As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This [chat] may be illegal based on locale

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    casual eddy this is a p good article by an alcoholic. Might get some ideas on how to handle it from it, I don't know.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-things-you-dont-realize-about-addiction-until-you-quit/

interesting thanks

The thing about current alcoholics is spot on. It's just a rage thing. It's like ground glass being rubbed in as a reminder of your own failures. And there are a ton of little things. Like sugar cravings. I had them for years. Or how much I can get sick of ice tea. Or the urge I had to just punch a waiter because he kept coming over to ask if I wanted something alcoholic to drink. "Wouldn't you love a nice beer? Or we have a special on margaritas..." six times during a meal. Especially when I would have really killed for a big tall glass of vodka.
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    My mom texted me and said that my Oldest brother told her that he's an alcoholic and is living sober now. His fiancé helped him reach this conclusion

Whelp

is he actually an alcoholic?

your last sentence makes it sound like he isnt

He apparently he had a bad case of the DTs. My knee jerk reaction was to think OH OF COURSE SHE WOULD SAY THAT SHE'S TRYING TO BLAH BLAH

But then again they live together, she does really care about him, alcoholism runs, nay, gallops in my family, he's had trouble with drugs before, and I don't often get to see him so I wouldn't know either way

I cant be sure of anything but if the both of them think he shouldnt drink then I'm willing to get behind that.

is there a reason for that knee-jerk reaction eddy in terms of like stuff your brother's fiancee has said or done in the past or what

I don't think so. It was just an irrational kind of response

I mean my impression is that you don't just get the DTs. and no I quite like her. I don't know, it was all weird and sudden so I went through several internal responses over like a few minutes

DTs aren't super common. Feral would likely know better but it's under 10% of alcoholics that get actual DTs. More then half of alcoholics who quit will have some symptoms. But actual DTs are really dangerous and can be lethal. But some people use the term DTs to cover any of the withdrawal symptoms and there are a bunch. But the symptoms will show up pretty quickly after stopping. Some go away quickly, some like confusion can last a while. It's not particularly fun.

The first year is tough. There is a lot of learning who you are sober, a lot of learning how to be a sober person, and a lot of learning how to deal with social tasks. And it's an emotional roller coaster. There might be a happy alcoholic somewhere but I've never met one. There is a lot of shit that the alcohol helps you repress that's gonna come up.

any advice for me? I guess I should mostly just step up my efforts to hang out and have non drinking fun with him

if he really is an alcoholic, don't drink around him or suggest it. This sounds obvious, but by god a lot of people still do it. And be aware he will probably slip and have a drink one day, so try to support him stopping again ASAP, rather than lots of blaming etc.

The falling off the wagon part is very likely. It's super likely. Expect it. Alcoholism has a physical part but the emotional part is using it as a coping mechanism. Drink enough and often enough and you can be so very numb. And when shit gets stressful, that numbness can be appealing.

Drinking in front of him is a double edged thing. It's always a reminder of what you are. But at the same time, the feeling that your a pariah who prevents others from having a good time sucks ass too. So for a while, don't drink in front of him. In time you'll be able to.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I just found out that my co-worker is descended from the people that held Killeen Castle in Ireland and has a small interest in the company that is now renovating the castle into a hotel and owns the golf course that was built on the estate.

That's kinda cool.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    If that is proof that America is a violent nation then Norway must be fucking thunderdome based on what happened a year ago on sunday.

Yeah, no, it's proof of jack shit other than the fact that there are disturbed people out there and always will be, and that your life can suddenly and without warning just... shatter.

I think that Moore could've been making a perfectly fine point if he hadn't been retarded and thrown his ridiculous politics into it. These kinds of shootings are very rare, and we're not going to get rid of them entirely. But we very much should examine the shooting, figure out what lessons can be learned from it and see if there's anything we can realistically change. There's always room to improve.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    and apparently the guy has boobytrapped his apartment with "sophisticated" explosives? jesus.

how did this guy not show up on anyone's radar

I'm still trying to figure this out. Apparently he posted he was going to do this on some internet community.

Even 4chan would've stopped that shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    @21stcentury

I am currently drawing.

