, go to www.amazon.com and buy Windows XP or Windows 7.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Edition-Service/dp/B00022PTRU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1339113206&sr=8-7

Another option, like some have suggested, go to http://www.ubuntu.com/, download an iso of the latest distro, burn to a CD/DVD and install Linux in your dad's machine.

Good luck

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!