As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Selling games, maybe on Amazon. Advice?

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I am contemplating selling a bunch of games I don't play anymore. I was looking at my ps3 games, and realized I haven't played a few of them in more than a year.

I once sold a ton of games to Gamestop about a decade ago, and I will never do that again. I avoid doing business with Gamestop whenever possible. I guess that leaves the classifieds in the local rag, Craigslist, Ebay, and Amazon. I am leaning towards Amazon. Has anyone done that before? How easy it to do?

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Amazon is super easy to do. You can see the price they'll offer right up front, they pay for postage, and all you have to do is stick everything in a box and slap on the shipping label.

On the downside, they don't offer anywhere near as much money as they used to. I used to be able to buy a game on a sale and sell it back for near the price I paid for it, and once or twice I even made a profit.

Still, it's hard to beat the no fuss no muss of it.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Selling to a middleman is always going to net you less money. They have to make a profit as well and there's supply and demand.

When you set your price on Amazon, realize that just because you see it listed for one price, that doesn't mean that's what someone is going to pay. People put ridiculous prices on their shit all the time. Ebay is probably a better gauge of what something is worth. Take a look at "completed" auctions.

• Options
    Douglas, were you thinking of being a seller on Amazon or using their game trade-in program?

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Douglas, were you thinking of being a seller on Amazon or using their game trade-in program?

I didn't realize they had a trade-in program, so I was thinking of being a seller on Amazon. And I then I thought about it at work, and realized I would probably have to pay taxes on whatever I get for my games and probably do something else.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Their trade in is better than Gamestop, it was not quite as good as Best Buy, which was offering double value. I wanted to trade Prototype 2, Gamestop was offering like $18(i think), Amazon was $24(i think), and Best buy was offering $15 (but doubled, so $30).

it depends on the game though, infamous 2 currently has a trade in value of $1 on amazon. ouch.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    hm. does best buy doing their thing online too?

It is really discouraging, but not at all surprising, how little these games are worth to these companies. I don't buy new games anymore, unless it is something I really, really want and I want the carrot on a stick that is a pre-order bonus. I'm seriously thinking about waiting a few weeks for Assassin's Creed 3, because the last two games were 20 dollars at some store on Black Friday, and were 40 dollars by new years, if I remember correctly, but I want that game so desperately! And one of the pre-order bonuses is the privateer costume, which looks awesome.

• Options
    Have you considered Goozex?

• Options
    I had never heard of that until just now. I will investigate. Have you used it? If so, what are you thoughts?

• Options
    It's easy to use and makes you feel like your old games aren't as worthless, but it can be really hard to get newer titles, naturally.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Goozex has like NO traffic right now. my space in a bunch of queues hasn't moved in months.

I'm pretty sure you can only do the best buy trade in in-store.

• Options
    Trust Frenchenstein, then. My interactions with Goozex were several years ago.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am contemplating selling a bunch of games I don't play anymore. I was looking at my ps3 games, and realized I haven't played a few of them in more than a year.

I once sold a ton of games to Gamestop about a decade ago, and I will never do that again. I avoid doing business with Gamestop whenever possible. I guess that leaves the classifieds in the local rag, Craigslist, Ebay, and Amazon. I am leaning towards Amazon. Has anyone done that before? How easy it to do?

For what it's worth, I've done quite a bit of business here on the forums by just leaving stuff in my signature that I am looking to buy or sell. You could probably get a lot more via the forum.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    how would that work? do you have forumers mail you checks or do you paypal or something?

• Options
    I trade games on my other gaming forums all the time, and PayPal is almost always what's used if it's not just a game swap. Paying people via Amazon online gift cards is also really easy to do.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    If you're looking to just get rid of some games and don't really need to sell them, you can always try the "Free" to a good home thread in G&T.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    how would that work? do you have forumers mail you checks or do you paypal or something?

PayPal.

I am in the business of saving lives.