As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jury duty and me

RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I got my first ever summons for jury duty, as per the thread title. I'm due to show up on a monday, but I'm listed as a standby. Basically, the document says I should call a listed number the night before to find out, but I have no idea if they mean business day or literal day before.

My question is this: what do I do, exactly? Is it as easy as calling up their number the evening before to find out if I'm needed?

Raekreu on

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Id call the literal day. You are likely to hear a recording anyway. (when I did it we just went in though, no calls)

I mean you could call friday and if they say come in you have time to notify your boss and thats cool, but if they dont update it till after friday then you might be a spot of trouble. Theres reall no harm in calling both days just to be sure.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    literal day before
    if you are lucky you wont even have to show up

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Definitely day beofore. They should have told you exactly at what time you should call on the day before.

I just got done with jury duty and for me it was call after 6:30PM the night before for morning reporting then after 12:00PM the same day for afternoon reporting. Even if they call you in most likely you'll just sit in a room for 5 hours so bring a book.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Definitely day beofore. They should have told you exactly at what time you should call on the day before.

I just got done with jury duty and for me it was call after 6:30PM the night before for morning reporting then after 12:00PM the same day for afternoon reporting. Even if they call you in most likely you'll just sit in a room for 5 hours so bring a book.

And in most cases you sit in a room for hours only to be dismissed anyway at the end of the day. If you get selected it can be an interesting experience though.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    The recording will say a range of numbers that have to show up at the courthouse (at least, that's how it is in MD). If you have a high number, but are still in that range, you will likely not even be called. bring a book or something, because they will likely play some old ass vhs movies as "entertainment"

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, call the literal night before (Sunday in your case). You probably won't even have to go, and it'll be a recording telling you that your pool was dismissed.

• Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    Thanks dudes and/or dudettes, you've helped me to be less anxious about the whole thing.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

And in most cases you sit in a room for hours only to be dismissed anyway at the end of the day. If you get selected it can be an interesting experience though.

I had fun when I did my jury duty. Such a surreal experience. I don't see why people try to get out of it.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

I had fun when I did my jury duty. Such a surreal experience. I don't see why people try to get out of it.

by law employers are supposed to allow you some time off to attend jury duty, but some employers are less... accommodating about it. it's also quite a chunk of time out of a person's normal daily routine.

that being said, i like jury duty too, and the whole process is fascinating to me.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular

by law employers are supposed to allow you some time off to attend jury duty, but some employers are less... accommodating about it. it's also quite a chunk of time out of a person's normal daily routine.

that being said, i like jury duty too, and the whole process is fascinating to me.

Also, while you're supposed to get the time off; rare is the case where you actually get PAID for that time off.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

On my last jury duty I proceeded as far as hearing the plaintiff and defendant give their summaries of the case. The crime was a man killing his wife in front of his toddler, then taking the toddler on a high speed car chase the wrong way on a freeway and crashing into another innocent person. The details of the events were not fun to hear. If I got selected for the jury, I would have been sequestered for something like 6-8 weeks. Thankfully, I was able to get myself disqualified, which was hard to do because everyone was trying to get themselves disqualified.

So yeah, not always a fun thing.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I got tapped for jury duty and got into the selection room where they went from juror to juror to find out background information. It was about a lady who fell in a mall and was suing the mall or something for improper safety or care or maintenance...or something.

Anyway, the plaintiff attorney for the lady told us we'd have to look at medical documentation about the injuries and the second he found out I was a nurse I got booted immediately.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Which side requested your dismissal? I'm guessing it's the side that could be hurt more by having someone around that could explain medical records to 11 of his peers. Or even the court itself, because something something HIPAA potential conflict of interest something.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

Also, while you're supposed to get the time off; rare is the case where you actually get PAID for that time off.

right. some courts give a daily stipend to jurors if the case they've been assigned lasts more than a few days. depends on the state and the court system. the stipends are usually really low, only enough to cover a lunch meal. and with many state courts seeing huge budget cuts now, i wouldn't be surprised if the stipends go away entirely.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular

MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I got tapped for jury duty and got into the selection room where they went from juror to juror to find out background information. It was about a lady who fell in a mall and was suing the mall or something for improper safety or care or maintenance...or something.

Anyway, the plaintiff attorney for the lady told us we'd have to look at medical documentation about the injuries and the second he found out I was a nurse I got booted immediately.

I was just on a cancer misdiagnosis case and neither side dismissed a woman who had a double mastectomy within the last two years that surprised all of us. I tried to get dismissed... my sister in law who is a lawyer said "if you were in my jury pool I would pick you" can't figure out if that is a compliment or not.

• Options
    GotrGotr Ms. St Louis, MORegistered User regular
    I've never been picked for jury duty and I'm very jealous! I want to go to law school in three years, and serving as a juror would be a really interesting perspective on the judiciary.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [/spoiler]