As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making an inside dog an outside dog *can be locked*

ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I know I posted something about a dog a few weeks ago and it didn't go well, but I have learned my lesson. I would appreciate any help on the following situation.

My wife and I recently moved into a new house with a big backyard. We have an Australian Shepherd puppy who is roughly 4 1/2 months old. We got him when he was 8 weeks old and he was living on a farm before that, so he's actually much more comfortable outside.

We've had him as an inside dog for the past two months, but we know that he would be happier outside and running around than cooped up inside our house, which has a lot of linoleum and hardwood floors. We neither want him scratching those up or trying to run around and play, only to slide all over the place and fall down. Seems a bit mean. Every time I take him outside to use the bathroom, he runs all over the place and generally has a much better time.

Background: We will be getting a 6 foot privacy fence around the yard pretty soon, so I'm not worried about strays or other animals bothering him. We wouldn't have him on a line of any kind. We would get him a dry place to sleep and would obviously keep him well fed.

Considering that he will be protected by a fence, have plenty of room to run around and will have a good place to lay his head, are there any safety concerns to putting what amounts to a puppy outside? I want him to be happy because I know he doesn't like it in the house very much, but I also don't want him to hurt himself. And since I didn't know any of the safety concerns with ropes and run lines the last time I posted, I figured I would ask you fine folks for your opinion on how to handle this.

EDIT: We'd probably bring him back inside during the night and/or during bad weather.

EDIT 2: Also, what are your view on kennels? These seem pretty nice.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wQSqM5IsLfo

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
ChillyWilly on

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    If he's a digger that could present a problem with escape attempts, but as long as you're not using chemicals in the yard it should be alright. If he likes to chew, get the sticks out and toss him a Kong or two.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    How big is he right now?

Depending on where you live, you may have certain animals to worry about - raccoons, possums, etc. They can get in yards even if they have large fences. Given the size that Shepherds get to, they don't really have to worry about physical danger from the small animals, but more disease if he gets bitten or scratched. You should be keeping up with his vaccines anyway, but if he becomes a mostly outside dog, you'll have to pay attention to him even more, as it's a much less controlled environment, even if it's just your back yard.

He'll need sturdy toys out there to play with, preferably stuff that can stand the weather. Try to keep him away from digging. If he's a digger, you'll need to line the fence with something. I lined my fence with cement blocks after digging attempts and it was fine.

Rope lines and etc are no good. You really don't want to keep your dog chained up outside, unless you have company or something and specifically need him to stay in one place for a short period of time. A kennel would be a better option. The one you posted a link of looks fine. Kennels are also fine, dogs enjoy making small spaces their "den" (part of the reason crate training is so effective) but it's not a place he should stay constantly.

I'm not a fan of leaving my dogs outside overnight. I do baby them a bit, but I want to do what's safest for them. When he's fully grown it's probably pretty safe. Right now, I probably wouldn't do it. General outside living is okay, though, as long as you keep in mind the things I've said.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    He is a pretty big chewer. We keep him stocked up with toys so he doesn't get any destructive urges. I haven't really noticed any urge to dig, but I also don't keep him outside much longer than just to use the bathroom and run around for some exercise.

Right now he's probably around 30 pounds. He's a Shepherd, but we think he might be mixed with Lab or something else rather large...his paws aren't much smaller than my wife's full grown Boxers right now. We estimate his max healthy weight should be around 60-70 pounds, but we're not experts by any means.

We keep up on his vaccines. Both of our dogs got their 7-in-1 less than 2 weeks after we got them. One has been fixed and as soon as the other is mature enough, he will be, too. He'll also get his rabies vaccine before we put him outside and since he's still a puppy, we've been using liquid dewormer on him every 2 weeks. If I'm missing anything here, please let me know.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    It sounds like you've covered everything. Make sure you leave large amounts of water out if you're going to be out for the day, dogs drink a ton when it gets warmer out. I assume you have some sort of flea medication you're using/are going to use since those like to stick around in grass. Same with ticks (though those are fairly rare if you're in the city).

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Yeah. Baths every week, flea medication that won't wash off every month.

• Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    We have two huskies that we keep outside all day if it's nice. We just keep some chew toys back there, a bucket of water for drinking, and a children's pool for cooling off. I had to section off a whole half of our yard because they started tearing up ANY landscaping that we had, and they've turned that area into dirt just from running around all day. Also make sure your AC unit is blocked off so they can't chew on any of the wires. I had my unit go out because our youngest pup pulled a wire out. I would also suggest burying chicken wire along the edges of the fence to discourage digging. Other than that, keep him medicated with flea and tick medicine. We let ours sleep inside in crates when everyone goes to bed.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    The other concern with a single dog outside is that dogs are social animals and will act out if left on their own, due to boredom. This is less of an issue inside since there's less stimulus, but an outside dog may dig or chew on things because they want to be around other dogs or people.

I strongly suggest you crate train your dog or get an outdoor kennel, and train your dog to use it and like it. Your dog will want some shelter where it can feel safe and secure when outside, so it's not just laying out in the open. You will also want to keep a routine with interacting with your dog, so even though you don't HAVE to walk your dog or take it outside to pee 3 times a day, you should retain that habit so that the dog stays bonded to you as a pack. It will give the dog something to look forward to throughout the day.

The other reason you want to continue training your dog and interacting with it is that if you don't, your dog will develop bad habits like barking at anyone who comes near the fence and running up to it. Dogs do that in order to alert you that something is happening, even if you're not at home.

I will also echo that it's unsafe to leave a dog tethered while unsupervised, because the dog can tangle or otherwise harm itself. I have a corgi that if she has more than 1ft of lead and is left by herself, she ends up all tangled up in it. Also, for both safety and sanity's sake, it's better to have the dog come in during the evening so that it can be around its people. If your dog is loud outside, people will report you, and if your dog is nice outside, your dog may get stolen.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    I won't be tying the dog up, believe me. The last thread taught me very quickly that this is a no no. :D

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Aren't Aussie Shepherds small and super smart? (also you forgot the obligitory pics)

Smart dogs like that can get REALLY destructive when they aren't given stuff to do. inside he may think: ok, master is away: sleepy time. Outside he may be more: ok, this fence is keeping me from the rest of my yard, escape time.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    The fact that it's a privacy fence (instead of chain link) will definitely help. I think the dog will be happy outside as long as you don't treat it like it's a burden. For example, when you're home from work and can interact with the dog, let the dog inside (or you go outside with the dog) and let the dog understand the shared space.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Absolutely have some kind of shelter for him from the elements. That thunderstorm that hits on an otherwise sunny day isn't going to wait for someone to get home so you can let the dog in.

Also, know your neighborhood brats. Children can be cruel when they get bored, and the dog usually gets in trouble for it. Put your ear to the ground and if you have one of these, or think you might, consider taking precautions. Same goes for rat-dog owners who let their aggressive little rodent-devils up to the fence because their little pookieschnookumkins "just wanted to say hi". These things can happen even though a fence, unless it's a fence with no gaps (chain-link, for example, is easy to reach through, shoot BBs through, etc.).

Okay, you may be able to tell that I'm a big-dog person and have been since I was 10. I'm not really against the idea of having your dog outdoors for hours in principle, but one of the things that large-dog owners fail to realize when they take on a bigger dog is that the world is against your animal, and that part of being a responsible pet owner and keeping those dogs safe is knowing both the dog and your environment well enough to know how he will react to whatever comes up. If you know your dog isn't really into kids, you need to vocalize that when some 3-year-old demands to pet the doggie, because your dog can't.

This turned into kind of a rant, and it's heavily biased by the fact that in my years growing up in a (doberman) rescue house I heard just about every story you can imagine where a dog was put to sleep for something that really wasn't its fault. The tl;dr is that if you have a dog who is going to be outside for even a few hours a day unattended, you may need to worry about keeping the dog safe not just from itself, but from the neighborhood. It's just something to be aware of.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2012
    Since when did Australian Shepherds become large dogs? Or do you mean "larger than toy/tiny dogs"? Doesn't change the correctness of any of your points, just curious.

