As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dividing Audio Output Between a Headset and the Desktop Speakers

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
I am trying to figure out if there is a way to divide audio output and keep say, Skype sounds and microphone tied to my headset and then put all of the other noise (Music, Video Game sounds, etc.) through my new desktop speakers. I only have my onboard audio of the Asus P8Z77-V PRO.

I've done all of the obvious things and looked in the Control Panel which sees both 'Digital Audio Devices' divided among the Front (Headset) and Rear (Desktop Speakers) jacks. But, everything falls under the general label of 'Speakers' and I don't know how to divide it up?

Or if this is even possible without a second sound card?

Here is the rig I am running and the OS is Microsoft Windows 7 Professional.

Case - Antec Performance One Series P280 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU - Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
MOBO - P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU - ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
SSD - Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s
1TB 7200 RPM SATA
DVD - ASUS 24X DVD Burner
PSU - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX650 650W

I am in the business of saving lives.
MegaMan001 on

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    You can do it in Skype, not windows. Just go into options. What plug is your headset using, though? Front Panel? How are all the plugs set up?
    If you have it on a front Panel for both mic and phones, it should be labeled separately from the back panel speakers.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    You can do it in Skype, not windows. Just go into options. What plug is your headset using, though? Front Panel? How are all the plugs set up?
    If you have it on a front Panel for both mic and phones, it should be labeled separately from the back panel speakers.

The front panel has a Headphone and Microphone port and whenever I plug in the Headset into those ports, all of the audio immediately goes into the Headset.

• Options
    I think Realtek usually has an option to NOT cut the back audio when plugging the FP connectors, but I'm using an X-fi on this desktop, so I can't look. Did you look around the Realtek control panel, not the Windows standard sound controls? If you don't have it installed, do it.
    If Realtek lets you do that, then you can set Skype to use the FP connectors and have regular sound coming out of the BP connectors. Oh, another thing I don't know if you already did, that might help:
    right click the windows volume icon, click playback devices (I'll assume you did everything else here right), select "communication" tab, click the "Do nothing" box.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I think Realtek usually has an option to NOT cut the back audio when plugging the FP connectors, but I'm using an X-fi on this desktop, so I can't look. Did you look around the Realtek control panel, not the Windows standard sound controls? If you don't have it installed, do it.
    If Realtek lets you do that, then you can set Skype to use the FP connectors and have regular sound coming out of the BP connectors. Oh, another thing I don't know if you already did, that might help:
    right click the windows volume icon, click playback devices (I'll assume you did everything else here right), select "communication" tab, click the "Do nothing" box.

Hey, you're right. There is an option to continue the back panel audio while the front audio is plugged in. Then I was able to set the Default Playback Device as the speakers and then tell Skype to use the headset. This is great, easy to hear people while gaming.

Thanks a lot, Stormwatcher.

This can be locked.

• Options
    Glad to be of help!

camo_sig2.png