As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unable to access router page (Asus RT-N16)

jclastjclast Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Google so far has proven unhelpful, and I'm hoping that you fine folks will better understand my problem.
My router seems to be working just fine. I have an Asus RT-N16. I'm connected to the Internet and my home network just fine (I'm using it wirelessly on this laptop right now). I can access the external hard drive that I have hooked up to it as well. But when I type the router's address into a web browser it just spins endlessly instead of pulling up the admin page where I could alter settings and whatnot. I tried power cycling it, and that didn't help, but all of my devices came back up and could connect to the Internet again.

Any idea what's going on, and/or what I can do to fix it? Thanks in advance for the help.

camo_sig2.png
jclast on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Have you tried connecting to it through a network cable?

Some routers are weird about letting you into their settings wirelessly.

• Options
    Yeah, I've tried connecting to it through wired and wireless. No action from either my desktop (wired) or my laptop (wireless).

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Just to make sure, you're trying to connect to 192.168.1.1 and it's not connecting?

What's the internal IP address of the computer you're trying to connect from? It has to be on the same subnet as the router (192.168.1.XXX) though since your internet works it sounds like it is.

Edit:

The troubleshooting for that router suggests clearing cookies and temporary internet files if you can't access the router's admin page. Worth a shot.

Daenris on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Open a command prompt and run ipconfig, note your Gateway Address. This address should be the address you're trying to admin.

Additionally, try connecting using https instead of http.

• Options
    Yeah, it is 192.168.1.1. And all of the PCs I have tried from 192.168.1.x. I will try the cookies and temporary internet files thing though. If that does not work I am thinking about trying a full reset. It'd mean setting everything up again, but I would rather set it all up again and be able to work with it than have it work but be uneditable like it is right now.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    jclast wrote: »
    If that does not work I am thinking about trying a full reset. It'd mean setting everything up again, but I would rather set it all up again and be able to work with it than have it work but be uneditable like it is right now.

Yeah, that's what I had to do with the Belkin (blech) router I had for a while. It would occasionally just decide it didn't want me to access its settings from any computer, via any browser, ever, and would only let me in there again after I reset it entirely. Actually, come to think of it, it's a long shot, but you could try accessing it via a different browser. I mean, it probably won't do anything, but then again, computers are involved...

Essee on
  • Options
    After trying everything suggested here and another forum I frequent I'm in for a full-on reset. Between three different computers running three different operating systems and using three different browsers I'm just not destined to configure this thing anymore. Any mod can go ahead and close this down. Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

camo_sig2.png