As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - Extra Credits Season 3, Ep. 18: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
image[PATV] Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - Extra Credits Season 3, Ep. 18: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

This week, we try to figure out exactly what it was about the new Deus Ex game we liked so much.<br /> Come discuss the topic with us in the <a href="http://extra-credits.net&quot; target="_blank">forums</a>!

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    Overseer76Overseer76 Registered User regular
    SPOILER: The backstory of Underworld: Awakening (known to most, but officially "revealed" in some ads and the first five minutes of the movie via voice-over) will be spoiled below. If you know NOTHING about this movie, read no further.

I recently watched the latest Underworld movie, and it occurred to me that each film somehow avoids the most interesting parts of the overall story. That is, the social and political conflicts that arose between the factions involved that led to the conditions seen in the opening scene. It does make for an interesting story by forcing the audience to struggle to get up to speed on recent events, but the use of this plot device in the Underworld series always makes me feel like there was enough going on to populate another entire movie, only to be reduced to an expository speech.

Awakening, for example begins long after humans have figured out that they're not alone. Granted, what they do is predictable, but surely there was some tension regarding how the secret got out, how widespread the "problem" was, the fact that lycans AND vampires have been hiding, what to do about it, how to ensure total eradication, who would be in charge of such a coordinated global endeavor, etc. Any and all of that could make for compelling cinema IMHO. But apparently there aren't enough explosions, supernatural slow-mo melees, and 3-D "gotcha!" opportunities available in such a socio-political exploration. I'm not exactly upset by that. It's a fine film. I just feel that they missed an opportunity to put such a revelation on screen. Every other horror movie has the supernatural element remain a secret to humanity at large or feature some human hunters who know what to do. To my recollection, no human in the Underworld series has ever been shown to be aware of The Undeworld before now.

If you haven't gleaned the connection to Human Revolution yet, I'm saying that I'm glad this game made an effort to showcase the growing pains inherent in a world where something as world-changing as cybernetic augmentation is a growing trend. It's the journey that makes for a compelling story. To quote myself at age 7. "I like taking a bath, and I like being dry. It's the transition that's a killer." Or, to quote myself at age 25 "I don't want to GO home, I want to BE home."

Apologies for the wall-o-text...

• Options
    PaullicinoPaullicino Games person LondonRegistered User regular
    Probably the best Extra Credits yet. Great stuff.

• Options
    chavezheraschavezheras Registered User new member
    Nearly all the questions you guys think DEHR rises, though very interesting, are in my view completely absent from the game. How exactly does Jensen opens the question of social exclusion and asymmetric development by means of technology? These concerns, or at least a very basic, often very simplistic version of them, are spoken throughout the game by incidental characters. The protagonist itself is never really a part of these issues, nor do these come up as integral to the narrative, which for the most part is dressed as politically relevant or socially astute by random mentions of the ethical implications of transhumanisim. The game pretends to be about ethics, but ethics is not a substantial part of gameplay, not even in a crude Bioshock good/bad sort of way.
    In a few words, I think your take on the game is by far more interesting than the game itself.

• Options
    FinaldeathFinaldeath Registered User new member
    Multiple choice endings seem to be the norm now. ME3 did it too.

• Options
    kingcethkingceth Registered User regular
    @Finaldeath Mass Effect 3 could've been so much better had it been determined by the choices you made over the last 5-6 years. But they had to blow it didn't they.

• Options
    lordhobanlordhoban Registered User regular
    Nice overview, but in the end, I found Deus Ex 3 rather disappointment. I like the overall aesthetic, and the augmentations were well designed, and the dialogue capability was nice.... but the overall plot in the end, wasn't all that interesting, and certainly lacks very many twists and turns or the fun consperiecies... Plus, the opening and end levels were sooooo dreadfully bad. When the game starts off badly and ends badly, first and last impressions, how can that be anything more than disappointing? If the middle had been a phenominal as it had the potential to be, maybe it could have overcome such a dreadful beginning/ending. As it is, it just left a subpar taste in my mouth.

• Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Apologies for being very, VERY late to the party, but at the time this episode aired, I had not yet played Deus Ex: HR. During my second playthrough, I stumbled across another reason this game might have appealed to you that didn't come up in the video: thematic immersion via the augmentation tree.

In the video, you speak of the themes of the game, about trans-humanism and about the emerging gap technology creates in the development of the species, as portrayed in the game. And of course, there's the story development regarding Adam's separation from humanity, to the point where numerous people who have worked with Adam at Sarif, do not recognize him the first time they see him after the augmentation.

But in my mind, the key to all of this is that this theme is strongly conveyed through gameplay - not necessarily the moral choices of lethal vs. non-lethal aggression, sneaking missions, etc, but the augmentation mechanic and the corresponding tech tree. When you begin the game, the "rules" of the Deus Ex world are clearly established: this is how you move, shoot, etc., these are the circumstances under which enemies do or do not see and react to your presence, these are the places you can and cannot go.

After establishing these rules in the opening sequence, Adam's initial augmentation yields instant results by changing the rules of gameplay. You now have a radar HUD for monitoring NPC movement, you can hack certain doors, you can do takedowns (particularly effective conveyance if you exercise his blade options). The game also presents you with numerous clear demonstrations of your limitations. You COULD move this dumpster but it's too heavy. You COULD hack this computer but your level's not high enough. You COULD leap over this fence but it's too high. You COULD break through this wall but you lack the proper augmentation.

As the player explores his other upgrade options, he also sees that he can hack more easily with hacking stealth, get a cloaking device, access the Typhoon weapon, armor himself against damage, suppress gun recoil, etc. As the game difficulty ramps up in later missions, some of these upgrades could be viewed as essential. In any event, because the player needs an advantage in certain situations, or wishes to complete the game in a certain way, or simply wishes to experiment with the options available to him with certain abilities, he will explore the various augmentation powers. Changing his character's abilities changes the gameplay rules to which he is constrained, and this is a direct metaphor for Adam acquiring new abilities to complete his mission, in a way that would not have been available to him prior to his augmentation. He uses the technology to make himself something more than what it previously meant to be human.

In the Deus Ex story, Adam is the bridge between what humanity was before this technology existed, and what it becomes when augmentation is commonplace. In the gameplay, you control the choices that drive him to ascend to the next level, which in turn reflects how you as an individual react to the ramifications of integrating this technology into humanity. This immerses the player into the character in a strong fashion.

TheSchaef on
  • Options
    interfecterisinterfecteris Registered User new member
    Hey guys, great job on this video, it highlights a good number of things that are awesome about this game. I just thought I'd add some clarification to the deus ex machina comments in the video. The part about the origin of the phrase is dead on, and I'm glad that was properly represented, as often it goes inaccurately explained.

The game's use of the title, though, was a little off. Yes, it was a dual statement about men becoming gods through machine, but the other part, about the story including the deus ex machina, is a misrepresentation. The second reason for the title, is actually poking fun at terrible plot lines that use deus ex machina, and the creators, much like Horace would, were intentionally making the game that combats that by excluding this mechanism in their plot.

You stated that Daedelus was an aspect of deus ex machina, but for that to be the case, Daedelus would have had to "swoop" in and resolve the plot at the end, which isn't what happened. He was simply a "god-like" interaction, divine intervention, if you will, to push the plot in certain directions. Divine intervention alone is not enough to call a plot mechanism deus ex machina, as humans "spoke to gods" in many of the classic stories that were craftily constructed to avoid the one-dimensionality of the cheap plot tactic, but they still received direction from the deities in some way or another..

Now, that being said, I have no idea how old this video is, or if the EC crew (or anyone) will actually read this, but I felt like the clarification shouldn't go unstated. So, I hope it's seen, but it's such a small detail, no one would probably care anyway!

I literally started watching these videos from season 1 ep. 1 yesterday, and i'm trucking through all of them because I love this stuff. My friends will soon see all of it as well- we are in school for animation/game creation already, but the clear, well thought out videos are very good at demonstrating important aspects of games, production, animation, direction, and art in general- WHILE being hilariously entertaining, so I applaud everything I've seen from you guys and it's now time for me to hit the "next" button to watch the next video.

• Options
    agentwredagentwred Registered User new member
    Well it didn't go unseen interfecteris, as I just read it. Though I kind of assumed the title was to poke fun at the use itself of deus ex machina, despite the fact that they didn't actually say it.

• Options
    padoylepadoyle Registered User regular
    I own this game, started it a while back but put it down for some reason.

Time to go back and play it.

• Options
    boing102boing102 Registered User new member
    Could you explain flaws in Star Wars prequals? Everytime when I hear someone saying they suck, I cannot ever get proper explanation...