Small teaser; sketched idea for his gun.
    29e3sdz.jpg

EDIT: Really shitty scan, though

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    If that is proof that America is a violent nation then Norway must be fucking thunderdome based on what happened a year ago on sunday.

Yeah, no, it's proof of jack shit other than the fact that there are disturbed people out there and always will be, and that your life can suddenly and without warning just... shatter.

I think that Moore could've been making a perfectly fine point if he hadn't been retarded and thrown his ridiculous politics into it. These kinds of shootings are very rare, and we're not going to get rid of them entirely. But we very much should examine the shooting, figure out what lessons can be learned from it and see if there's anything we can realistically change. There's always room to improve.

the one common thread through all these shootings always seems to be that the person (in retrospect) was plainly dangerous and somehow society let them slip through the cracks

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

not now, before anyone knows anything at all about it.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Alcohol has calories. Since a whole lot of an alcoholic's caloric intake comes out of a bottle, most alcoholics have very poor diets overall. So for instance, I would eat lunch, but by early evening, food would be replaced with booze. Drinking keeps the stomach busy, and alcohol suppresses the appetite. Then, maybe you binge on tacos at 2 a.m. As millions of college kids can tell you, the following day's result is known as "beer shits."

When you stop drinking, you subtract from the body all of those thousands of liquid calories, but now you're hungrier, so you eat to replace them. But a system used to digesting gallons of beer suddenly has pounds of meat and cheese to work on. It'd be like if a normal person spontaneously decided to spend a week slowly eating an entire moose.

The point being, have you ever shit an antler?

I'm told a less fatty diet helps with that. But the thing is that you're craving comfort foods. And comfort foods tend to be fatty. Does he mention the sugar cravings? Those suck.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    skippy your baby has a large head and small limbs

he also possesses a small nose

fix this pls

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Dark Knight was awesome. It was kind of disturbing driving home last night to hear about the shooting in another theater about 30 minutes from where I saw the movie.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    My mom texted me and said that my Oldest brother told her that he's an alcoholic and is living sober now. His fiancé helped him reach this conclusion

Whelp

He apparently he had a bad case of the DTs. My knee jerk reaction was to think OH OF COURSE SHE WOULD SAY THAT SHE'S TRYING TO BLAH BLAH

But then again they live together, she does really care about him, alcoholism runs, nay, gallops in my family, he's had trouble with drugs before, and I don't often get to see him so I wouldn't know either way

I cant be sure of anything but if the both of them think he shouldnt drink then I'm willing to get behind that.

is there a reason for that knee-jerk reaction eddy in terms of like stuff your brother's fiancee has said or done in the past or what

I mean my impression is that you don't just get the DTs. and no I quite like her. I don't know, it was all weird and sudden so I went through several internal responses over like a few minutes

Ah, alcoholism. I sometimes wonder if I'll one day wake up and have some sort of negative effect for not drinking.

The thought terrifies me. I enjoy days when I'm just like 'welp, lets not have a drink at dinner or at night.' because I'll in theory get a good nights sleep.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Prettty sure I could take him, despite the MMA onesie.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Dark Knight was awesome. It was kind of disturbing driving home last night to hear about the shooting in another theater about 30 minutes from where I saw the movie.

Glad to hear you're o.k. though Mazzyx.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    skippy your baby has a large head and small limbs

he also possesses a small nose

fix this pls

small limbs good for avoiding arm bars!

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Then again, many people get over the hump and people can drink around them. You should ask the person how they feel rather than a blanket "NEVER DRINK AROUND AN ALCOHOLIC."

I've seen a lot of advice questions from people dating an alcoholic who says point blank "I'm fine if you drink. I won't, but it's really no big deal to see others or be around it anymore."

• Options
    skippy does your babby fit batman onesie yet

i want to see batbabby

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    casual eddy this is a p good article by an alcoholic. Might get some ideas on how to handle it from it, I don't know.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-things-you-dont-realize-about-addiction-until-you-quit/

interesting thanks

The thing about current alcoholics is spot on. It's just a rage thing. It's like ground glass being rubbed in as a reminder of your own failures. And there are a ton of little things. Like sugar cravings. I had them for years. Or how much I can get sick of ice tea. Or the urge I had to just punch a waiter because he kept coming over to ask if I wanted something alcoholic to drink. "Wouldn't you love a nice beer? Or we have a special on margaritas..." six times during a meal. Especially when I would have really killed for a big tall glass of vodka.

