As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why the hell does it have to be called Battles of Prince of Persia?

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
No seriously

It is a fantastic game. Absolutely fuckin rad. So why the hell do you have to make it sound like it's going to be a retarded throwaway title

When I see a game like Canvas Curse or Sonic Spinball I know it is going to be a shitty game that's been branded with a well known brand to trick people into buying it

So if you go and make a good game, and then throw on whichever brand your company owns that's hot right now, I'm not going to assume it's a good game. I'm going to assume there's some reason for taking a strategy game and giving it the branding of a highly popular action game. I'm going to assume it's because the game wouldn't stand on its own.

Seriously, who even falls for that shit any more

Does anyone go "OOOH PRINCE OF PERSIA WILL BUY NOW THX" and head straight to the register, even though the game clearly has nothing to do gameplay wise with the Prince of Persia games that gave you that positive impression of the brand?

Fucking hell, people.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on
«13

Posts

  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    When I see a game like Canvas Curse or Sonic Spinball I know it is going to be a shitty game that's been branded with a well known brand to trick people into buying it

    lexluthorwronggd3.jpg

    LewieP on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man what.

    Sonic Spinball was a good game.

    Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    When I see a game like Canvas Curse or Sonic Spinball I know it is going to be a shitty game that's been branded with a well known brand to trick people into buying it

    lexluthorwronggd3.jpg

    Well, I liked Spinball, at least.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I have canvas curse. It is not particularly good at all. It is a tech demo that shows off the DS's stylus and sells itself based on the fact that it's Kirby.

    Also Spinball was wretched on the Gamegear.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, that could be because it was the Gamegear version...

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    I have canvas curse. It is not particularly good at all. It is a tech demo that shows off the DS's stylus and sells itself based on the fact that it's Kirby.

    Or it sold itself because it's a great game

    Garlic Bread on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, that could be because it was the Gamegear version...

    I'd be willing to consider that possibility.

    But seriously, Canvas Curse really isn't much of a game.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, that could be because it was the Gamegear version...

    I'd be willing to consider that possibility.

    But seriously, Canvas Curse really isn't much of a game.

    I enjoyed it highly

    Garlic Bread on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, that could be because it was the Gamegear version...

    I'd be willing to consider that possibility.

    But seriously, Canvas Curse really isn't much of a game.

    I enjoyed it highly

    As did I. Except for Paint Panic. That minigame can go to hell. I am but a man nintendo! After drawing 85 things my hand hurts with a pain like that of a broken wrist so don't expect me to draw those last 15 perfectly! Just give me the damn medallion thing!

    Gilder on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, is Battles an Advance wars style game or is it an rts game?

    BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    So, is Battles an Advance wars style game or is it an rts game?

    Neither. It's tactics really not strategy. It's really a Fire Emblem clone set in the Prince of Persia universe, only the story mode follows different groups in different battles, so you get forced to switch armies a bunch and play with all kinds of different units and so forth.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    oh also there's a card collecting/deck building aspect to the game that's pretty sweet too.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's an SRPG? Now it's got my interest... talk about poor marketing.

    Then again, Prince of Persia Tactics wouldn't sound much better...

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game is actually sounded interesting to me. I had just written it off as a lazy arse bit of shovelware.

    BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It's an SRPG? Now it's got my interest... talk about poor marketing.

    Then again, Prince of Persia Tactics wouldn't sound much better...

    MY POINT EXACTLY

    It's not really even an SRPG though, you just move from battle to battle with cutsceney things in between. And it doesn't follow any one specific character, it tells a story from every point of view including the bad guys.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Sonic Spinball on the Genny was pure delight, and I weep for the poor, ignorant philistines who don't know any better.

    And a company would be foolish to not slap a popular brand on a good game if it can be done. Yes, lots of people do buy shit just because it says "Halo" or "Mario" on it, which is why the world has been cursed with novels about Star Wars and Halo and Dungeons and Dragons. If your game is good enough to stand on its own, then slapping "PoP' in the title doesn't tarnish the brand, and sells it to the people stupid enough to buy it just because it says "PoP".

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How can you not like Canvas Curse? It's so ... happy. Seriously, everytime I play that game, I smile.

    Incidentally, has anyone played that Marvel vs. SNK strategy game yet?

    Dirtchamber on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    This game is actually sounded interesting to me. I had just written it off as a lazy arse bit of shovelware.

    I heard it was pretty good from reading about it here, and I found it used for like $18 so I was all why not and yeah, as it turns out, my favourite DS title so far (New Super Mario Bros. included)

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Sonic Spinball on the Genny was pure delight, and I weep for the poor, ignorant philistines who don't know any better.

    And a company would be foolish to not slap a popular brand on a good game if it can be done. Yes, lots of people do buy shit just because it says "Halo" or "Mario" on it, which is why the world has been cursed with novels about Star Wars and Halo and Dungeons and Dragons. If your game is good enough to stand on its own, then slapping "PoP' in the title doesn't tarnish the brand, and sells it to the people stupid enough to buy it just because it says "PoP".

