Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Bemoan the passing of the old thread, but celebrate the new!

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    galaxy makes some pretty alright stuff

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So you might have noticed my earlier post, I guess I'd better throw some pictures in the thread...

First we start with the case:

20121102_193445.jpg

Now all the crap I shoved in it:

Hellomypretties.jpg

All the good bits crammed in there:

20121103_201859.jpg

Aaargh shit cables everywhere:

20121103_204551.jpg

That's... uh... a bit better:

20121103_215817.jpg

Hey I know, I'll take a pic of it running to show the guys:

20121104_033501.jpg

Shit on my DICK that screen is bright:

20121104_033525.jpg

It's so nice! And fast! And Windows 8 is really cool, too!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    One thing - the nuts in the backplate for the H100 are slightly too long for this motherboard where the threaded tube locator part thingy goes through the cooler mount holes in the motherboard. Nothing I couldn't fix with the file on my Leatherman and some vernier calipers, though.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Have you tried out any of the 3D features on the monitor?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Lookin great there!

damn but the sabertooth leads to some clean looking builds. especially in a black case

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    I'm leak testing my loop.

pics of the changes to come tomorrow, assuming nothing bursts overnight.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Lookin great there!

damn but the sabertooth leads to some clean looking builds. especially in a black case

I could have got really anal retentive and colour-matched all the bits, and sleeved some cables etc. etc...

I'm just happy to install a game and have it say "Detecting hardware - Graphics set to Ultra"

• Options
    Dashui wrote: »

Not yet mate, I don't have any 3D media.

• Options
    Lookin great there!

I could have got really anal retentive and colour-matched all the bits, and sleeved some cables etc. etc...

I'm just happy to install a game and have it say "Detecting hardware - Graphics set to Ultra"

Feels good don't it?

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    ;-)

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

Not yet mate, I don't have any 3D media.

The monitor itself can convert any 2D image to 3D.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Alrighty, wrapped everything up and we are up and running again.

I added a pedestal to the bottom of the case and tossed it on casters so moving it around isn't annoying anymore, as well as isolating both the GPUs and CPU/northbridge blocks with quick disconnects so i can pull components without doing an entire loop drain and rebuild in the future. The pedestal let me move the rads around to just have more space in general to work with, so was able to move the reservoir up front where i'd initially wanted it.

I also took the opportunity to drop in my revo drive and xonar stx, as well as an HDD hotswap bay.

BVXfN.jpg

Minor pic dump

Old setup:
    dFUet.jpg

yieRz.jpg

NNrjS.jpg

New setup:
    IHMq1.jpg

6Y2qj.jpg

mkmTX.jpg

Bunch more pics here

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, Revodrive?

You got the sickness, baaad...

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    getting all my stuff today

scared of somehow fucking things up

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    As soon as my bonus check clears the bank I can push the little button that says "Give me now" to my new rig. While it may not be compareable to some of the monsters you fine people have built it will be mine and I'm rather happy with what I was able to do for my budget. I'll take a couple pics when everything finally gets here just for funsies.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    getting all my stuff today

scared of somehow fucking things up

If you're not scared of accidentally bricking the whole thing you clearly need to be trying harder anyway!

I'm sure it'll go swimmingly though

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    I was abusive as all hell toward my stuff and my box still worked. You'll be fine.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Putting together anything but maybe a water cooling setup (or I guess working in a really cramped case) really isn't much different from putting together a LEGO kit.*

*I say that now, but I'm almost positive I'll make a post in here come January to the effect of, "Hai guys, I neglected some extremely trivial cable/plug/pin and now my box won't post, I can has helps???"

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    @Day of the Bear is that a Fractal Define R3 in the shot of the whole shebang on wheels?

• Options
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Putting together anything but maybe a water cooling setup (or I guess working in a really cramped case) really isn't much different from putting together a LEGO kit.*

*I say that now, but I'm almost positive I'll make a post in here come January to the effect of, "Hai guys, I neglected some extremely trivial cable/plug/pin and now my box won't post, I can has helps???"

Nah dude, just triple-check everything system by system as you go, and you'll be right as rain. I had to make ABSOLUTELY SURE I had all the things I needed plugged in to the headers on the top of my board in the right spot because if I fucked it up I'd have to pull out the H100.

Shit fired up perfectly first go, and even overclocked itself to 4.1ghz when I set my RAM to XMP 1600mhz. I do plan to go a fair bit further on the overclock, but I had one day of the weekend left before I had to fly out for 8 days, so I installed W8 and a game and played most of Sunday.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I helped my step son put together his computer and the thing didn't post. Forgot a power cable to the MB. To be fair the last time I build one of these bad boys they didn't have extra power headers on the board.

It's a brave new world.

Also, back when I used to do this crap all the time I had a friend who cracked his cpu being too rough with a cpu cooler. I'm now deathly afraid whenever I put on a cpu cooler even if I know my friend had the patience and finesse of a silverback gorilla. I'm not sure I'd worry about that anymore as the new socket designs do not seem to rely on you balancing the cooler on top of the CPU while you pull the tension bar down on the other side.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    @Day of the Bear is that a Fractal Define R3 in the shot of the whole shebang on wheels?

Yes

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I just wanted to say that I bought a radeon HD7950 and it's a BEAST. Really love it.

Also, What's a good non Creative PCI-E sound card? For 5.1 analog sound on gaming and music?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    "Day of the Bear" is that a Fractal Define R3 in the shot of the whole shebang on wheels?

Yes

Holy shit your case is huge

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So the EVGA support says the noise my GTX 660 is making under load is "Coil Whine", which they blame the power being fed to the card. So as I don't have another system with the requisite power plugs to test this theory I'm probably going to need to go to Fry's and buy a power supply, keeping the receipt in case they are full of it.