Whelp

DTs aren't super common. Feral would likely know better but it's under 10% of alcoholics that get actual DTs. More then half of alcoholics who quit will have some symptoms. But actual DTs are really dangerous and can be lethal. But some people use the term DTs to cover any of the withdrawal symptoms and there are a bunch. But the symptoms will show up pretty quickly after stopping. Some go away quickly, some like confusion can last a while. It's not particularly fun.

The first year is tough. There is a lot of learning who you are sober, a lot of learning how to be a sober person, and a lot of learning how to deal with social tasks. And it's an emotional roller coaster. There might be a happy alcoholic somewhere but I've never met one. There is a lot of shit that the alcohol helps you repress that's gonna come up.

any advice for me? I guess I should mostly just step up my efforts to hang out and have non drinking fun with him

if he really is an alcoholic, don't drink around him or suggest it. This sounds obvious, but by god a lot of people still do it. And be aware he will probably slip and have a drink one day, so try to support him stopping again ASAP, rather than lots of blaming etc.

The falling off the wagon part is very likely. It's super likely. Expect it. Alcoholism has a physical part but the emotional part is using it as a coping mechanism. Drink enough and often enough and you can be so very numb. And when shit gets stressful, that numbness can be appealing.

Drinking in front of him is a double edged thing. It's always a reminder of what you are. But at the same time, the feeling that your a pariah who prevents others from having a good time sucks ass too. So for a while, don't drink in front of him. In time you'll be able to.

this is great to be able to read

• Options

i want to see batbabby

batman onesie is size 6 mos!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ss-047.jpg

Pokemon Conquest is a bizarre concept.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Prettty sure I could take him, despite the MMA onesie.

Of course you could, dee.

*waits until Deebaser isn't looking, puts $50 on the baby*

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    91898_v1.jpg

• Options
    I never have one drink and think "God, I need 10 more." Never.

I figure when I do, I will be an alcoholic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma3d-YdLjCs

• Options

i want to see batbabby

WELL GIVE HIM HGH THEN

919UOwT.png
  • Options

i want to see batbabby

I don't like labelnig size in months.

What if it's a big or small baby?

I think I'd be embarassed if I were a 5 month old and had to wear 6 month onesies, even if they did get to be Batman ones.

• Options
    solo was a fat babby everyone.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    91908_v1.jpg

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Seeing Nolan trying to do social commentary is embarrassing for everyone involved.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I like a drink at night in the same way I like sleeping 10 hours or a nice shower or steak and potatoes.

Not having those sucks!

• Options
    I like a drink at night in the same way I like sleeping 10 hours or a nice shower or steak and potatoes.

Not having those sucks!

methinks the lady doth protest too much!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

interesting thanks

Whelp

this is great to be able to read

I'm not an alcoholic, but I was a teetotaller in college for no real reason (and am now a part of the slightly less than two drinks society when I do drink) and I can easily add on to the whole annoyance of people being 'why don't you drink' instead of just being indifferent about it. As though you are silently castigating their life choices with your own. Not that you'll be doing that, and after all you know why he isn't drinking, but it's a thing that starts to grate after awhile.

• Options
    solo was a fat babby everyone.

I was an ugly fucking baby.

uWtjf.jpg

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    91898_v1.jpg

holy shit yes

• Options

Not having those sucks!

methinks the lady doth protest too much!

hush.

I'm MiO fasting at the moment.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @21stcentury

I am currently drawing.

Small teaser; sketched idea for his gun.
    29e3sdz.jpg

EDIT: Really shitty scan, though

oh my, i am teased! So teased!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

i want to see batbabby

kSl3t.png

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Apparently one of the women who died at the theater shooting last night survived a shooting in Toronto a few weeks ago.

Man.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Apparently one of the women who died at the theater shooting last night survived a shooting in Toronto a few weeks ago.

Man.

Wow.

• Options
    I'm MiO fasting at the moment.

bwah?

whyyyyyyyyyyy

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    jay cube

i see

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.