Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Bemoan the passing of the old thread, but celebrate the new!

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »
    Whelp, here we go...
    623OT.png
    The kicker - it's a birthday present (thanks, dear!), which means that I need to sit on the boxes for roughly 3 weeks once they arrive.

This is going to be torture. I will happily document it for you guys, if you'd like. :-p

That's basically the same system (CPU and GPU) that I put together recently. Enjoy running everything VERY smoothly at ultra settings. ; )

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    @Durinia does that mean the parts won't be assembled and tested for 3 weeks? You're likely compressing or holding your parts past the retailer return window and if you get issues (not saying you will need it, but stuff happens) you'll have to deal with manufacturer RMA instead of retailer RMA.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    @Durinia does that mean the parts won't be assembled and tested for 3 weeks? You're likely compressing or holding your parts past the retailer return window and if you get issues (not saying you will need it, but stuff happens) you'll have to deal with manufacturer RMA instead of retailer RMA.

That is correct - and I did think about that. I'll still have over a week left, so I'm fairly certain it should be fine.

It may lead me to do it during the week before instead of waiting for the weekend, however. Newegg's replacement handling is just sooooo much better that I don't want to risk it.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    As an aside...

I've been staring longingly at the parts list for the last 10 minutes. Is that wrong?

--Mark Twain
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    As an aside...

I've been staring longingly at the parts list for the last 10 minutes. Is that wrong?

Dude, the amount of time I spend staring at and messing around with my Newegg wishlists is somewhat shameful. I spend more time checking tracking numbers onn the USPS website than these forums when I have major components coming in.

I mean, if it's wrong then you're at least in good company.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    As an aside...

Not at all

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know nothing about video cards. Since it's the last part I need to get for my computer I would like to know how good is this?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    As an aside...

Dude, the amount of time I spend staring at and messing around with my Newegg wishlists is somewhat shameful. I spend more time checking tracking numbers onn the USPS website than these forums when I have major components coming in.

That's a big part of why I buy parts locally as much as possible. I'm one of the most impatient people in the world. I haaaaaate waiting for parts from Newegg. I'll gladly pay 15% more if I can drive over and pick it up, because otherwise I'll be totally unproductive for days while I stalk the delivery tracking website.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I know nothing about video cards. Since it's the last part I need to get for my computer I would like to know how good is this?

On the 1 - 10 scale of Ti-83 to holy shitballs my eyes are turning themselves inside out, it's about a 7.5... That cooler looks like it could be pretty good, but then again it's a Sapphire card, which are a lower-tier manufacturer.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What would be a good one? I have to go look at what I have since it's just sitting in a box waiting to be built.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    but then again it's a Sapphire card, which are a lower-tier manufacturer.

Come again?

It was only a year or two ago I heard people say Sapphire was the "flagship" AMD brand, what EVGA is to Nvidia.

Never had a problem with my Sapphire 6850, it was only due to my avarice and not any failing on its part that it was replaced before its time.

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »

Come again?

It was only a year or two ago I heard people say Sapphire was the "flagship" AMD brand, what EVGA is to Nvidia.

Never had a problem with my Sapphire 6850, it was only due to my avarice and not any failing on its part that it was replaced before its time.

Agreed, I wouldn't call Sapphire a lower-tier manufacturer, in my experience they release a solid line-up of cards, some with good non-ref designs. I'm not sure what you'd call a "top-tier" manufacturer, for that matter. XFX has their lifetime warranty, but they don't make as good a non-ref design as ASUS, MSI or even Gigabyte. Where does Powercolor fit in?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I've received and installed my MSi 670, and am loving the shit out of it. I set up a fan curve and (modest) overclock in EVGA's PrecisionX tool, and am looking at buttery-smooth 1080p performance with temps never venturing above 65c. In Guild Wars 2 specifically, I had to knock shadows down from Ultra to High (there was a single zone that was giving me modest framerate issues) but everything else is maxed -- FXAA, particle effects, the works. It's nice.

