As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Finding a Programming Job in Western Washington?

susansusan Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello lovely PA Help/Advice Forum Residents,

My brother recently (like, this last weekend) graduated with an AA in Computer Information Technology, and now seems intent on doing the same programming stuff he has been doing for several years now but would like to get paid for it. Any advice on where to look for entry-level programming/software/etc jobs in the Seattle-Tacoma area, including the various local online job listings and resources? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Many thanks :) !

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
susan on

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    There are a ton of software companies here. Hit up the careers pages for Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Expedia etc...

That said, with an AA and no experience, he is not likely to get hired directly by any of those but it doesn't hurt to apply. His more realistic chance is to go for a contractor position to build up some experience. Check wth Volt, Robert Half, Excel and the like (there are dozens of contracting agencies).

Though even as a contractor getting a developer job directly might be a stretch. Definetly apply! But he should also look at SDET (software development in test) jobs as a first step in his career.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, and the local Help Wanteds are good places for jobs. Recruiters like to pick through resumes on the online sites matching certain criteria (that's how I got hired at my current place) and sometimes you will get a serious opportunity among the offers for a position in insurance sales.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you'd like a list of contracting/recruiting agencies PM me and I'll send you what I've got. You get a collection as a professional in the industry...