As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV Antenna

DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking at getting an antenna for my TV. I recently got rid of cable and have Hulu and Netflix, but with the Olympics coming up and football on NBC, it'd be nice to get some live channels. Does anyone have recommendations for antennas? I'm looking no more expensive than 25-30, and discreet is nice as well.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz on

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Bottom line is there no universal recommendation for antennas. It is going to depend majorly on your surroundings. Some antennas work great if you have decent line of sight, some work great if you live around tall buildings, some work great for weak signals, some work great for strong signals, ect... The first one fantasma linked is your best bet for just buying and seeing what happens. It should be pretty cheap, and it should work fairly well.

tvfool can give you a good idea of what channels you should be able to get and what their signal strengths will be. The farther way you are from the source the bigger the antenna you will probably need. Ranging from small indoor ones, to giant rooftop ones. After that it's pretty much a guessing game of trying to decide what your biggest problems will be, and find an antenna that seems to be designed to deal with those problems.

If you live in the city though, definitely try buying the cheapo radioshack set, and see what happens. Report back, because I am also on the fence about snagging one.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Just FYI, I believe NBC streams the Olympics live online.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/index.html

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the recommendations

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    It's only streaming for people with cable subscriptions.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    If you want HD you'll need to spend more than 25 bucks.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    If you want HD you'll need to spend more than 25 bucks.

There's nothing inherently different about an HD signal. If you can get any signal with the 15 dollar radioshack antenna, then you can get HD just fine. This guy tried out a bunch of different ones and found that some of the cheap radioshack antennas outperformed a lot of the more expensive ones. Again, it is most likely going to be hugely dependent on what the actual surroundings of your house are like, but do not buy anything just because it says HD or DTV or HDTV. All antennas are HD capable. You just have to find one that gets a decent signal for your location.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    There's a lot of DIY guides online for building your own HD antenna from Radio Shack parts for about $30 bucks that functions like the higher end HD antenna. It's actually pretty easy to do, but like others have said, it's really going to depend ENTIRELY on your area and the placement of the antenna as to whether or not you can get a signal.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I can get HD without rabbit ears on my TV, so uh, I'm sure the cheap ass radio shack ones will do just fine.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me