EDIT: it's also quite possible that my shadow framerate issues are CPU-bound (Phenom II x4 955) and not in any way related to the graphics card.

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    I'll also back up Sapphire as a perfectly solid AMD vendor. Aside from the fact that they usually have pretty ugly cooler decals, I have nothing but goo things to say about them or their cards.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    As an aside...

That's a big part of why I buy parts locally as much as possible. I'm one of the most impatient people in the world. I haaaaaate waiting for parts from Newegg. I'll gladly pay 15% more if I can drive over and pick it up, because otherwise I'll be totally unproductive for days while I stalk the delivery tracking website.

This is why I live two hours from newegg's CA warehouses. If I order something before noon it gets there the next day on a 3 day UPS delivery.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    I've received and installed my MSi 670, and am loving the shit out of it. I set up a fan curve and (modest) overclock in EVGA's PrecisionX tool, and am looking at buttery-smooth 1080p performance with temps never venturing above 65c. In Guild Wars 2 specifically, I had to knock shadows down from Ultra to High (there was a single zone that was giving me modest framerate issues) but everything else is maxed -- FXAA, particle effects, the works. It's nice.

EDIT: it's also quite possible that my shadow framerate issues are CPU-bound (Phenom II x4 955) and not in any way related to the graphics card.

I have a i7 3770k and an EVGA 670 FTW and haven't dipped below 50fps with everything on Ultra in GW2 (Super Sampling included). I'm guessing it's your CPU.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

This is a good card for $200. Better than a 560ti for less. Seems like most people here prefer nvidia but I've never had problems with any AMD card I've had.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Come again?

Agreed, I wouldn't call Sapphire a lower-tier manufacturer, in my experience they release a solid line-up of cards, some with good non-ref designs. I'm not sure what you'd call a "top-tier" manufacturer, for that matter. XFX has their lifetime warranty, but they don't make as good a non-ref design as ASUS, MSI or even Gigabyte. Where does Powercolor fit in?

Alright then, they're the greatest.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Come again?

Alright then, they're the greatest.

Nobody said that. But you offered nothing to back up your assertion that they're "low tier," nor did you offer any suggestions of what brands sit on a relatively higher tier.

• Options
    I just really don't like them. Out of 5 different cards my friends have owned, 1 ran trouble free for two years until she bought an upgrade.

So I guess I have anecdotal evidence that Sapphire cards are unreliable?

• Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    Sapphire used to be pretty shoddy a few years ago, especially with the Radeon 4800 series, but these days they seem to be doing quite well. Sapphire placed first with the lowest return rates on the most recent behardware Component Return Rate list. They were usually in the middle of the pack on most of the previous lists. On a personal note, I had two Sapphire GPUs go out on me, but that was almost 10 years ago with their Radeon 9800 pro series.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I had to return a Powercolor card 2 times because they had the wrong BIOS installed and I didn't even think to check that at the time. So they're on my avoid list, even though it could have just been an isolated incident. They did admit to it, though, so they're probably fine.

• Options
    Eh, sorry about all that snarkiness guys, I was in a shitty mood.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Opinions on Zalman heatsinks? In particular I'm looking at the ones that are neither full-copper nor tower-style, in particular the CNPS 8000B and CNPS 7500.

Can anyone vouch for them keeping up on overclocking? Or are they just for low-profile cases and I should go for the big towers?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    The Sapphire toxic 6950 2gb was one of the popular 6950s because it was relatively easy to unlock the shader clocks to 6970 levels

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Eh, sorry about all that snarkiness guys, I was in a shitty mood.

No harm done. Except to my feelings.
    Ianator wrote: »
    Opinions on Zalman heatsinks? In particular I'm looking at the ones that are neither full-copper nor tower-style, in particular the CNPS 8000B and CNPS 7500.

Can anyone vouch for them keeping up on overclocking? Or are they just for low-profile cases and I should go for the big towers?

As a rule downdraft coolers are less effective at CPU cooling when compared to tower coolers, but they do provide the chip set/VRM cooling that tower coolers do not.

