As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going to be in LA for a night, anything I should do?

SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm flying out to LA for a job thing, but will have basically a whole day to kill before my flight out. What are some cool things/tips for a first timer?

Skullo on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Skullo wrote:
    I'm flying out to LA for a job thing, but will have basically a whole day to kill before my flight out. What are some cool things/tips for a first timer?

Where are you staying in LA? What airport are you flying from?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    LA County Museum of Art is cool if you are in to art and then you can check out the La Brea Tar Pits next door. You can actually look at the pits they are excavating, which is neat if you are in to archeology. The Getty is also great for art, has a cool botanical garden and is nice example of architecture. The Griffith Observatory is now the most state of the art public observatory, but I haven't been there since before they updated it so my knowledge is out of date.

Amoeba records is a giant record store with an amazing selection. Tons of CDs and Vinyl for every genre, excellent punk, metal, hardcore, garage rock, and garage punk selections along with everything else. I've bought a Patton Oswalt album, a Dwight Yoakam album, and Iron Maiden's first album in one go there. Great used selection too.

For food there are tons and tons of iconic LA places in pretty much any cuisine. Langer's is widely considered to be the preeminent Pastrami sandwich on the West Coast and just celebrated their 65th anniversary this weekend. There's Phillipe's if you want a roast beef or lamb dip sandwich, just go sparingly on their super spicy mustard. And it's right by Union Station, Olvera Street, and Chinatown if you want to do some wandering around.

Wurstkuche in downtown does gourmet sausages, Belgian fries, and 24 German and Belgian beers on tap. Father's Office is a neat little gastropub that has two locations, one in LA proper and one in Santa Monica. They have a killer craft brew selection, a great burger, and I'm sure the other stuff on their menu is good too.

BCD Tofu House has a few locations in LA, is open 24/7 and has great Korean Tofu soup.

There's tons of other places for every style of food and price range that I'm missing, I just haven't had a chance to eat at them all yet.

Continental_Op on
    XBL - TeenageHead
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    See if anything is going on at UCB

http://losangeles.ucbtheatre.com/

LA is a hub for great comedy.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    Los Angeles is freakin' huuuuge man. so much stuff to do.

what kind of things are you generally into?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    balerbower wrote: »
    Los Angeles is freakin' huuuuge man. so much stuff to do.

what kind of things are you generally into?

It's a totally unhelpful answer, but I am generally up for whatever once you get me out of the house.

I know the OP is pretty vague, but I don't have a lot of info on anything yet, really. I was just told I'm being flown out there, and I'll have a day to kill after my appointment. Figured if anyone had something that instantly pops into mind when they think of LA activities, I'd give it a shot.

I could be perfectly content just wandering a city I've never been to, but I thought maybe someone's suggestions could give a bit of direction to that wandering.

Skullo on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

• Options

Oh, I thought I put that in the previous answer, my bad.

Flying into LAX, staying at the Comfort Inn on West 7th St.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Skullo wrote: »

Oh, I thought I put that in the previous answer, my bad.

Flying into LAX, staying at the Comfort Inn on West 7th St.

What kind of job interview makes you stay at that ghetto place?? Anyway, you're close to downtown. If you have a car, i'd hit up wurstkuche or cole's, not phillipe's. You can hop on the subway and get to Amoeba really easy, and it is an excellent record store.

Museum wise the MOCA little tokyo and dt bldgs are within your grasp, both are great. Little tokyo is a fun place to walk around, too.

fwKS7.png?1