Edit: nvm, apparently the distinction is adults over 60lbs are "large" dogs, and the Aussie average is in that neighborhood. I guess I've always been around "smaller" aussies whenever I've seen them and didn't realize their average was higher.

Anyhow, knowing and how your dog will react to others is a huge point that can't be stressed enough. My heeler often gets a bad rap because we don't let him be pet by strangers, so people immediately assume he's mean, and that would be bad in a world where my dog would have to live outside and might bark at passers by.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Absolutely have some kind of shelter for him from the elements. That thunderstorm that hits on an otherwise sunny day isn't going to wait for someone to get home so you can let the dog in.

Also, know your neighborhood brats. Children can be cruel when they get bored, and the dog usually gets in trouble for it. Put your ear to the ground and if you have one of these, or think you might, consider taking precautions. Same goes for rat-dog owners who let their aggressive little rodent-devils up to the fence because their little pookieschnookumkins "just wanted to say hi". These things can happen even though a fence, unless it's a fence with no gaps (chain-link, for example, is easy to reach through, shoot BBs through, etc.).

Okay, you may be able to tell that I'm a big-dog person and have been since I was 10. I'm not really against the idea of having your dog outdoors for hours in principle, but one of the things that large-dog owners fail to realize when they take on a bigger dog is that the world is against your animal, and that part of being a responsible pet owner and keeping those dogs safe is knowing both the dog and your environment well enough to know how he will react to whatever comes up. If you know your dog isn't really into kids, you need to vocalize that when some 3-year-old demands to pet the doggie, because your dog can't.

This turned into kind of a rant, and it's heavily biased by the fact that in my years growing up in a (doberman) rescue house I heard just about every story you can imagine where a dog was put to sleep for something that really wasn't its fault. The tl;dr is that if you have a dog who is going to be outside for even a few hours a day unattended, you may need to worry about keeping the dog safe not just from itself, but from the neighborhood. It's just something to be aware of.

In addition to this, also watch for the people that don't like dogs. I live off a downtown park with probably close to 400-500 apartment and condo units right next to a leashed park. It's where everyone with dogs takes them for a walk.

One of our friends had a person tease and get in the face of the dog and as a result managed to get it classified as a "risk" and kicked out their apartment. We're also talking about a 35-40 lb dog too, not huge.

That's not everyone but you need to watch out for that 1%. There is also something about a under 5 year old, want to pet our dog for the first time with that goofy nervous but happy smile.

• Options
    Thanks for all the tips, folks. Very much appreciated.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Is there a way, such as a doggie door, you can give the option for the dog to also be inside?

We have a self-closing screen door that we leave open in the summer for the dogs to use. Very handy. In our minds, you think they'd want to be outside all day. In reality, they probably still spend 80% of the time inside where it's more comfortable for them. Of course if WE go outside, that's where they want to be 100% of the time.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Gilbert0 wrote: »

One of our friends had a person tease and get in the face of the dog and as a result managed to get it classified as a "risk" and kicked out their apartment. We're also talking about a 35-40 lb dog too, not huge.

That's not everyone but you need to watch out for that 1%. There is also something about a under 5 year old, want to pet our dog for the first time with that goofy nervous but happy smile.

A guy i know's condo complex is taking a vote next week on kicking his dog out of the condo. it's a pit bull, and apparently very well behaved and has never bitten/been aggressive to anyone or anything. since that goddamn court took it upon itself to call all Pit Mixes "inherently dangerous" people are going apeshit.

Also, my dog was also never a digger, except in two spots of my yard, both right by a fence. luckily, she never got through.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    People are terrible to pitbulls.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    ceres wrote: »
    People are terrible to pitbulls.

And that's still a huge understatement. The people who live above me have one but tell everyone it's a different breed (which it's not) and it's the sweetest dog. They're likely going to get in huge trouble someday when someone calls them on it, which sucks, because it's a great dog and they shouldn't have to lie about it to have it in our apt complex. Blah.

• Options
    This thread can be locked, Ceres. Lots of good ideas here and I'll be taking them all into account.

Thanks a ton, everybody.

This discussion has been closed.