As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Card Assistance

vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, so I've got a bit of money to spend and I'm looking for a new graphics card in the $120 and less range (Canuck dollars). I currently am using a ATI Radeon x300 SE 128MB (PCI-E) which came with my computer and while it is okay I'm looking for something with a bit more power and be able to run more recent games relatively well.

Any quick video card reccomendations would be a great help, I've heard good things about the 6600 GT but are there better ones? By the way, I'm looking to run BF2, Oblivion, Company of Heroes and other such recent games with some ease. I also have a 2.8ghz processor and a 1gig of RAM.

Also, if anyone else needs some help with a video card problem feel free to ask here.

Sob24Nm.png
Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
vegeta_666 on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd suggest saving up more and making it a worthy upgrade

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I'd suggest saving up more and making it a worthy upgrade

The problem with that is at the point when I have enough money for a worthwhile upgrade many great Xbox 360 games are going to come out so I'll just be distracted by them (Mass Effect, Guitar Hero 2 etc.).

But, I do appreciate your opinion and see where you're coming from. I've actually really got three choices, save up my money for the future Xbox 360 releases, buy a graphics card now or save up a little more and get a DS.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I doubt a 6600GT would be enough to run Oblivion. I attempted to run Oblivion with two 6600 vanillas in SLI mode at 1024x768 and the game was unplayable. I have since upgraded to a 7900GT and I can run Oblivion at max settings (except grass and anti-aliasing) at 1600x1200 with a playable framerate... the fraterate still drops outside and it wouldn't be smooth enough if the game were a first-person shooter, but for an RPG it works. This was on an AMD Athlon 64 3200 with 1 gig of RAM.

I think you'll tend to underestimate whatever graphics card you need. If your first guess was a 6600GT, get a 7600GT instead (or the AMD equivalent) or better.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the problem is $120 canadian is nothing (I'm canadian) there's nothing of any value whatsoever in that price range.

Try and save $50-70 more.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aridhol wrote: »
    the problem is $120 canadian is nothing (I'm canadian) there's nothing of any value whatsoever in that price range.

Try and save $50-70 more.

Okay, I guess I'll stick with WoW+my old games for awhile on my computer. No problemo, now to decide to get a DS or not... Oh well, thanks for the help guys.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png