    Who ARE these people that bought it because it says PoP on it? It's nothing like a PoP game, so anyone who bought it based on that is virtually guaranteed to be pissed off when they finally DO play it.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Incidentally, has anyone played that Marvel vs. SNK strategy game yet?

    Is it out? If so, I'll get it and then say. Because I'm all for that.

    I didn't think it would actually get localized...

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Sonic Spinball on the Genny was pure delight, and I weep for the poor, ignorant philistines who don't know any better.

    And a company would be foolish to not slap a popular brand on a good game if it can be done. Yes, lots of people do buy shit just because it says "Halo" or "Mario" on it, which is why the world has been cursed with novels about Star Wars and Halo and Dungeons and Dragons. If your game is good enough to stand on its own, then slapping "PoP' in the title doesn't tarnish the brand, and sells it to the people stupid enough to buy it just because it says "PoP".
    Why do you say cursed? Some of the Halo and Star Wars books are fantastic.

    SilkyNumNuts on
  • DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is it out? If so, I'll get it and then say. Because I'm all for that.

    I didn't think it would actually get localized...

    According to IGN, it's due for an American release in February, so I assume that - if it's not out already - it'll be out pretty damn soon.

    Dirtchamber on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I <3 Canvas Curse.

    I don't think that makes me a bad person. You might be able to add it to the list though :)

    Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I though Fall of Reach was decent, at least.

    And bits of Ghosts of Onyx.

    ben0207 on
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What happens in Ghosts of Onyx.


    Yeah, the whole plot. Right now. GO!

    Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There's some sort of human planet and they're using kids as soldiers and the kids get trained on this planet and then some sort of floating eye/girder robots wake up and start killing people and then some proper spartans come and kick arse and they end up in some underground chamber and then the spartans to go to a dimensional pocket thing.

    Or something like that

    ben0207 on
  • Captain CharismaCaptain Charisma __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Marvel vs. SNK? Whaaaat?

    Anyone have info/screens?

    Captain Charisma on
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    Who ARE these people that bought it because it says PoP on it? It's nothing like a PoP game, so anyone who bought it based on that is virtually guaranteed to be pissed off when they finally DO play it.
    Yeah, but they still managed to sell one copy of the game based on the fact it's branded Prince of Persia. Even if the game sucked, licensing it as Prince of Persia pays off.

    Pooch on
  • BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Marvel vs. SNK? Whaaaat?

    Anyone have info/screens?

    There's no Marvel vs SNK that I know of.

    There's a Marvel Trading Card Game that's out now on the PSP and coming out soon on the DS and PC.

    There's also a Capcom vs SNK card game coming out for the DS.

    Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I agree with Pheezer on Canvas Curse and Sonic Spinball.

    I have no idea what "Battle of Prince of Persia" is, though.

    TheSonicRetard on
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is it out? If so, I'll get it and then say. Because I'm all for that.

    I didn't think it would actually get localized...

    According to IGN, it's due for an American release in February, so I assume that - if it's not out already - it'll be out pretty damn soon.

    Gamestop and Gamefaqs both list a late April release date.

    Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hahaha. I cannot believe this is a Pheezer thread.

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    So is the game any good?

    Echo on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Sonic Spinball on the Genny was pure delight, and I weep for the poor, ignorant philistines who don't know any better.

    And a company would be foolish to not slap a popular brand on a good game if it can be done. Yes, lots of people do buy shit just because it says "Halo" or "Mario" on it, which is why the world has been cursed with novels about Star Wars and Halo and Dungeons and Dragons. If your game is good enough to stand on its own, then slapping "PoP' in the title doesn't tarnish the brand, and sells it to the people stupid enough to buy it just because it says "PoP".
    Why do you say cursed? Some of the Dungeons and Dragons and Star Wars books are fantastic.
    Fixed :D

    Xagarath on
  • DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Backlash wrote: »
    There's no Marvel vs SNK that I know of.

    There's a Marvel Trading Card Game that's out now on the PSP and coming out soon on the DS and PC.

    There's also a Capcom vs SNK card game coming out for the DS.

    Yep, sorry - my bad. I meant Capcom vs. SNK.

    Dirtchamber on
  • Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I must disagree CC was a great game.

    Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tacking on the PoP brand worked here. My wife bought ti for me for Christmas because she knew I liked SoT, and it turned out to be really good! Sadly, my DS quickly backlogged because I got a Wii (and crazy hard classes at grad school!)
    Does it have on-line play?

    Sharp10r on
  • MentisMentis Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I always thought it was canvas course...

    Mentis on
    Minecraft & XBL name: TheCJX
    Steam: Ashengor
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yes, lots of people do buy shit just because it says "Halo" or "Mario" on it, which is why the world has been cursed with novels about Star Wars and Halo and Dungeons and Dragons.

    Cursed? More like blessed. Those novels are rather good.

    Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This has become the "disagree with pheezer" thread (I liked canvas curse but way too short).

    Somehow I get the impression there are a lot of people who do no further research than the front (MAYBE the back) of a game box. I have no statistics to back this up.

    Agentflit on
Sign In or Register to comment.