As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Went through the toll booth

GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
On my way to work the other morning I pulled up to the toll booth (GA400) behind this truck and the lady was taking a really long time. Eventually she just went through. I came behind her and tossed my 50 cents in and it came out the reject coin slot. I looked down and there was at least 15 dollars worth of quarters overflowing from it. Obviously this machine wasn't taking anyones change. I couldn't back up and go to any of the other toll booths since there was someone right behind me and it was morning rush hour. So I just went through.

Obviously, I wasn't the first and probably wasn't the last. Their machine was not working and there was no indication (the booth will usually say CLOSED above it) that this booth was out of order. Whats the penalty for going through the toll without paying? Do you think I will get said penalty for going through? Should I take any action to avoid any action being taken against me?

steam_sig.png
Grundlterror on

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You tossed your money in. If the machine, which wasn't marked as broken, didn't take it, that's not your fault. You made a good-faith effort to pay the toll.

I really, really doubt they'll go after you for it, and I wouldn't worry about it until they do.

Thanatos on
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You tossed your money in. If the machine, which wasn't marked as broken, didn't take it, that's not your fault. You made a good-faith effort to pay the toll.

I really, really doubt they'll go after you for it, and I wouldn't worry about it until they do.

And I resisted the urge to take all that money that was in the reject slot. I mean would that really be illegal though? Is it illegal to take money out of a pay phone or vending machine reject coin slot? I was kinda wondering that too as I was driving away.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know about helping yourself to loose change in the toll booth slot, but from what I understand, you can accidentally go through the tolls without paying 2x a year without consequence, and then the third time they figure hey, you're doing it on purpose, and they track you down and charge a fine. Or maybe it's 3 times through and the fourth they stop you? Either way, that's outside of extenuating circumstances like these.

Also, depending on how long your commute is, you can request an envelope at the next plaza after the toll you missed, pull over somewhere and fill out the information/put the appropriate amount of money in it, and either send it in or hand it to the next booth after that.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    I don't know about helping yourself to loose change in the toll booth slot, but from what I understand, you can accidentally go through the tolls without paying 2x a year without consequence, and then the third time they figure hey, you're doing it on purpose, and they track you down and charge a fine. Or maybe it's 3 times through and the fourth they stop you? Either way, that's outside of extenuating circumstances like these.

Also, depending on how long your commute is, you can request an envelope at the next plaza after the toll you missed, pull over somewhere and fill out the information/put the appropriate amount of money in it, and either send it in or hand it to the next booth after that.
    You are aware that all states run their tollbooths differently, right? :P

Thanatos on
  • DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Durr, sorry. I have lived in the Midwest for too long and to me "tollbooth" means I80/90. :P

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know what state you are from, but in Illinois it's not that big of a deal if you miss a toll once or twice (i've accidentally gone through the ipass lane when I didn't have my ipass on me. and have never been fined). But if you really are worried about it, your states toll website probably has a link to pay it online before they "catch" you. If you are from Illinois, you can find it here: http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=57,1302723,57_1302728:57_1302759&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

And I resisted the urge to take all that money that was in the reject slot. I mean would that really be illegal though? Is it illegal to take money out of a pay phone or vending machine reject coin slot? I was kinda wondering that too as I was driving away.
    They probably have cameras pointed at it. Good idea not to do that.

Thanatos on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    spacerobot wrote: »
    I don't know what state you are from, but in Illinois it's not that big of a deal if you miss a toll once or twice (i've accidentally gone through the ipass lane when I didn't have my ipass on me. and have never been fined). But if you really are worried about it, your states toll website probably has a link to pay it online before they "catch" you. If you are from Illinois, you can find it here: http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=57,1302723,57_1302728:57_1302759&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

The camera takes film of people moving through so they can see the license plate. Chances are that same camera will see people throwing their change through the slot, too.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • NPNP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't worry about it. As long as you made some sort of effort you should be ok. If you really want to cover your ass, then next time you drive by any toll plaza, just go to a booth with an attendant and ask them for an envelope to mail in a toll. Then you can send your 50 cents in and be completely guilt-free.

Something similar has happened to me before--the EZ-Pass reader at the toll plaza near my house was busted, and always said "Toll Unpaid" when people drove through it. There was a repair crew working on that lane every other day, but it looks like they weren't able to fix it for almost a month. I drove through that lane every single time it was open and never once got billed. Not my fault it doesn't work, if the lane light is green (or yellow, for EZ-Pass) then I'll assume that I can drive through it without any trouble. It's been a loooong time since they finally fixed the damn thing (now it only gives me the "Toll Unpaid" warning once every 4-5 rides) and I have never once gotten billed for it, so you're probably going to be ok.

NP on
  • ddahcmaiddahcmai Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wouldn't worry about anybody tracking you down. While laws probably do differ from state to state, up here in MA, you can get away with stuff like this: http://www.zug.com/pranks/turnpike/

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

ddahcmai on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You're probably on camera putting the money in so I wouldn't worry

nexuscrawler on