I suspect they are full of it, and it is just a faulty GPU. To be fair, the GPU actually works just fine, it just sounds like it will catch fire any moment.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    So the EVGA support says the noise my GTX 660 is making under load is "Coil Whine", which they blame the power being fed to the card. So as I don't have another system with the requisite power plugs to test this theory I'm probably going to need to go to Fry's and buy a power supply, keeping the receipt in case they are full of it.

I suspect they are full of it, and it is just a faulty GPU. To be fair, the GPU actually works just fine, it just sounds like it will catch fire any moment.

do you know the brand/model number of your current psu? Look it up on http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ they do some really in depth psu reviews including hooking it up to an oscilloscope to see how clean the power is. Could give you an idea if it is the psu or not.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Well I mean it's not entirely impossible that it's the PSU, it's 4.5 years old.

But it is the 380W version of the Seasonic S12 II.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Totally fucked up and didn't ground the motherboard properly

Everything is up and running more though

Can run everything I want

I can finally play sjyrim and shogun now

• Options
    edited November 2012

380w? whats the rest of your system, because that is a very small psu to try and run a 660 on. I would guess that would probably be the problem, your most likely over-drawing power on that psu as a 660 draws nearly 300w just by itself.

Foomy on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Totally fucked up and didn't ground the motherboard properly

Everything is up and running more though

Can run everything I want

I can finally play sjyrim and shogun now

Piiiiiiiics.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Foomy wrote: »

380w? whats the rest of your system, because that is a very small psu to try and run a 660 on. I would guess that would probably be the problem, your most likely over-drawing power on that psu as a 660 draws nearly 300w just by itself.

Note this isn't the 660 Ti, just the regular 660. I ran my Radeon 5770 on the same PSU in my old build with a >100W AMD Phenom II just fine. Now it's running with a stock-voltage Intel i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz so in theory is should be using LESS power, not more.

Both my 660 and my old 5770 uses just one 6Pin power plug, so really I highly doubt I'm overloading the PSU.

EDIT: Using this power supply calculator, it seems that my build should pull about 350W at full load, and that switching from AMD and a 5770 to Intel and a 660 was basically a wash in regards to power, though I am rather surprised how much more power they claim the 660 uses considering it uses exactly the same power plug as the 5770.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    ya the regular 660 runs at about 290-310w depending on the manufacturer, and an i5-3570k draws about 80w so combined your at the max of that psu already, add in the little bit of power for the rest and your over-drawing.

it might not be the cause of your coil noise, but it would be a good place start checking with a new higher wattage psu.

Foomy on
  • Options
    No, what I'm saying is that if it worked fine with my old CPU and 5770, which it did, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work with my new CPU and a 660, any additional power the new GPU might be using was freed up when I switched CPUs. Plus I assume the calculator is overly conservative, since it is from a PSU manufacturer and they have a vested interest in making people buy excessive PSU's.

But I have a pretty empiracal option here: I have a friend a short drive away who owns a Kill-A-Watt. I'll double check and make sure I'm still within spec, because even if I need to replace this PSU due to a hardware fault, I'm not planning to get more watts unless I somehow actually need it.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    well even if your within the theoretical maximum of your psu, they do run most efficiently at about 60-80% load. and when you test it with a kill-a-watt just know it's probably going to show about 420-450w, as at best it's 82% efficient.

it could just be that the age of the psu, plus a slightly different load balance from the components could lead to it not working as well, and causing a little coil whine. Your probably fine to just keep running, but my bet on the easiest fix to the noise is a new psu.

Foomy on
  • Options
    Yeh I assumed I was going to have to do some backwards algebra to figure out what the load was before effeciency losses. I should probably just brave the wilds of I-405, run to Fry's, and get something in the 400-500w range as BOTH the 5770 and the 660 spec sheets are claiming I'm underdoing it.

Plus the Kill-a-watt will not help me figure out if I'm overloading the 12v anyway, so. Maybe I should borrow my friend's oscilloscope while I'm at it :p

• Options
    Well the oscilliscope will let you test the ripple amd loads. probably not a useful thing to test yourself, but maybe a fun few hours if you enjoy electrical engineering.

• Options
    Foomy wrote: »
    Well the oscilliscope will let you test the ripple amd loads. probably not a useful thing to test yourself, but maybe a fun few hours if you enjoy electrical engineering.
    Hence the :p
    I don't really know how to operate it, using a multimeter is about as far as I've gotten on the EE side of things.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Anyone know where I can get some o-rings for my Filco keyboard? Feeling like I should dampen these browns out.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    elitekeyboards.com has landing pads for cherry switches.

• Options
    MasterCylinderMasterCylinder Registered User regular
    So I'm looking to build a desktop for the first time. I don't have any parts I can cannibalize, so it's all from scratch. I'm looking at a budget of $400-500 (not counting the monitor), so I'm happy with a rig that can run, say, ME2 and Borderlands 2 at 1440x900. After looking at Falconguides and the great info in the OP, this is the build I've come up with:

Case Diablotek CPA-8818 (Already bought)
    Motherboard Asrock B75 PRO3
    CPU Intel Pentium G860
    Graphics XFX Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
    PSU Corsair CX430
    RAM 2x SAMSUNG 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I'm not sure there's any need to spring for an Intel i3 at this level. I'm also not sure if there's a large difference between a regular HD 7770 and the GHz edition, but the GHz seems to be much more common. Those are my main concerns, but please let me know where else I've gone wrong :p.

I haven't included a monitor because A) I need to research them more than I have and B ) it will probably be part of my birthday wishlist.

sig.gif
    PSN: thpace | Steam: MasterCylinder