As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where to Begin With Marvel

ratzofftoyaratzofftoya San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Graphic Violence
Hi guys,

I am a reader of DC superhero TPB's and issues of various non-superhero comics (i.e. Sweet Tooth, Chew, American Vampire, etc.--I tend to like the funkier stuff.) New 52 made it relatively easy to jump into issues of DC superhero stuff as well, and I've been enjoying that, for the most part.

That said, I'd like to dip into Marvel. But just finding out what the best ongoing series are won't do it for me, as I have an OCD-level desire to know "the whole story." So could you fine ladies and gents help me pick up on the Marvel universe with a few ongoing series, but also let me know what I need to catch up on (either through single issues or trades) so I can be fully clued in and up-to-date? Also suggest some other foundational things that may not be part of those series but provides good context for continuity. I've only read Marvel 1602, Morrison's New X-Men Omnibus, Miller's Daredevil (big-time ehhhhh from me), and Spider-Man Yellow.

ratzofftoya on

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I've got to say, that's a pretty big question. Are you more interested in X-Men stuff or Avengers stuff? Or maybe particular characters like Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, etc.?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Well the Marvel Universe is currently going through Avengers vs. X-Men at the moment, and will be done in September, so you might want to wait on the bigger books until October.

There have been some books that were recently relaunched that you could easily jump into that are all in one, like Mark Waid's Daredevil (vol. 1 and vol. 2 are out in trade format (side note: it looks like the vol. 1 hardcover is out of print and selling for 40+ bucks, whoa).

There is also Punisher by Greg Rucka, and if you like the funkier stuff I would recommend you look at FF by Jonathan Hickman

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    My usual recommendations:

Amazing Spider-Man. Starting with Big Time.

Uncanny X-Force. Starting with The Apocalypse Solution. This is sooo good.

Venom. Started just last year.

Ultimate Spider-Man. Probably the most consistently good comic of the last decade. You could start with the relaunch, but I recommend starting at the beginning.

Ultimate Comics: Ultimates. Ultimates has had varying quality, but this new version by Hickman after the ultimate relaunch is crazy good.

Wolverine and the X-Men. Everyone should read this. Delightful and funny.

Those are all ongoing.
    Recent classics:

The Immortal Iron Fist. This is the best. Everyone on the forums will recommend you this.

Hulk: Planet Hulk.

Also all of Cosmic Marvel, starting with Annihilation. Though it can be hard to track down the cosmic books. Expect new editions once the Guardians of the Galaxy movie is near.

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb