As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do in Seattle

BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I decided that I need to take a vacation, and as I've always wanted to visit Seattle (plus UW is one of my top grad school choices...) I decided to go ahead and book a flight out for a week on the 27th.

Which leads me to...what will I do while I'm there? I've got a few friends that live in the area, so I trust they'd be able to come up with things, but well, they have actual responsibilities like work and things, so I won't be spending the whole week with them by any stretch. Anyone have suggestions for things a lone guy should do in Seattle?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
Blackjack on

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Here's my list from my visit:
    Underground Tour
    Good Sushi (Umi Sake House or Shiro's nearby)
    Pike Place walkthrough (Plan this for a breakfast or something, way more fun when it's bustling)
    Kayaking the Sound
    Sci Fi Museum (if you're into that stuff)
    The Art Museum is pretty good

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Also there's the Experience Music Project which is pretty neat.

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    The Ferris Wheel is only recommended if you're a gigantic fan of ferris wheels.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    The "Ride the Ducks" tour is actually pretty fun if you're into the guided tours type thing. It's an amphibious vehicle that drives around the city/into lake union.

You should stop by Paseo and get a cuban sandwhich. They are delicious. Although they may or may not be open on any given day, often close early, and pretty much always have long lines. But I like grabbing a sandwich, then walking 6 or 7 blocks south and sitting by the water while I eat (this applies to the Fremont Paseo).

Maybe catch a movie at the pacific science center (the boeing theater not the crappy other one). It's like a 60 ft tall movie screen or something. I like it, and will be watching the dark knight rises there on the 20th. Could also do the experience music project and the SciFi museum that day since they are all at the pacific science theater.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I don't know what it's like getting there from the city but I loved the museum of flight whenever we took a day trip to the city.

• Options
    Pretty good suggestions. Thanks everyone. :)

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    So this is a longshot but does yuengling exist here? So far the lack of it is my only complaint about Seattle! :lol:

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    It doesn't look like it's available there, but I am sure you can find something to slake your thirst. Not finding a really good beer in Seattle would be next to impossible.

• Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    Go to the Boeing factory tour in Everett. I'm not sure what your transportation situation is because Everett is a bit of a drive, but it is so awesome and worth it.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    So this is a longshot but does yuengling exist here? So far the lack of it is my only complaint about Seattle! :lol:
    You are in one of the most brewery-heavy regions in the world. You should really try to expand your horizons a bit.

• Options
    I am expanding my horizons. That doesn't mean a yuengling every now and again would be remiss. :P

@saaruto my transportation system is basically primarily my feet and the occasional bus but I'll look into it thanks. :)

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    phoophoo Registered User regular
    A Theo Chocolate tour (in Fremont). They are not just a chocolatier - they contract with growers to grow beans, they import the beans and roast them in their own factory. You get a tour with samples for $6. They've got stingier with the samples, but it's still excellent chocolate. If you have the extra cash, I recommend getting their "confections" (aka truffles that they can't call truffles cause they are not round). They are worth the price tag.

Seattle has several beach parks that are free and fun to visit. Alki, Discovery, Carkeek, Golden Gardens, etc. Most of them are accessible by bus.

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    There is also the King Tut exhibit at the Science Museum. This is the last time it will be in North America for some time. Or so they say at least, but that sounds fun to me. Also the Seattle Aquarium is good to see, its on the waterfront so you could do pike place and that too.

If you are staying in Seattle itself with your friends you can get to most places with public transportation they have a pretty good system here, at least that has been my experience.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    There is also the King Tut exhibit at the Science Museum. This is the last time it will be in North America for some time. Or so they say at least, but that sounds fun to me. Also the Seattle Aquarium is good to see, its on the waterfront so you could do pike place and that too.

If you are staying in Seattle itself with your friends you can get to most places with public transportation they have a pretty good system here, at least that has been my experience.

You're already half way through the vacation, so I will just throw out a few quick thoughts that i had.

Having seen the king tut museum I would say only go if you are a huge king tut fan. I went in expecting to see some awesome king tut riches (like the solid gold sarcophagus thingy) and was somewhat disappointed; especially given the price. It was definitely not a bad exhibit, just somewhat underwhelming. As always YMMV.

Teatro zinzanni is an expensive dinner with a show type event, that is circus themed. My wife and I enjoyed it immensely.

Peso's kitchen and lounge is the best mexican food in seattle that I have found. And I like to think I've been looking. It does turn into a bit of a frat type bar as the night goes on though.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    The Seattle Pinball Museum is like a block away from the International District bus tunnel station.

A few bucks ($7 last time I went) and you can play all their pinball machines as long as you want. The place is a little cramped but well worth it if you want to play some pinball (both newer ones and a bunch of old mechanical tables).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You are in one of the most brewery-heavy regions in the world. You should really try to expand your horizons a bit.

East Coasters...

1300044776986.jpg?1301826641

Seriously, go on a brewery tour.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »

East Coasters...

Whoa. Don't lump all of us originally from there in that category. MA/NH/VT/ME has some the highest microbrew density in the country.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    schuss wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »

East Coasters...

Whoa. Don't lump all of us originally from there in that category. MA/NH/VT/ME has some the highest microbrew density in the country.

While vermont does have the highest brewery per capita, that's only because no one lives in vermont. This page has the number/per capita data for breweries in different states. Oregon is #2 per capita, and washington is #8. Both states have about 2-5 times the amount of breweries as any other state besides Colorado and California. Seattle and Portland folk are also apparently more likely to drink their microbrews than in any other city besides Denver. The northwest is rightfully viewed as one of the premier beer destinations in the world.

Jebus314 on