As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Software Time Forgot: Old DOS "Monster Creator" Game

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
This is a "help me identify this game" thread, just so y'know!

The game (although it was more like a children's toy) I'm thinking about was a DOS title where you could place down monster-centric stamps to create your own little custom scenery. I believe it had cartoon bubble stamps, meaning you could probably make a mini-comic with it. It might of also had printing functions, but I'm not sure.

The only thing I can truly vividly remember about it is that one of the "scenarios" (you could pick backgrounds before you stamped away) was a zoomed in view of a bath tub.

Pretty damn vague, I know. But any "creative" titles you know of from that era which mesh somewhat with my description will help me figure this out.

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That's not it unfortunately, although the effort is incredibly appreciated.

The game was very much a DOS title, and the graphics seemed more like an EGA palette than VGA.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's not it unfortunately, although the effort is incredibly appreciated.

The game was very much a DOS title, and the graphics seemed more like an EGA palette than VGA.

Darn. The Underdogs and Google are turning up nothing either, so I'm out as far as being able to find it goes. Good luck.

Suriko on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is this the one where there were like three different monsters on the screen at once next to each other?

I vaguely barely remember something like that.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Is this the one where there were like three different monsters on the screen at once next to each other?

I vaguely barely remember something like that.
    While that could have been for a title sequence or something, this game was a creation program at heart so you could easily place as many monsters or "stamps" on screen as you wanted.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The game I'm talking about was from the era when graphics were these little green dots on a black screen.

So I'm pretty sure stamps weren't an option.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The games were definitely past that then. The graphical style (as far as I can remember) was much more reminiscent of something like Commander Keen 4-6.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You kids and your new-fangled multi-colored games.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Okay, my memory of course is still foggy but I think the software was very similar to "Peter Pan and Robin Hood Fairy Tale Factory" by Hi-Tech Expressions:

peterpanandrobinhoodfaiuh4.png
    peterpanandrobinhoodfaiqa6.png
    peterpanandrobinhoodfaiik5.png

It definitely had print functions, I wasted a lot of ink on my cousin's printer because of this program.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm still not finding anything, but I did stumble upon the name of an old coloring program I loved as a kid (Electric Crayon: TMNT World Tour).

How about a bump, for luck?

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    prometheusmmivprometheusmmiv Registered User new member
    I know it's been several years, but was it Spooky Kooky Monster Maker? I played that game as a kid and it's exactly like what you're describing. A DOS game with various backgrounds that you can place monster parts onto to create a custom monster.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    @Mugenmidget so they see this just in case they check the forums again someday

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Wow, that game was about as old when this thread was first made as this thread is now. Time is a thing that happens, doesn't it?

• Options
    I know it's been several years, but was it Spooky Kooky Monster Maker? I played that game as a kid and it's exactly like what you're describing. A DOS game with various backgrounds that you can place monster parts onto to create a custom monster.
    That's the one! Thank you so much (and thank you @BahamutZERO for the mention)!

e3ORbfq.png