I'm not familiar with the performance of those specific coolers, but I generally prefer to choose my own fan. The Scythe Big Shuriken or Prolimatech Samuel 17 are both solid.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Esh wrote: »
    Griswold wrote: »

I have a i7 3770k and an EVGA 670 FTW and haven't dipped below 50fps with everything on Ultra in GW2 (Super Sampling included). I'm guessing it's your CPU.

Yup, pretty sure you're right. Shadows are apparently CPU-intensive. Additional evidence: the card doesn't even run at particularly high temps in the area that was giving me trouble.

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

They aren't going to be able to support high overclocks. I think there was a Zalman that was decent (9500/9700?), but price/performance is going to favor tower coolers. Do you have a low profile case?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Ugh, I updated the bios on my P8Z68-v Pro because I wasnt able to get my bluetooth to work (which may have stopped working after the last time I updated the bios, but I rarely use it so who knows) and now when I wake my computer from sleep my mouse wont respond. I can use my USB keyboard, but not my wireless (via usb dongle) mouse. This is using bios v 3402. So, you know, fair warning.

• Options
    I'm not going to open my stuff up for a while after it arrives...

...and yet I'm pissed that the shipping will miss Friday and not arrive until Monday.

26329393.jpg

--Mark Twain
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I'm building my first computer, and there are these Goddamn metal tabs all over the i/o panel that are making it impossible to insert the mobo. Any suggestions for this? Can I just bend them back/break them off?

• Options
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I'm building my first computer, and there are these Goddamn metal tabs all over the i/o panel that are making it impossible to insert the mobo. Any suggestions for this? Can I just bend them back/break them off?

Are you inserting it from the inside of the case?

• Options

Y-yes

Is this wrong? I got it to fit in after bending the bigger tabs flat, did I just break my computer?

• Options

Y-yes

Is this wrong? I got it to fit in after bending the bigger tabs flat, did I just break my computer?

Nope, that's right. As long as those tabs aren't shorting anything out, which is highly unlikely, you'll be fine. Ideally the whole thing should just click into place with enough force, but some shield/case combos are just way more stubborn.

• Options

Y-yes

Nope, that's right. As long as those tabs aren't shorting anything out, which is highly unlikely, you'll be fine. Ideally the whole thing should just click into place with enough force, but some shield/case combos are just way more stubborn.

I'm assuming he's referring to the metal tabs on the I/O shield itself, in which case bending them flat is fine.

• Options
    \o/ It works! Granted, I still need to install the hard drive, and the OS and dvd drive won't arrive for a couple more days, but the mobo, CPU, and RAM all work!

• Options
    \o/ It works! Granted, I still need to install the hard drive, and the OS and dvd drive won't arrive for a couple more days, but the mobo, CPU, and RAM all work!

A post here is an implicit agreement to provide pictures of your finished build.

• Options

A post here is an implicit agreement to provide pictures of your finished build.

It's true. It was in the EULA.

• Options

People should really read that rather than just click through. You'd be surprised how many thread regulars don't realize they're obligated to give me a kidney if necessary.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012

People should really read that rather than just click through. You'd be surprised how many thread regulars don't realize they're obligated to give me a kidney if necessary.

Now you have to post a picture of all those kidneys stacked up like cordwood.

So anyway, My plan is thus: My gaming box is
    • Radeon 5770
    • Phenom II X3 720 unlocked and overclocked to 3.2Ghz quadcore.
    • 120GB Intel SSD and 1TB HD

I mostly want to move on to an Intel Ivy Bridge build and onto an nVidia card, as I'd like to get away from ATI's drivers. My plan as it sits is
    • 660 Ti ($300)
    • Core i5 3570K 3.4Ghz ($230)
    • ASUS P8Z77-V Z77 Mobo ($150)
    • SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ($80)

That is about $760... which is way more than I've ever spent on computer parts, but I'm doing much better financially these days so I'm ready to move up in the world, computer wise.

When it happens I will post pictures :)

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho